Breaking Lattice - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Im gonna eat pizza tonnight
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-08-21, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Re: Breaking Lattice

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
From what I've heard, Gal's had the ability to deploy at some point in the beta, and it was removed because everyone stopped using sunderers and it made it too easy to hop around the hex system.

Both of those issues are (mostly) fixed now, though, especially with AA being as prevalent as it is now, so I'd like to see the idea re-introduced.
Gal spawns are coming back, though they will be limited to Squad or Platoon use only.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-08-21, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
Zadexin
Corporal

I just think Alerts need to go away. They were a stopgap measure to get people fighting in big clusters. Now that we have lattice it isn't necessary. They just need to drop the alerts altogether. Every time I'm running with a big group capping a continent an alert pops up and all of a sudden its "sit in a biodome for 2 hrs."
Old 2013-08-21, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zadexin View Post
I just think Alerts need to go away. They were a stopgap measure to get people fighting in big clusters. Now that we have lattice it isn't necessary. They just need to drop the alerts altogether. Every time I'm running with a big group capping a continent an alert pops up and all of a sudden its "sit in a biodome for 2 hrs."
Completely different topic, but I couldn't agree more. I hate the artificial mechanization of player motivation. It's a persistent world, yet Alerts create stop times where 1/4 of the server logs off. They also greatly interfere with player created events.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-08-21, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
What matters is the fight going on in the immediate and surrounding area. In such fights there should be choices of where to relocate too, be it a friendly base from behind, a heavily fortified base from the front or bases on the side which could be owned by either side. Which could either have heavy fighting or not and at least give people an opportunity for smaller engagements at the side of the zerg (supporting the zerg. Something that can't be done with lattice currently if those side lattice lines aren't connected nearby).

Hex gave that option but it gave it everywhere.

Lattice takes it away by clustering everyone into the line.

It's not about hex and it's not about lattice. It's about having options and choices. We, the players, get no choice whatsoever now.
I don't think the lattice has taken away from this, and I personally believe the lattice has better potential in the long run with resources and the ability to do some resource disruption or other types of behind the lines work, like PS1 tech or interlink gen holds.

I fully agree with much of what you propose as fixes to the hex, but I believe they work better with a lattice. I was touting dynamic XP for base capping quite a while ago when I thought the lattice would never happen and we needed to think up a way to make the hex work.

There are still choices they are just different tactics, flanking is possible and probably MORE tactical to make it work, it isn't just surrounding a group dug in at a base they were trying to defend (which is part of what made base defense horrid. Even with improvements to the hex there was no real battle flow. If you tried to defend anything at all you lose the rest of your territory. Now it still can happen with the lattice, but it isn't about defending as much as it is farming a bio lab that causes that. The hex never appeared tactical to me, there was no real complex thinking it was a game of checkers where you could use both black AND red squares... there was less tactics and more chaos. It certainly wasn't a game of Chess. I"m not going to say the lattice is a chess game either, but it is closer to a game of checkers or backgammon. The choices are still there but need to be evaluated and considered. In order to flank your enemy you still have to FIGHT them, it isn't about just turning territory a different color and annoying those that were trying to have a fight it is about actually engaging and defeating.

Last edited by Wahooo; 2013-08-21 at 01:38 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion