SOE does not intend to listen to feedback. Time for another method? - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-28, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: SOE does not intend to listen to feedback. Time for another method?

You didn't like the answer given = They don't listen at all.

We got it. Fight the good fight.
Old 2013-01-28, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
belch
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: Fitting outfit vs. Outfit fights into lore

Small, set piece engagements seem easy to explain. While the regular, conventional forces are tied up with the existing strategic obectives, a smaller outift sized element gets tasked to capture/reconnoiter/etc. an objective that was previously unknown/recently determined to be of value. Shifting forces to support long term engagement would be unwieldy, maybe even undoable in the short term...so an outfit get's "tasked" by the empire to seize/whatever.
Old 2013-01-28, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Sleepy
Private

The irritating element of the OP is not the SOE staff listening per se, but rather their utter dismissal of solutions found from PS1.

PS2's Dev team are all likeable, IMO. Nothing to see here chaps. However, it's the Masochistic pandering many of them exhibit when it comes to veterans/concepts of the Original game. Marketing 101. Say it enough times and the people will parrot the message ("we are listening" x 1000):

- Surveys from years ago to the PS1 community involving what we'd like to see as improvements to the game, whether it be iterative or direct additions/deletions of gameplay elements. Result: the only tangible elements which have returned are the actual Faction/Continent names. Base capture mechanics, continent size, vehicle mechanics (dedicated driver), weapon variety, Faction-specific weaponry, Generators, Cont Locking, Population locking, Sancs, Communication tools (most players in PS2 still use "yell" for coordination); the list goes on - all axed completely or replaced with rudimentary equivalents (stand and cap); ie, what we got was not PS1 + updated gunplay and much needed additions, but a bare bones MMOBF3.

- Countless answers by Devs to concepts/solutions from PS1 to solve or improve particular issues in PS2: "This is a different game. We love our unmatched PS1 community though! We aren't going to implement ground AMS though (remember this nonsense from Beta - took a metric ton of forum posts to get that through to them) It's a different game." Rinse and repeat.

I even had a direct response from Smedley on the Beta Forums (Rustcan) when I posited this faux-feedback loop with regards to PS1 concepts and veterans. Stated simply why ask Vets (during early-ish Beta) if you're going to ignore their commentary from PS1 systems. Yes, it is indeed a different game. No one is under any illusion which predecessor title formed the lion's share of PS2's direction. Yes, SOE is a business and has attempted to make MMOBF3.

Yet PS1 has much to offer as improvements even to this model. If the Devs keep asking for feedback, yet respond "it's a different game" when any PS1 ideas are put forth, some interviewer please call them out on that crap and have them elucidate exactly HOW. Don't patronize fans of the titular game (Planetside) by this 'oh we love you but NO' B.S. I like the gunplay of PS2, but there are ZERO siege and Metagame mechanics present, which is where they done goofed. It probably cannot be fixed until 2-3 more continents are added. When they are, PS1 feedback will be of great use, and hopefully they'll realize that it doesn't have to be such a different game after all.
Old 2013-01-28, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Revanmug
Sergeant

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
There's no shoving of anything in anyone's throat.
You are shoving it because you stand firmly against it for the unique reason of "lore and RP" and have been hammering this everywhere you go. You have the right to love that but very few does.

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
Sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.
- http://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox

Isn't having instances going against the sandbox idea because instances are segmented areas?
Segmented area that you can access whenever YOU want. There is nothing forcing you to go there at any moment.

-Esamir, Indar and Amerish are all segmented area. Are you saying PS2 ain't a sandbox game currently?
-Skyrim got 2398467324 almost copy paste dongeon segmented all around the world. Are you saying TES games aren't sandbox?
-Minecraft has many many server which each people's world but can be access by anyone if privilege given. Are you saying Minecraft ain't sandbox?

You put a definition up and you don't even bother reading it. Did you saw the "usually?" Can't you put 2 n 2 and realise segmented area as like most game have to do a section of the map/dongeon than travel to the next area without having much choice in what else they could do?

The CHOICE to do what you want WHEN you want is what create sandbox games. Not how it is done.

Please, RP all you want but stop using terms you do not understand as excuse to support your argument. It is the worst and the most annoying thing.

Last edited by Revanmug; 2013-01-28 at 05:37 PM.
Old 2013-01-28, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
The irritating element of the OP is not the SOE staff listening per se, but rather their utter dismissal of solutions found from PS1.

PS2's Dev team are all likeable, IMO. Nothing to see here chaps. However, it's the Masochistic pandering many of them exhibit when it comes to veterans/concepts of the Original game. Marketing 101. Say it enough times and the people will parrot the message ("we are listening" x 1000):

- Surveys from years ago to the PS1 community involving what we'd like to see as improvements to the game, whether it be iterative or direct additions/deletions of gameplay elements. Result: the only tangible elements which have returned are the actual Faction/Continent names. Base capture mechanics, continent size, vehicle mechanics (dedicated driver), weapon variety, Faction-specific weaponry, Generators, Cont Locking, Population locking, Sancs, Communication tools (most players in PS2 still use "yell" for coordination); the list goes on - all axed completely or replaced with rudimentary equivalents (stand and cap); ie, what we got was not PS1 + updated gunplay and much needed additions, but a bare bones MMOBF3.

- Countless answers by Devs to concepts/solutions from PS1 to solve or improve particular issues in PS2: "This is a different game. We love our unmatched PS1 community though! We aren't going to implement ground AMS though (remember this nonsense from Beta - took a metric ton of forum posts to get that through to them) It's a different game." Rinse and repeat.

I even had a direct response from Smedley on the Beta Forums (Rustcan) when I posited this faux-feedback loop with regards to PS1 concepts and veterans. Stated simply why ask Vets (during early-ish Beta) if you're going to ignore their commentary from PS1 systems. Yes, it is indeed a different game. No one is under any illusion which predecessor title formed the lion's share of PS2's direction. Yes, SOE is a business and has attempted to make MMOBF3.

Yet PS1 has much to offer as improvements even to this model. If the Devs keep asking for feedback, yet respond "it's a different game" when any PS1 ideas are put forth, some interviewer please call them out on that crap and have them elucidate exactly HOW. Don't patronize fans of the titular game (Planetside) by this 'oh we love you but NO' B.S. I like the gunplay of PS2, but there are ZERO siege and Metagame mechanics present, which is where they done goofed. It probably cannot be fixed until 2-3 more continents are added. When they are, PS1 feedback will be of great use, and hopefully they'll realize that it doesn't have to be such a different game after all.
dude, ive tried to explain that so many times, but they don't get it. its pointless. they just argue for the sake of arguing without pause to think about it because being right is more important to their epeen wagging. if any of soe reads this, take a good long look at it, because I'm done trying. I don't need to prove anything to anyone, for any reason.

fuck this.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-01-28 at 03:50 PM.
Old 2013-01-28, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
WeretigerRei
Private

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Lots of reasons, we absolutely want to know the sentiment about the ideas, and we will evaluate features based on those numbers. For instance, we will be specifically discussing the feasibility of bringing some of the later and more popular ideas forward in the schedule to get done faster based on community results. Once players can submit ideas (which hopefully is pretty soon) it will be a great method for us to use find ingenious ideas that might be a good fit for the game. And, in some cases, if ideas are unpopular we might reconsider them. We're not going to base our development schedule 100% on a popularity contest, that's never been the intention. Similarly, when players can submit their ideas and the #1 idea is "make all player characters into dinosaurs" with 50,000,000 votes, it still probably won't happen.
Firefall is using a particular thing called Uservoice (If I recall, let me double check that.) that allows players to post and vote upon various game mechanics. Each person is given 5 votes, and can place up to 3 votes on player or dev made topics/changes/whathaveyou until it is decided to YES or NO that item, at which point, the vote(s) are refunded and allowed to be put elsewhere.

Whether or not this is feasible for you guys is up in the air, but it's a pretty slick system. Mind you, their game is still in closed beta so the numbers are far smaller than what you folks are dealing with, but you see what I mean.
Old 2013-01-28, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post

Yep.

Old 2013-01-29, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Hamma
PSU Admin

This thread has run it's course. Several members have received infractions and bans off this thread. Time for a few time outs.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion