Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oops, I killed Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-05, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
he's a self confirmed NC smurf lover
No wonder they got the JH, Thunderer, Van, Scatmax, Particle Cannon, etc...

VS is where the skill is (minus the Lasher, which is pure random chance).
Old 2011-04-05, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
SonjaBlade
Private

The list of Top Dogs coming and posting up info is very short indeed. Smed, you are one of the few, and definately my favorite. I know my outift has a bunch of people waiting in the wings to jump back, and a lot of us are still holding on tight. Thanks for all the great info.

See you in PS:N
Old 2011-04-05, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
wolfkrone
Corporal

The thought occurs that I might have killed Smed many times my lasher, or run him over with my mag mower.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by wolfkrone View Post
The thought occurs that I might have killed Smed many times my lasher, or run him over with my mag mower.
I fondly remember when Samhain would play under his own name. Whatever base he was at would quickly turn into a 3 way cluster as the other empires wanted to screenshot the killspam of them killing him. Too bad for most people he was a sneaky Jackhammer ho while playing on SamhainNC. The killspam usually looked the wrong way for screenshots.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
MrGreenJeans
Private

Hail PS:N

Gaming was the catalyst that brought me to where I am now, from PC enthusiast to Network Admin to Business Intel to Data Architect and now ETL Developer. Gaming was and still is the driving force that keeps me as well as others so deeply engaged within the world of electronics.

Without a doubt gaming was my gateway into a very successful “IT” career BUT, PS was my world!! From 1996 till present I’ve gamed…. And in all that time games have come and games have gone right along with my ever changing, ever updating “RIG” and out of all those years the one game I could never seem to fully get out of my head was PlanetSide….

PlanetSide, PlanetSide, PlanetSide… “Hail”, “We need a Gunner!!” phrases that no other gamer outside the world of PS would ever truly understand and or relate too.

So, with that I say “Hail” Smed and thanks to you and your team for all the hard work, late hours, and dedication devoted to a world that keeps me and so many others in the game!
Old 2011-04-05, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Jaxbrain
Private

Smed!!! You ROCK dude!!!

You guys hiring? I kid..
Old 2011-04-05, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
wolfkrone
Corporal

Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
I fondly remember when Samhain would play under his own name. Whatever base he was at would quickly turn into a 3 way cluster as the other empires wanted to screenshot the killspam of them killing him. Too bad for most people he was a sneaky Jackhammer ho while playing on SamhainNC. The killspam usually looked the wrong way for screenshots.
Might explain why I only saw SamHayne in the VR suite. Probably tired of being tbagged lol
Old 2011-04-05, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Varium
Private

Well even tho not much info from Mr. Smed as on a date for beta, still gives me a glisten of hope and excitement. Glad I read this thread, and keep up the good work.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Straws
Corporal

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
You know what else is an industry standard? An MMO having its launch date pushed back. Judging from the rather informed post you made, I can't fathom why this particular standard passed you by.
We "discussed" this in another thread previously, but I'll reiterate so my ealier comments in this thread reach an appropriate level of context.

The date of March being missed is not a significant issue here for me. It's a completely unrealistic release date being given in a very short timeframe that is my issue.

If the date announce in December was just "Q2" or "Summer", then it becomes "Q3" or "Autumn", that's understandable IF we are advised that this was going to happen BEFORE Q2.

We just had to wait until the very end of the proposed (aka "promiseomg") release date to be advised of it's delay. THIS is the issue regarding the date.

Yes, regardless, an announcement regarding a delay will be taken poorly by a lot of people that are waiting, but that passes. Look at GoW3's delay. April to Autumn, but they announced the delay back in, what? September 2010?

Now, I want to avoid getting bitchy on the subject like I did previously, but the video games market operates like most manufacturing and supply-based industries, and there's one thing that they all have in common, a missed date is far far worse than a delayed one. What is the difference? When you are told. People make plans based on these dates, and when those dates aren't met, it costs money.

The issue for consumers within the video game industry isn't a huge cost, because let's face it, the plans we would make would be limited to planning time off work. Anyone doing that before they have the product in their hands have a priority issue in real life. However, imagine the cost for a wholesaler that chose to promote the product this month only to have it amount to nothing and the product isn't released for 6 more months. Suddenly the announce date goes from minor one time cost to being unprofessional.

I find it hard to believe that the decision to update the hardware behind PS:N began and ended in the last week of March, but I'm not naive enough to say it's impossible, but I am brazen enough to declare it as a very poorly made, if not executed decision. (please note, that doesn't mean the decision itself is a wrong one, just made at the wrong time and handled in the wrong way).

Last edited by Straws; 2011-04-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 2011-04-05, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Thanks for the reply Mr. Smedley, I for one very much appreciate it (and actually fist pumped when I saw the blue name appear in the thread, the first time).

Some of us large-outfit types (and I imagine the smaller ones, too) were wondering if any more-intensive outfit-related features, and what kind, would appear in PS:N.

Understandably you don't want to release too much specific info yet, but put simply, in Planetside One the only real things outfits had were a roster window, tag, and chat channel. Nothing that really interacted with the game itself (like capturable territories or Outfit Home Bases, etc). So I wanted to pose this question to you.

What can we expect for Outfit organization in PS:N?
Old 2011-04-05, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
SonjaBlade
Private

Smed, is there any chance of large platoons? Maybe?
Old 2011-04-05, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Straws View Post
The date of March being missed is not a significant issue here for me. It's a completely unrealistic release date being given in a very short timeframe that is my issue.

If the date announce in December was just "Q2" or "Summer", then it becomes "Q3" or "Autumn", that's understandable IF we are advised that this was going to happen BEFORE Q2.

We just had to wait until the very end of the proposed (aka "promiseomg") release date to be advised of it's delay. THIS is the issue regarding the date.
I've heard this misconception alot and its understandable. I've seen all the quotes so you don't need to start pulling those out, but lets deal with reality here. Planetside Next has only semi-officially been announced to even exist, and a release date certainly was never announced in any official capacity. Let me repeat that for emphasis, a release date was never officially announced. Trying to use an offhand quote from early Decemeber as a set in stone release date is flawed. Plus we got information after what he said in December that updated that out of date info.

Frankly at this stage, it's absolutely pointless to dwell on a quote from a quasi-interview from December. Planetside: Next is coming, it's coming this year, and we will be getting much more information as time goes on, starting with the Producer's Letter this week.
Old 2011-04-05, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
TRex
First Sergeant

Imagine for a moment a guy just wins the lottery , and as he collects his winnings he notices someone in the street who looks hard on his luck and world weary ,and gives the guy 5 grand . Then he goes on his way .
The guy on the street asks someone else ''who was that'' and gets the reply from another person ''oh, he just won the lottery''.
The guy on the street who had recieved the 5 grand then shouts ''miserable git, he could have given me a lot more''

The point being , the lottery winner didn't need to give the guy any money at all but out of the goodness of his heart he did, to a complete stranger.
The guy on the street complained despite having some money in his own pocket.
Some people will never be happy.
Old 2011-04-05, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
What can we expect for Outfit organization in PS:N?
I'm hoping outfits, accounts and characters roll right over into Next. Albeit, as BR1 CR0...
Old 2011-04-06, 01:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

IMHO opinion outfits and gaming community are the strongest feature of Planetside. If you get the right outfit from the outset it is one of the key reasons players stay around as the relationships it creates very strong bonds between players. It really does aid retention and repeat subscription

PS is all about team work and getting people in with the right group straight off the bat is pivotal (IMHO). Get the wrong outfit with just some special soldier (dictator) wanting to get to CR5 and it can be very very boring!!!!

Game lore is important to set the scene and advance the game. People creating war stories and legends together is priceless and a very very powerful pulling point for new players. If you could provide a medium of sharing those stories with the masses then that could be marketing gold dust.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion