News: Planetside 2 beta plans - Page 85 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It doesn't matter what your K/D ratio is.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1261
bjorntju1
Captain

Re: Planetside 2 beta plans

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Smed says may be weeks before Beta Key invites start.
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/228311781393707008

Of course, Beta was supposed to be in a few weeks at E3.

Uh oh.
That is for people who aren't PS vets...

Beta starts next Monday-Tuesday BARRING ANY UNFORESEEN CONSEQUENCES, PS vets who have an active subscription get in first, after that PS vets who don't have an active subscription. After that people with piority keys, and after that people who signed up for the beta without a key.

The time frame he was talking about was how long it should take for piority keys to get in. at most a few weeks, maybe soon(hihi)er.

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-07-26 at 10:00 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1262
james
Sergeant Major

Smed says may be weeks before Beta Key invites start.
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/228311781393707008

Of course, Beta was supposed to be in a few weeks at E3.

Uh oh.
That the major problem there, as nice as a guy he is, he says to much.

I hope his weeks doesn't mean 3 months again. He just hasn't given a straight answer nor kept it clear at all. I have heard a fews days after beta, to months.
Old 2012-07-26, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #1263
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
That's why I said "beta key invites." Vets don't have keys.
Old 2012-07-26, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #1264
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
This ^^^

Please don't start going nuts over this.

Smed was answering this:

@j_smedley so how long should we expect the wait to be since all the ps1 vets get in before.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1265
james
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
This ^^^

Please don't start going nuts over this.

Smed was answering this:

@j_smedley so how long should we expect the wait to be since all the ps1 vets get in before.
This is correct, ps1 vets get in first then its a free for all with the people who bought the pc gamer and twitter and facebook whores
Old 2012-07-26, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #1266
Sephirex
Major

Found a glimmer of hope for the non vets.
https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/228309689522335744
fixed link to non-mobile site

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-26 at 10:06 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1267
james
Sergeant Major

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/j_smed...09689522335744
your link doesn't work
Old 2012-07-26, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1268
Coreldan
Colonel

It worked for me.

In tldr form:

Some guy complains that with only a key, he will be waitin 1-2 months to get into beta, to which Smedley replies that wont be the case.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-07-26, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1269
james
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
It worked for me.

In tldr form:

Some guy complains that with only a key, he will be waitin 1-2 months to get into beta, to which Smedley replies that wont be the case.
Now it worked, but still its means nothing
Old 2012-07-26, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #1270
Creezey
Private

I for one am just glad that the wheels are in motion. We're all very excited for the beta to start as I am sure so is the team. We're all itching to get our hands on the CBT but keep in mind - it's a beta.

As a game's community and CB Testers, it's our responsibility to give feedback and to find and report bugs to the dev team. I hope people keep this in mind during the process.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #1271
Xyntech
Brigadier General

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/228309689522335744
fixed link to non-mobile site
Oh wow. I guess that means that they intend to ramp up very quickly. Several thousand invites a day perhaps?

Obviously, as with everything, it's subject to change if they run into problems or delays, but at the moment that is sounding like they intend to fill up the closed beta with all beta applicants relatively quickly, as in within a few weeks. Given their propensity for delays, I'd say we could translate it to meaning that there is a very real possibility that all beta key holders will get in within the first 3 months of beta or less.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #1272
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Oh wow. I guess that means that they intend to ramp up very quickly. Several thousand invites a day perhaps?

Obviously, as with everything, it's subject to change if they run into problems or delays, but at the moment that is sounding like they intend to fill up the closed beta with all beta applicants relatively quickly, as in within a few weeks. Given their propensity for delays, I'd say we could translate it to meaning that there is a very real possibility that all beta key holders will get in within the first 3 months of beta or less.
That is going to be a lot of servers to say the least unless SOE gets in Amerish and Esamir soon. Damn I wonder if this is going to be on the level of the GW2 beta in terms of number of servers. At this point I wouldn't be shocked to see keys numbering 100,000 or more. Who knows how many will actually take part though.

SOE must be expecting a huge player base come launch to be wanting to get this many people in. Wow this is really going to get interesting. Hope everything goes smoothly for them.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-07-26 at 10:21 AM.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1273
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
That is going to be a lot of servers to say the least unless SOE gets in Amerish and Esamir soon. Damn I wonder if this is going to be on the level of the GW2 beta in terms of number of servers. At this point I wouldn't be shocked to see keys numbering 100,000 or more. Who knows how many will actually take part though.

SOE must be expecting a huge player base come launch to be wanting to get this many people in. Wow this is really going to get interesting. Hope everything goes smoothly for them.
Yeah. We're obviously just going off of what they tell us for what it's worth, but they're the only ones who know what they expect and what they will be able to support.

I suspect we will already have a working build of Amerish, even if it's still needing heavy polishing and tweaking, but even Indar will probably continue to get tweaked here and there up until launch and even beyond. So at least having twice as many continents may help things a little bit.

There also isn't as big of a stigma with opening and closing new servers in beta as there is in a fully launched game, and considering that each continent is pretty much it's own server and is merely linked with other continents to simulate a cohesive world, they'll probably be able to scale the number of beta servers to whatever is needed based on the number of continents they have available at the time.

I guess it makes sense on some levels though. How are they going to test and balance the game without having a shitload of players? It still won't be officially "launched" or "open beta," so they'll still have a higher percentage of people who are legitimately heavily interested in the game to make sure it gets tested right, but still... Damn. If this is a legitimate beta as they say it will be, and if it's as big as it's sounding like it's going to be, this could definitely be one of the largest closed betas ever.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1274
Sephirex
Major

It would make more sense to do 3 copies of Indar on each server, and then replace them with the new continents as they're enabled. That way, they don't have to worry about server merges or resource rebalancing for each new continent.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #1275
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

That would be a good way to track the actual server loads potentially. Will be entertaining to hear I'm on Indar. Which Indar? Indar #2. lol
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion