Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-26, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
Only two games have ever concerned me on whether or not my computer could play them, PS1 and now PS2:

CPU: Core2Duo E7200 (Dual Core) 2.53 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 560ti 1GB
RAM: 4GB
Resolution: 1920x1080

I'm not overly concerned with the graphics, I have no problem turning those settings down, it's mainly my CPU that I am worried about.
GPU you are all set. CPU is actually bottlenecking that card I bet. You will be able to play the game, but not as well as some else with say a Core i5 2500+GTX 560 Ti.
Old 2012-06-26, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Only two games have ever concerned me on whether or not my computer could play them, PS1 and now PS2:

I'm not overly concerned with the graphics, I have no problem turning those settings down, it's mainly my CPU that I am worried about.
Originally Posted by Goku View Post
GPU you are all set. CPU is actually bottlenecking that card I bet. You will be able to play the game, but not as well as some else with say a Core i5 2500+GTX 560 Ti.
The only thing that may or may not suck about it is that you need to swap out your motherboard for one with a newer socket to upgrade to anything more modern. Otherwise, your only real upgrade is to a C2Q-Q9550 ($380): http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processo...uad+socket+775

It'd be actually slightly cheaper for you to buy a new motherboard and processor for it, and that would put you very high up on the CPU scale. If you're interested in doing that, feel free to make your own thread, so we can help you pick out the parts and sort any compatibility issues.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-06-27, 04:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
The only thing that may or may not suck about it is that you need to swap out your motherboard for one with a newer socket to upgrade to anything more modern. Otherwise, your only real upgrade is to a C2Q-Q9550 ($380): http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processo...uad+socket+775
If it was me i would keep a eye on ebay for one of the following CPUs for a direct replacement into your current PC. This will be your cheap option. (check your motherboard that any CPU is supported though, some 775 boards don't support all 775 socket CPUs)

Q9450
Q9550 <- best that you have a good chance of getting at ok price
QX9650
QX9750

These would also go but you are starting to get a bit weak.

Q9300 <-- Quad version of the Dual you currently have
Q9400
Q9500

You also have the Q8x00 quads and E8x00 duels that would be an upgrade but hardly worth it.

I have generally had good experiences with used CPUs but its always a little risky.

Last edited by Mutant; 2012-06-27 at 04:53 AM.
Old 2012-07-02, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
JoeBro
Private

Here's what I've got.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz 135 °F
Bloomfield 45nm Technology

RAM
12.0 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz (7-7-7-20)

Motherboard
DELL Inc. 0X501H (CPU 1) 106 °F

Graphics
DELL U2410 (1920x1200@59Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTS 240 (nVidia) 148 °F

Hard Drives
977GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FAES-75W7A0 ATA Device (SATA) 110 °F

Audio
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)

I got this as a graduation present in 2010 (Yes, it's a Dell )
I'm able to run BF3 at all medium settings on a lowered resolution 1280x800 and it runs around 45 fps. I want to be able to run this game on highest settings around 60fps. My monitor is a Dell 24 inch monitor - native res. is 1920 x 1200. Can anyone help me out?
Old 2012-07-02, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Depends on your PSU and budget. If you can throw money around I would look into a GTX 670 for $400. The GT 240 I wouldn't even try playing BF3 with that lol.
Old 2012-07-02, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #126
JoeBro
Private

I'm trying to aim for a GTX 560 ti - but I don't know much about PC parts, so I'm not sure if my PSU would be able to handle it, and I don't even know if my motherboard would let it connect. How can I find those out first?
Old 2012-07-02, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Motherboard is all set. Can you link me to your dell from their support site?
Old 2012-07-02, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
JoeBro
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Motherboard is all set. Can you link me to your dell from their support site?
Not sure if this will work but I looked it up by service tag.
http://www.dell.com/support/troubles...icetag=GZ6XJM1

EDIT: Here's the other page I was looking for: http://www.dell.com/us/en/bpi/deskto...xps-9000&s=bpi

Last edited by JoeBro; 2012-07-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Looks like a 475W PSU. I would be looking into a new one then. Between a 600W and GTX 560 Ti you are looking at around $300 to upgrade. If you want further advice on this please make your own thread. Just trying to avoid cluttering this thread up too much.
Old 2012-07-02, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
mobiusonegto
Private

I have not built a computer since i got back from iraq in 2006....i just bought a new asus ROG laptop....here are the specs

Intel [email protected] Ghz
16 Gb of ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 560M

if yall can give me an honest thought and opinion of if you think this well be good to play, i have been reading yalls post...and everything yall are saying is so lost on me...im in afghanistan for the next 2 months...or i would look it up myself...i just dont have the time...please help....
if yall could give me like a scale of 1-10 of how well you think this will do say with all settings and stuff set to 3/4 or so
Old 2012-07-02, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by mobiusonegto View Post
I have not built a computer since i got back from iraq in 2006....i just bought a new asus ROG laptop....here are the specs

Intel [email protected] Ghz
16 Gb of ram
NVidia GeForce GTX 560M

if yall can give me an honest thought and opinion of if you think this well be good to play, i have been reading yalls post...and everything yall are saying is so lost on me...im in afghanistan for the next 2 months...or i would look it up myself...i just dont have the time...please help....
if yall could give me like a scale of 1-10 of how well you think this will do say with all settings and stuff set to 3/4 or so
At medium setting, your laptop should be fine, especially if you run it at less than full HD. The 560 M is the weak link, but its several tiers above where we think will be the minimum.

IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-07-02 at 08:13 PM.
Old 2012-07-02, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
mobiusonegto
Private

At medium setting, your laptop should be fine, especially if you run it at less than full HD. The 560 M is the weak link, but its several tiers above where we think will be the minimum.
If i wanted to upgrade the graphics in my Asus, would it be possible, what could my laptop handle, and where would i go to do it??

http://www.amazon.com/Republic-Gamer.../ref=de_a_smtd

ASUS Republic of Gamers G74SX-AH71 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop

any help you could give me would be great
Old 2012-07-03, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #133
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If i wanted to upgrade the graphics in my Asus, would it be possible, what could my laptop handle, and where would i go to do it??

Most hear probably know just about as much as you concerning upgrading a laptop's GPU. I recommend searching around if its possible and if it is going to notebookreview.com forum to see what the best option for you is.
Old 2012-07-03, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #134
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Though your laptop has extra space for additional hard drives, upgrading a gpu on any laptop isn't that easy, and not really something that can be done on your specifically. Each laptop is designed with a specific processor's heat output in mind, and swapping a component can disturb that balance. Also, modern laptops will actually have the gpu soldered onto the motherboard, so replacing it means replacing the mobo, too.

The other aspect about any upgrade path for your laptop is the fact that the best mobile graphics from NVidia are currently the 580M (with the 680M too new to be viable yet). It's not that much more of upgrade in performance, especially if we consider the fact that it will cost at least $700.

Your laptop looks like it was designed to dissipate heat well. If your experience supports this (I.e. you don't notice overheating often), you could try overclocking it a bit to regain some of that performance that was lost when they dialed everything down to fit inside a laptop's thermal design. To do this, you need a cooling pad that helps the fans move more air through the vents, and probably a beefier power supply. But if done right, you could move to the performance of the 580M at about $200.

Otherwise, I recommend saving your cash and effort until you get stateside. For about $1000 we could spec you a gaming desktop that will be capable of running the game on high settings.

IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-07-03, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
mobiusonegto
Private

Cool Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

Though your laptop has extra space for additional hard drives, upgrading a gpu on any laptop isn't that easy, and not really something that can be done on your specifically. Each laptop is designed with a specific processor's heat output in mind, and swapping a component can disturb that balance. Also, modern laptops will actually have the gpu soldered onto the motherboard, so replacing it means replacing the mobo, too.

The other aspect about any upgrade path for your laptop is the fact that the best mobile graphics from NVidia are currently the 580M (with the 680M too new to be viable yet). It's not that much more of upgrade in performance, especially if we consider the fact that it will cost at least $700.

Your laptop looks like it was designed to dissipate heat well. If your experience supports this (I.e. you don't notice overheating often), you could try overclocking it a bit to regain some of that performance that was lost when they dialed everything down to fit inside a laptop's thermal design. To do this, you need a cooling pad that helps the fans move more air through the vents, and probably a beefier power supply. But if done right, you could move to the performance of the 580M at about $200.

Otherwise, I recommend saving your cash and effort until you get stateside. For about $1000 we could spec you a gaming desktop that will be capable of running the game on high settings.

thanks for you help, but with the arrangement that my wife and i have are that its one computer at a time. I still have my desktop that I built back in 2006, so it's a nogo for the new desktop. However, I have not had any issues with overheating on this Beast of an Asus out here in the 'Ghan...but then i havent really gamed on it yet. I will check out overclocking it once i get home. Again, thanks for your help.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum