New Killcam - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Vanu are Watching.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: New Killcam

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Do you guys want to have a "Wait"/"Respawn now" choice on this screen, maybe with a count of near by friendly medics so you can choose if you want to wait for one or not. We were talking about having something like that, I think it could be cool. Right now it just dismisses after a few seconds and the respawn point selection interface comes up.
Yeah, that with at least a 30 second timer would be good.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Do you guys want to have a "Wait"/"Respawn now" choice on this screen, maybe with a count of near by friendly medics so you can choose if you want to wait for one or not. We were talking about having something like that, I think it could be cool. Right now it just dismisses after a few seconds and the respawn point selection interface comes up.
Yeah, I would like that. I believe it's quite similar in ArmA... You can lay around half an hour directing your comrad medic to you. Definitely adds to the immersion imo.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tssha
Corporal

That really depends on your revive system, now doesn't it? If you can be revived from the respawn screen, it doesn't matter. If you can't, it would make a good choice, but I know most people would "tap out" right away anyway and save themselves some time. As an Advanced Medic in Planetside, it was slightly annoying to get to a guy just to have him tap out before I can even start reviving him. Tends to discourage people to take the cert.

So, if you can revive from the respawn screen, that would probably be the best system for revives, and assuming you don't spawn any faster by choosing "respawn now", it doesn't matter if you put a "wait" button on the killcam.

If you can't revive folks from the respawn screen, then I'd suggest that be the case. At least, up until you respawn, anyway.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-02, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Tssha View Post
That really depends on your revive system, now doesn't it? If you can be revived from the respawn screen, it doesn't matter. If you can't, it would make a good choice, but I know most people would "tap out" right away anyway and save themselves some time. As an Advanced Medic in Planetside, it was slightly annoying to get to a guy just to have him tap out before I can even start reviving him. Tends to discourage people to take the cert.

So, if you can revive from the respawn screen, that would probably be the best system for revives, and assuming you don't spawn any faster by choosing "respawn now", it doesn't matter if you put a "wait" button on the killcam.

If you can't revive folks from the respawn screen, then I'd suggest that be the case. At least, up until you respawn, anyway.
Well, I guess my theory is in a big battle, knowing there were medics around that could help you out with teamwork would be pretty good reason to not just slam "RESPAWN" right away - 9 times out of ten if we can build mechanics that reward team work we're making Planetside 2 a better game. If there are no medics around you, then off to the respawn screen you go.
Old 2012-06-02, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Well, I guess my theory is in a big battle, knowing there were medics around that could help you out with teamwork would be pretty good reason to not just slam "RESPAWN" right away - 9 times out of ten if we can build mechanics that reward team work we're making Planetside 2 a better game. If there are no medics around you, then off to the respawn screen you go.
Yeah, i agree.. but i dont think just knowing medics are around goes far enough, it might be that they are pinned down, cant make it to you in time. If you can see a minimap with their current location and be able to disinguish if they are moving towards you then that gives you an indication whether of not there is any point sticking around. Dont you agree?
Old 2012-06-02, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Synnoc
Contributor
Private

I agree with everyone else that a wait would be ideal. My preference would be to wait by default and hit a respawn button when ready. This behavior is so ingrained in the PS1 player now that no one would look at it twice.

I also humbly suggest that you consider incentivizing the reviv-ee as well. Were there a benefit to offset the wait, it would encourage people to stay for a revive. In PS1, not having to run back was almost never a good enough incentive on its own, so I was imagining along the lines of minor XP or a bonus to implant longevity or something similar.

A reward doesn't seem like a stretch to me, as waiting for a revive could interpreted as "assisting" the medic.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

I think you should certainly have the option to 'not tap out' even if there aren't any in range. Because say you have a squad leader still up, and someone notices people down and "drop=pods" in as a medic. Definitely make it a choice to go to the respawn menu or wait it out for a few moments.

That said, I think there should also be a "do you want to be revived" message like in BF3, in PS1 you didn't have much choice in the matter sometimes, and I really think that was a good idea on the part of the BF3 devs.

Last edited by RedKnights; 2012-06-02 at 02:37 PM.
Old 2012-06-03, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tssha
Corporal

The key thing will be not costing the player any time if he doesn't spam that respawn button. If he respawns 15 seconds after his death regardless of how quickly he hits "Respawn Now", that'll go some way to easing the pressure to respawn as quickly as possible.

But yeah, if you can see how many medics are around you, I think a lot of folks would stick around knowing there's a friendly medic around, based on experience from Battlefield or similar games. But don't forget, the Planetside player is an opportunistic beast, and if it behooves him to respawn as quickly as possible, he'll slam on that respawn button first and ask questions later.

I'm also thinking of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory's respawn system, where you could be revived but, while that was happening, your respawn timer was ticking down in plain sight. Thus, you could always wait until the last second for a revive. If it didn't look like it was coming, you could tap out and lose no time. Remember though that the number one consideration of any player who has died is to choose whatever option gets them the most benefit for themselves. If that means tapping out right away so you can shave a few seconds off your respawn, then that's gonna be every player's go-to option.

Since there's a more unified timer this time around, it might be a good idea to display that timer in the kill-cam, so the player knows he isn't being penalized for waiting around a little. If he has to choose within a certain time frame whether to respawn or wait around a little, that timer would also be a good idea to display.
Old 2012-06-02, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
hypehype
Private

Very nice.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
likwidneo
Private

not sure if anyone posted this or not, didnt read all the posts, but one of the more annoying problems in PS1 is adv meds wud have their macros shouting "ADV MED. DONT TAP" or what, but most greenies wouldnt pay attention and tap anyways.

I think something that would be good wud be a "tap delay radius" whereby any dead within say 15 meters of a medic get like a 10 second delay before the option to tap pops up. something like that shud definitely be optional and the players shud have an option to turn it off, but at least it kinda forces dead players to at least recognize there is an adv med nearby, instead of mindlessly hitting the respawn button instinctively.

u cud even turn it into a medic class cert or something. and you could also negate some of the respawn timer penalty in exchange for having been affected by a tap delay radius to balance it out so newbie players dont feel penalized with extra respawn time just cuz there happened to be a medic nearby. kind of a complicated idea, but it would be kool.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Stardouser
Colonel

To be honest, here's what Battlefield 2 does and it seems to work well:

Your spawn selection screen can be accessed both dead and alive. You can spawn on your squad leader or at a flag that your team owns. So long as the squad leader is alive at the moment you respawn or your team still owns the flag you last selected, you will automatically spawn there on your next respawn. You can stop this from happening by simply bringing up the spawn map, and clicking elsewhere to deselect all spawn options, after which you will simply not spawn until you select a spawn point.

I happen to hate it when you must hit the respawn button every time to spawn, such as Bad Company 2.

Now, the complication with Planetside is this: Battlefield 2's respawn timer, 15 seconds, also happens to be the maximum revive timer after which you can no longer be revived. We don't know what your respawn timers or medic timers are, but, under the assumption that the medic timer will be longer than the respawn timer, there does need to be a way to stop this.

What if there was simply an option where you could choose to always automatically respawn at your last spawn point when your respawn timer has counted down, as long as it remains available?
Old 2012-06-02, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

I'd say yes to both options.

Options that give players an active choice in what happens are always good as they provide a sense of control.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Myomoto
Private

Maybe just extend your current timer untill it forces you to respawn to like a minute, with an option to go directly to the respawn screen after like 5 seconds.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Just "Respawn now" button. "Wait" button can cause some discomfort if accidentally pressed.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

I think something like that would be great Higby.

As a downed player, you need to be able to determine whether or not someone is coming to revive you.
Number of medics and whether or not someone is incoming would be really handy.

What about trajectories of those meducs too, so you could see if someone is making a beeline for you.

As a medic, if there was someway of committing to a revive, that could also feed into informing a downed player.
An indication of how long you have available to get to a player would be very useful too.
Charging across the battlefield, risking your own life, to revive and then having that player respawn just as you get there is very frustrating.
A timer on your HUD or above the players head would certainly help with that.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion