What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak) - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep it in your pants!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-30, 04:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Re: Voice communication in PS2

Originally Posted by AncientVanu View Post
Is PS2 going to have a built-in voice communication support or third party software will have to be used to communicate? How was/is it in PS1? Did different Outfits have preferable software, like Team Speak for instance, or did everybody use one specific Voip software?
Why would you think everyone used the same third party? Some people use Vent, some use TS, some use Skype. Would depend on what they have setup.

And PS1 did not have built in VOIP. From what I'm hearing though, PS2 is intending to.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
CutterJohn
Colonel

PS1 did have voice chat, technically. I'm unaware if anyone ever actually got it to work.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
AncientVanu
Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
it has vivox built in:
Any impressions on this one?

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
Why would you think everyone used the same third party? Some people use Vent, some use TS, some use Skype. Would depend on what they have setup.
Well I hate having multiple software that does the same thing and was wondering if a particular software has been the most popular.

Last edited by AncientVanu; 2012-01-30 at 04:35 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Coreldan
Colonel

APB uses Vivox. Not much to say about it.. In APB its forced proximity broadvcasting so even ur enemy hears you. So nobody who plays seriously uses it. I can see it be much more useful in PS2 though to give some instructions/communication to the zerg My peeps use TS3

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-30, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Vivox if done right offers a lot of possibilities that TS or Ventrilo can't, mostly to connect random players. So you get in a Galaxy and you're automatically copied into a new room with the gal pilot and the other passengers. You join a squad and you're automatically in contact with everyone else in it. That sort of thing. But I've yet to see a game that uses built-in voice comms where guilds don't use TS or Vent instead.
Old 2012-01-30, 05:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

PS1 had voice comm built in.

Any outfit worth their salt will have their own voice server (Teamspeak, Vent, mumble etc). Not only does dedicated software tend to be of a better quality (sound wise) but it allows your outfit to have comms in other games you may play together.

Outfits in planetside after all tend to be communities rather than just clans.
Old 2012-01-30, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
PS1 had voice comm built in.

Any outfit worth their salt will have their own voice server (Teamspeak, Vent, mumble etc). Not only does dedicated software tend to be of a better quality (sound wise) but it allows your outfit to have comms in other games you may play together.

Outfits in planetside after all tend to be communities rather than just clans.
This man speaks the truth.

Old 2012-01-30, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Knocky
Major

Concept is cool....however the jackoff's in chat are bad enough. There is no way in hell I am letting them whisper into my ear.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
Coreldan
Colonel

Once again about APB. They did the mistake there that they had it voice activation by default, meaning a LOT of people were constantly streaming some horrible background noise or broadcasting without even knowing (Once a few hundred people were listening to this guy being afk and broadcasting himself... have some private time with the missus).

So I basically disabled Vivox there as soon as possible.

So, SoE, do not make it automatically voice activation Also, option to not do proximity-broadcast is a big thing or it will be more harm than good in indoor fights and the likes.

Might be too much to ask, but having seperate PTT binds for some different chats could be awesome. Think if fe. squad leaders of a platoon could have their own little voice chat (much like they had a text chat in PS) or commanders of the empire could talk to each other over VoiP without being connected otherwise, much like in text form in PS1. Naturally, everything needs the option to be disabled. This also includes the more basic stuff like vehicle-VoiP, squad-voip, platoon-voip.. It's a lot of buttons though, but keyboards have room! And they dont all even have to be bound baseline, but having the option to would be cool.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-01-30 at 08:18 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Crator
Major General

^^^ Hopefully in-game voice chat in PS2 has some robust features. Us here at PSU have already voiced our concerns over this. Options such as being able to easily mute or ignore someone is a must! Most folks have said they will use their own voice solution such as TS or Mumble. We have yet to see what benefits the in-game voice might give us. If the in-game gives options that we simply don't have if we used a 3rd party solution we might see more use of it then we think.... Most likely, unless the in-game is really feature rich, you'll probably see the in-game and 3rd party voice used in conjunction.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Coreldan
Colonel

Even if the in-game VoiP was ground- and recordbreaking and it would be superwtfawesome, I dont think it would still be the end of 3rd party programs. WASP for one plays several games and we're a fairly big community and we have a 100 slot TS3 server. It's a big thing to have something that works regardless if you are in the game or not.

But as said, in a game like PS, even "as badly" as it was designed in APB it can work here, they are two so very different game. The biggest effect it had on APB was giving away your location (close range urban fighting with small teams as opposed to huge ass areas with 100 man zergs ).

I'm fairly sure the in game voip will be a good thing especially to be able to easily communicate with the zerg outside the outfit. There are very few decisions to make that could render it useless, the biggest one being they make it voice activation by default which will drive majority of playerbase to disable it cos its more convenient to mute half of the people you meet

Old 2012-01-30, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

If its open so that when you talk everybody in the general vicinity can hear you, I know myself that I'll have that thing muted so fast. I hear enough little kids on xbox whining to their parents about not wanting to get off. I sure as heck don't want to hear it on my planetside relaxation gaming time. lol

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-30 at 08:30 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

APB's Vivox has filters. Everyone hears enemies because they (enemies) are too stupid or lazy to check out sound input settings. The "Enemies" checkbox is out there asking to be unchecked, yet like 70% of the population doesn't know about it.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-01-30 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2012-01-30, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Coreldan
Colonel

fair enough, even I didnt know about it! Mainly cos I disabled back when RTW had the game and im 99% sure it didnt have that setting back then. I just sorta disabled the thing by habit when G1 took over.

But even then, the biggest problem is that by default you have 1) voice activation 2) broadcasting to enemies.

Immersion? I guess (if Johnny97 argueing with his mom is immersive from a bad ass thug). Good for gameplay? No.

Hell, they even implemented auto-ready into that game cos according to their statistics alot of people didnt know how the ready up (it even says on the screen like "press K to ready"), what do you expect from your usual F2P player? They certainly wont have the head to tweak all those settings!

Old 2012-01-30, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, I'll try it out if its in the game. But realistically I know my outfit will more than likely stick to TS or Vent. Easier to coordinate and easier to kick people the heck out of chat.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion