Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Make a wish
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Clans invited to play beta early!

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
This thread would definitely get my vote for troll of the year if it turns out to be so.

Even if it's not, I like how people feel about it, really. Like: "OMG there's already a beta stage, but I'm not in, wtf?" If it keeps up like that, I predict a strict NDA just to prevent people from rioting and spamming devs with "I'm good take me in!" messages through whatever communication method.

*Sorry for big font, but I really want people to notice my advice.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Akrasjel Lanate
Private

Misc Info

Yea -_-
Old 2012-06-13, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
I agree on the approach, but I don't think 2 clans coming on this thread and bickering about what they're up to and who can do the best gal drops was part of the plan?
Basically this. There is a need for both small nit group and large group outfits for this testing. Lets keep this kind of bickering out, it doesn't help anything.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Nobel
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Saifoda View Post
but you're only a "sergeant" you can't know that much!

trollolol
Some of us prefer to post only when we can present something useful to the conversation. :P
Old 2012-06-13, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Anderz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Some of us prefer to post only when we can present something useful to the conversation. :P
Well, you don't appear to have posted on the beta forums yet. Nothing to add to that conversation either?
Old 2012-06-13, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Saifoda
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Nobel View Post
Some of us don't smell like a big butt! <3 lol I'm sorry, I didn't sleep well, I'm not being very useful on here today.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Anderz View Post
Well, you don't appear to have posted on the beta forums yet. Nothing to add to that conversation either?
Now, now, this thread is a big dark pool of kerosene, don't go tossing matches
Old 2012-06-13, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
This is how it should be done. First invite the better clans, then open the floodgates to the public.
Aye, besides, regardless if they're in first or not, we've already had more of a chance than most gamers elsewhere to influence and see alpha. I hope SOE picks up this interaction with community format for development of other, future games too.

Think a lot of dev cycles (incl. cost) and potential annoyances have already been avoided thanks to PSU debates. Take the killcam for instance, now the first one we'll see is already "virtually perfect" pre-beta and can be fine tuned, rather than redeveloped a few times.

The early group should give an added impulse since they're under NDA, whoever they are and wherever they're from.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

No comment. i just wish i could play
Old 2012-06-13, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Balancing an mmo with not that many people sounds like a very shit idea to me tbh. Hoping they are just stress testing the server(s) or something.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Lorgarn
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
I hate that there aren't any 'serious' EU outfits.
Originally Posted by diLLa View Post
I might decide to start one if nothing is around.
I'd definitely be up for this as well. I usually create a friends guild/clan/outfit in most online games for me and my friends to hang out it. I wouldn't mind doing something a bit more serious for PS2.

/Offtopic (Kind of..)

This is interesting indeed, and I'm not against it, not by any means at all. It's a good thing and should be done more often. Sometimes developers just go with what they "believe" is fun instead of asking the future players of their game. Although we've been proven time and time again that SOE with PS2 aren't like that at all. It's good though, nonetheless! *ramble ramble*
Old 2012-06-13, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
ringring
Contributor
General

TBH I think everyone (so far) has taken the news that some have received invites and not them pretty well.

Personally I always expected to be in a later group.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
Pella
Captain

Originally Posted by Jownzorz View Post
No offense to any of those outfits, but they're more zergfit than anything. SOE extended these invites to outfits that had a very organized base and moderate numbers. For example, my outfit had about 15 active guys. All use vent, all were 8+ year vets, all signed up for beta. I figured someone would catch on sooner or later. Best of luck, mates.
You have no community influence. So in other words a nobody.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Just consider this a moment...

You're a developer of a hot new MMO, and you're on the verge of starting a closed beta. You've just gotten great press from E3, lot of interest in the game. Do you open the game up to the masses straight away out of that experience? Immediately doing so would be a poor idea. Going from in-house to 100's, maybe even 1000 players may show scaling issues. Do you really want to risk unveiling your game into closed beta with tons of rabid fans and having server crashes, login issues, and broken forums? That would be quite a disaster.

No, you want a pilot program first. You want to test out your invite system, your beta forums, login system, and how the server handles a larger amount than your in-house testing but not the thousand or more you might have in a closed beta. Doesn't mean you have this pilot for months, but it might be a few weeks long while they iron out any issues they find and get early outside feedback.

Once they've ironed out any scaling issues and bugs with their login/invite/forums, and fixed any issues that might cause any significant amount of folks to be jaded, they'll scale it up.

The pilot program for PS2 looks like this First Platoon program. Makes sense to me not to open the flood gates straight away. There is inevitable upset players but you're going to have that as long as you don't invite everyone and they can't so it's just something they (and us) have to deal with.

So then the question is who do they let in first? I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 2012-06-13, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
TBH I think everyone (so far) has taken the news that some have received invites and not them pretty well.
Just wait. Sadly I fear the rage storm is coming....

Cheers....

GG

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion