End Game: Pros and Cons - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: where all bras are off!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
tazelhoff
Private

Re: End Game: Pros and Cons

I think instead of 'end game' conditions, we just need larger goals. As it is, we're fighting to have the largest territory of each continent, and that's about it. The only thing we're working towards is 'more'. In PS1, we could lock entire continents, which gave bonuses and such. That was a goal that felt good to achieve. Obviously continent locks are pretty much impossible for now with PS2's setup, but I think there could be some other large-scale goals that the empires could work toward.

Big goals would give us the feeling that we're fighting for something that we can actually achieve.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
End game is when you uninstall it.
No. It's just a begining of something between real life and planetside, and you know you will never get back your ps-free reality you used to have!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QRgtNKawrtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 2012-06-12, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Dairian
Sergeant

As many before me have said. Planetside is a persistent game. Therefore End game content is an awful idea in my opinion.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
What do you guys think of the idea of a weekend type event like that? During the week it's your standard persistent PlanetSide experience, during the weekend there are win conditions and you can sort of play "matches" which reset when someone "wins" or at midnight or something?

Maybe there are different servers you can play on that are set up like that?

NOTE: I have no idea if that'd work from our point of view, I'd have to think about it, so please consider this just me contributing to the conversation rather than an actual idea about something being added to the game.
No. Fuck that. If we want win conditions, we'll play BF2/3 or CoD. The ONLY win conditions for each cont is when a faction is kicked off. That is the ONLY form of 'win' that is acceptable. And really, the ONLY 'winning' move is to not play. There is no end to the fight. It is a forever war.

Yeah, it's something I've thought about from time-to-time. We have talked about "tournament mode", which would be something like an instanced battlegrounds where you could have 20v20, 50v50, 100v100 matches with a clear victory condition so you could have an outfit battle, or fight against rivals on your same empire from different servers, whatever. The worry has always been pulling people out of the primary game mode which many think should be sacrosanct. The very nature of a fiercely competitive game without a victory condition is a conundrum I've been wrestling with since starting on this project, it usually comes down to having to rely on "smaller" victory moments.
No "Battlegrounds". No battle islands. No goddamned caves. No instances. Don't go full retard on us and fuck it up like WoW or BF2. Don't fall into that goddamned mentality, you can do better.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-06-12 at 03:41 PM.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
ArbitraryDemise
Corporal

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
No. Fuck that. If we want win conditions, we'll play BF2/3 or CoD. The ONLY win conditions for each cont is when a faction is kicked off. That is the ONLY form of 'win' that is acceptable. And really, the ONLY 'winning' move is to not play. There is no end to the fight. It is a forever war.

No "Battlegrounds". No battle islands. No goddamned caves. No instances. Don't go full retard on us and fuck it up like WoW or BF2. Don't fall into that goddamned mentality, you can do better.

Over-reaction much?

Also, swearing much?

I have no problem with side-events that present a win condition. I will agree, though with less swearing, that battlegrounds and pop-limited areas defeat the whole purpose of Planetside.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ArbitraryDemise View Post
Over-reaction much?

Also, swearing much?

I have no problem with side-events that present a win condition. I will agree, though with less swearing, that battlegrounds and pop-limited areas defeat the whole purpose of Planetside.
God forbid you ever get on voice comms with me. And tbh, my overreaction is more because imo developers are falling into a stagnant mentality where nothing new or interesting is done to facilitate similar goals in new or different ways. It frustrates me (and im sure others) that this mentality is becoming ever more present. Higby sure as fucking hell can do better than that. To see it even considered then, is disappointing to see because it represents stagnation and regression into older mentalities when their time has come and gone already.

Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
Dreamcast
Major

What do you guys think of the idea of a weekend type event like that? During the week it's your standard persistent PlanetSide experience, during the weekend there are win conditions and you can sort of play "matches" which reset when someone "wins" or at midnight or something?

NOTE: I have no idea if that'd work from our point of view, I'd have to think about it, so please consider this just me contributing to the conversation rather than an actual idea about something being added to the game.
Well what I would prefer to make it seem like people were playing for something but with no end game like you said will be people fighting for new weapons/vehicles etc.

So perhaps Empires will have to take over certain bases to get the new update faster than everybody else

So an example would be a biolab base...maybe is needed for a new gun that you guys put a in a recent update....Well as soon as the update is out, people will need 100,000 resources coming out biolabs in order to get that certain weapon.

So it will create battles around biolabs and their will be a winner.

So once they have reached whatever resources they need with biolabs they get the weapon.

Then perhaps the other 2 empires are suppose to wait 3 days or they until they unlock the certain resources
Old 2012-06-12, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Well what I would prefer to make it seem like people were playing for something but with no end game like you said will be people fighting for new weapons/vehicles etc.

So perhaps Empires will have to take over certain bases to get the new update faster than everybody else

So an example would be a biolab base...maybe is needed for a new gun that you guys put a in a recent update....Well as soon as the update is out, people will need 100,000 resources coming out biolabs in order to get that certain weapon.

So once they have reached whatever resources they need with biolabs they get the weapon.

Then perhaps the other 2 empires are suppose to wait 3 days or they until they unlock the certain resources
stuff like that could work, with an arms race type gig with the obvious 'no instances or battlegrounds or caves or ancient tech' caveats.

Old 2012-06-12, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Phellix
Sergeant

Jesus, why was this bumped, it's from march.

NO.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post

I've always tended to favor this type of thing as a "win" condition.

Someone previously in a thread a few months back mentioned some ideas about having different empire benefits that could be temporarily unlocked through various win conditions. Something not overpowering and not something that would make players flock to one empire to try the new gun, but more of just a little reward that they would control for x amount of time after their victory.

I don't want to see the servers reset any more than they have to for maintenance. I'd be okay with smaller instanced tournaments now and then, but beyond that, I'd prefer it to be one never ending war with the only win scenarios being kills, hex captures, base captures, (region captures maybe) and holding every territory on a continent for as long as possible.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

I'm not too keen on events and matches/rounds/victory conditions to be honest.
They're all too articifical.

I think if we could get some of the ideas that have been floating around this area of the forum and the idea vault implemented, then that would go a long way to alleviating some of the endless war fatigue.

Stuff like Outfit homes/bases.
Outfit motherships.
Being able to customise/expand bases that your Empire has captured.

These are all additions that will give players and Outfits more reason to want to keep playing.
Without resorting to artificial methods that detract from the unique persistent war of PlanetSide.

I guess what I'm saying is give players and Outfits the tools to be able to put their own stamp on the world, and give it more permanence.

Give us the ability to build stuff ourselves, and that'll make us feel more attached to the world, and will give us more reasons to keep on fighting.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-06-12, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
maddoggg
Sergeant

I think that if they make it so that each season a winner faction is anounce on every server that would be really nice.
And than also have a best faction of the year in the particular server.

I dont think it would hurt the game if there is some sort of a score board at the end of each season,showing how well each faction performed and what your contribution to the hole war effort was.
Old 2012-06-12, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
SixShooter
Captain

I think that the occasional "event" even on the regular servers would be fine. You can have an event and not have to reset and start over when it's complete as an "End Game" would imply.

Old 2012-06-12, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
thegreekboy
Master Sergeant

I like the idea of an end game. It adds finality and an overarching objective to the game, and cuts down on one faction dominating the entire server.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Zolan
Staff Sergeant

>End-game
>Events
>Cycles
>Timers
>Matches
>Planetside

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion