Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We see your stuff!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-24, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Knocky
Major

Re: Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities

I will reiterate, give them the same special the Spiker has.

Let em hold down the trigger and build up a massively destructive charge.
Old 2012-03-24, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
I will reiterate, give them the same special the Spiker has.

Let em hold down the trigger and build up a massively destructive charge.
Only if I can mod it to have Mega Man's charging noise and firing sounds
Old 2012-03-24, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
garinarbis
Private

can't a faction based on mobility go "kinda" both ways?

Instead of having a mobility thingy, have a deny mobility ability, semi crowd controll

Like some sort of a energy drag in implosion effect on a target thats 10meters away, getting him closer or something...

Yeah I'm not thinking to hard about this stuff, barely 10seconds, but might get someone else an idea
Old 2012-03-24, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Cloaking/Chameleon: This is off of Grognard's idea, I think it's worth playing with. The VS MAX has the capacity to cloak for a short duration. Moving while in this state drains the capacitor quickly. You might make it down a hall, but not much farther. The slower one moves the more efficient the generator is. When stationary there is no/almost no drain on the capacitor, but it won't recharge. This makes the VS an unpredictable opponent, as their MAXes can sometimes appear from what was thought to be secured territory.
NC squad makes it into the primary CC of a facility. The empty room is littered with NC bodies; the squad than throws a jammer into the room and 15 maxes decloak along the walls.

I think this would be awesome but very unbalanced.
Old 2012-03-24, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Azren
Sergeant Major

I bet it will have jump jets
Old 2012-03-24, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Biohazard View Post
NC squad makes it into the primary CC of a facility. The empty room is littered with NC bodies; the squad than throws a jammer into the room and 15 maxes decloak along the walls.

I think this would be awesome but very unbalanced.
Haha, at least they would not have the firepower of 15 locked down TR MAXes, or the durability of 15 NCs MAXes, and you really only saw them a few seconds after you saw the latter anyway In PS1 one you could have 15 VS MAXes suddenly fly up over a wall, and "appear" from no where.

I still think it is a legit ability, since each of those MAX specials probably has its own "unbalanced scenario" which is the point of trying to make a MAX special in the first place... an edge... With tuning, almost anything can be balanced.
Old 2012-03-24, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

In all honesty i wouldn't mind if they did have jump jets. I think they should be limited (maybe not as high as the highest jump jet.. or as far, ect for light assault) but given how the maps are now.. i think it is doable without them being too ridiculously over powered, especially since infantry can actually follow them now on all sides.

I suppose this may not feel special though, but if the NC MAX can have a shield again... that's nto special comapred to infantry etiher... If it does soemthing different, then the VS certainly should alos have something different. Charge shot still sounds like a great idea to me. Add a little skill to those kills. Maybe even a constant streaming laser that has an over heat gauge or something (basically a cool down timer) and uses X ammo.
Old 2012-03-25, 02:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Kran De Loy
Captain

So, Poll should be...

VS MAX ability
-Jump Jets, because...
-Horizontal Dash, because...
-Charged Shot, because...
-None of those because...
-I have a better idea, ...
-I have no opinion.

Also the poll should probably be open so we could technically see where NC, TR and VS supporters lean towards.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-25 at 02:43 AM.
Old 2012-03-25, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
atomos
Private

I think for the VS MAX special ability they should go with hover boots, just like skating in Tribes which can be activated whenever you want with no energy penalty but your movement speed will be dependent on the terrain inclination. Then include a short direction booster which is dependent on WASD keys and drains your energy resource. You could prohibite firing when in hover mode and add a melee mechanic to damage infantry so that if you boost into an enemy infantry unit they take some damage. The VS MAX special ability would then be terrain dependent for mobility with a secondary melee function. Possibly remove any sprint ability as well.

Last edited by atomos; 2012-03-25 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2012-03-25, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
patoYama
Private

Some of these have been mentioned already.

1. Phase shift: So matter could pass through them for a limited time. Maybe walking through closed doors.

2. Enhanced maneuverability and speed:
a) letting it hover and strafe like the magrider.
b) leting it collapse into a ball and roll arround metroid style

3. Decoy: Make a double of yourself for a limited time, basically a sentry, doing maybe 20% of the MAX's damage with limited health. Can only be identified by destroying it.
Old 2012-03-25, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Heaven
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Knocky View Post
The only thing I can come up with off the top of my head is to give em the Spiker charge up.

Let em hold down the trigger and unleash a single devastating blast?
Like Samus? yeah good idea, I agree that. that would be a good special ability for VS MAX.
Old 2012-03-25, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MonsterBone View Post
The VS maxs special ability should be as they die they lean over and hold their ankles for a spilit second before they do a face plant. That would be perfect.
Well the above would be preferable. I think being able to lay down and play dead would be a perfect ability for a max.
Old 2012-03-25, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Tattek
Private

From when I first saw Vanu MAX "wings", I couldn't think of any other special ability except than gliding.
Now, this may seem too situational, but it could start with some dash, so you'll have enough speed to glide like 5-10 meters up and then you could glide as long as you don't hit the ground, so it would be your choice to glide long and far but not so fast, or so fast that maybe you could even bash into something for pretty nice damage and surprise factor. It would be still most effective when used on some cliffs or mountains but that dashing phase would allow using it even on unfriendly terrain.
That all would be, of course, without access to weapons during gliding and between the phase of gliding up and phase of actual gliding you would be very vulnerable because of nearly stopping for a moment in the air
I apologize for this showcase of my crappy engrish skills.
EDIT
Ok, it looks like I missed info about possible glide packs for light assault which is now being discussed here: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=39980, so no gliding for Vanu MAX.
Then what about blink, but in form of first setting an anchor and teleporting to it over limited range (that could be shown), maybe automatically when MAX health gets very low, or maybe just when you use the ability second time (first time for mark, second time for recall).
I just don't know if anchor should be destructible/visible/lasting for limited period of time.

Last edited by Tattek; 2012-03-26 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I adore the phase shift idea, imagine hitting that as a missle or tank shell flies through you.

Should be an awesome melee ability where you come out of it inside an enemy player and they explode from the inside out. LIMB AOE!!
Old 2012-03-25, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I would be happy with jump jets tbh.

I mean, I see their reason for removing it as Light Assault also has it... but the NC MAX shield is a similar system to what all infantry have anyway.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion