What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played? - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It will pop your cherry
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-09-04, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
Kij
Private

Re: What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

I'll put a couple thoughts in here, if y'all don't mind.

I'm not a PS1 vet, so I don't have that to compare PS2 to. My FPS background is in Tribes 2 and most recently Blacklight Retribution, with some dabbling in some the CODs single player.

I don't really have that big of a problem with the class system. I'm quite pleased that I can say, "Today, I want to be a medic or engineer" and I don't have to unlock something first. And having the certs setup so that I can buy a different scope or some other thing I might want for my rifle is a nice motivator to keep plugging along to earn the cert points.

As far as the actual gameplay, I'm a little disappointed. Granted, you can ask anyone that knows me and they can say I've been hyping PS2 since I heard about it several months ago, so my hopes might have been up.

But, to me, my rifle doesn't seem very responsive. Even at close range, I don't actually feel like it's firing where I'm pointing it. Even when I do hit, I think I'd like to have an audio feedback saying that I hit on top of the redness added to the reticle.

It seems like it takes me forever to kill someone while I die very quickly. And then, hopefully I was died at the base I can respawn at, because having to travel on foot because the timer on the Flash is still ticking very quickly makes me feel like I don't want to keep playing.

Granted, part of the strategy of the game, as I have deduced is the logistics of getting a Galaxy setup near the action, but that doesn't happy with an outpost. When it happens with one of the bigger bases, the opposing faction focuses all fire on the Gal, resulting in spawning into a firefight.

I would like to see a different death animation. Sometimes I can't tell I just died until a second or two after the animation starts playing. Then again, I'd like to be able to survive a firefight. Right now, it seems like any firefight is a guaranteed death, with hopes of taking someone else down with me.

Anyway, I'm excited to keep exploring what PS2 has to offer. Hopefully I can either get better at staying alive or await a change by the devs in my survivability. Thanks for having me here. :-)
Old 2012-09-04, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Kij
Private

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
You know I would love to see a thread where all you non-PS1 vets could talk about what you guys would like to participate in this PS2 game. And all "vets" just stay out. It would be very helpful.

Hamma can you start and moderate it? ? Hell I know it would be next to impossible.
I'd contribute where I could. I hardly consider myself a hardcore FPS player.
Old 2012-09-04, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
The good;

- It's kept to the scope of the original and wasn't turned into some instanced small scale FPS.
This is on my "Kind of alright, but not really" list actually... Size does matter!
Old 2012-09-04, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
This is on my "Kind of alright, but not really" list actually... Size does matter!
Travel in this game sucks, this map they have atm is so poorly designed that using a ground vehicle just isn't fun. In Planetside I could travel from base to base easily in a vehicle but in Planetside 2 it's just so hard atm so I jump in an aircraft...

Well that's when there are resources, which I hate because again they restrict me and half the time I end up just quitting because I cannot be bothered to run... why is that even in the game? A cool down timer is enough.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Yeah travel is annoying. I feel like I'm always lost because of how terrible the map functions are. I either want to have free ability to zoom the minimap, or preferably be able to have a semi-transparent overlay of the big map.

I'm also not thrilled with how if you die you can only respawn at facilities close to where you died or the warp gate. If you get in an aircraft and are flying around and get destroyed, that could be half the map away from where you started. For me it's usually far away from any kind of vehicle terminal so it involves spawning at some remote outpost and walking back to the action.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Travel in this game sucks, this map they have atm is so poorly designed that using a ground vehicle just isn't fun. In Planetside I could travel from base to base easily in a vehicle but in Planetside 2 it's just so hard atm so I jump in an aircraft...

Well that's when there are resources, which I hate because again they restrict me and half the time I end up just quitting because I cannot be bothered to run... why is that even in the game? A cool down timer is enough.
I agree completely. IMO, the resource system helps perpetuate the F2P model better.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
KamiGaijin
Private

Well, I just tried it out for the first time today. My thoughts after this 18 hour caffeine fest:

-The mouse controls are dreadful. I mean, absolute-Skyrim's-PC-port shit tier. Has anyone tried hopping in a turret at a tower or base? You couldn't hit a turtle in those things, because not only is their turning radius restricted, but you have to run your mouse about 10ft to turn it 15 degrees. Flying is also extremely non-responsive. To the point that if you see something emerge from the fog in front of you, it's probably too late to try and dodge it.

-The infantry combat and vehicle combat are pretty good I'd say, but as has been mentioned, the terrain makes driving a vehicle horrific.

-Balance wise, all the starter weapons I've tried seem perfect. Don't know about any of the unlocks because I haven't got them yet, but so far I'd say 2-thumps up

-And now for my final point. I saved this for last because whether or not this is addressed will determine if I lose the little faith in SOE I have left. They have harped and harped on how the game is not going to be pay2win. But before finishing up today, I was browsing through the unlocks, and what did I see? Exp and Resource boosters that can be bought with real money. More XP and resources mean better weapons and weapon upgrades. If you pay to get get an advantage on the field of battle that those who don't pay won't have, even if it is only for the time it takes us dirty filthy poor peasants to farm up; IT'S FUCKING PAY 2 WIN. Right now these XP and Resource implants are shown as "unavailable" but if I see them become available for Station Cash, I'm out.

RoninShogun: Go through the back door and attack their spawn tubes. If we're quick and aggressive, they'll be helpless.
KamiGaijin: Yes, because no one ever expects a sudden penetration of their rear and assault on the reproductive area.

Last edited by KamiGaijin; 2012-09-04 at 04:59 PM.
Old 2012-09-04, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by KamiGaijin View Post
-And now for my final point. I saved this for last because whether or not this is addressed will determine if I lose the little faith in SOE I have left. They have harped and harped on how the game is not going to be pay2win. But before finishing up today, I was browsing through the unlocks, and what did I see? Exp and Resource boosters that can be bought with real money. More XP and resources mean better weapons and weapon upgrades. If you pay to get get an advantage on the field of battle that those who don't pay won't have, even if it is only for the time it takes us dirty filthy poor peasant to farm up; IT'S FUCKING PAY 2 WIN.
The free-to-play model does allow for some freedoms to the developer to allow faster progression to paying customers, as long as it's still possible for non-paying players to gain these abilities by just playing the game.

EDIT: But yes, it could be debated about how the developer goes about implementing the faster progression rates vs. the normal progression rates.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-09-04 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-09-04, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
The free-to-play model does allow for some freedoms to the developer to allow faster progression to paying customers, as long as it's still possible for non-paying players to gain these abilities by just playing the game.

EDIT: But yes, it could be debated about how the developer goes about implementing the faster progression rates vs. the normal progression rates.
I think it's just a matter of being extremely careful what is an unlock and what isn't. If you have stuff like the rocket pods and the flares and base-level AA in the store as unlocks, all of which grant someone a demonstrable advantage over other players, then it doesn't matter because it will be pay to win either way. The people who have the cash will be able to buy their way into those weapons while everyone else is stuck grinding it out for them.

The simplest way to avoid the problem is just to make the majority of changes the cosmetic stuff, but that's kind of the lazy way out. They have to make more unlocks like the MAX flamethrower, which is both a new gameplay option and yet not a direct advantage over someone who doesn't have it unlocked. It's the kind of thing people go "that's awesome, and I want one" not "that's unfair. I can't do that yet."
Old 2012-09-04, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Crator
Major General

@CrankyTRex I'm inclined to agree with you. Especially since it does kind of look like a pay to win option when there's a SC --- symbol alongside an option which grants lock on to ground vehicle capabilities.... But, I supposed that could be changed and we're just seeing an incomplete shop representation in the UI and that weapon isn't meant to be bought with SC... IDK....
Old 2012-09-04, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Token MF
Private

I've read all the replies and it seems like the community is pretty damn awesome. It goes without saying that vehicular combat and base mechanics will be tweaked. Theres a lot of things that need fixing. The game is practically unplayable on my machine so I have my fingers crossed for massive optimizations.

Matt and the team have started something really great with PS2, but I implore them look at 2 things. Revisit the class system, and bring back that iconic PlanetSide CC tension.

At BR10 or maybe when we are paying members, we should get an inventory and the class restrictions should go into the background, they should just be unlock trees or something. To be completely frank with you guys, if you think that PS1 commandos did anything to hurt teamwork, you have misunderstood the game. They perhaps had a few too many cert points, meaningful choices such as choosing to spend those last points on combat engineering or adv hacking probably hit a sweet spot around BR17-20.

Also please bring back the AMS

Last edited by Token MF; 2012-09-04 at 06:22 PM.
Old 2012-09-04, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Token MF View Post
Matt and the team have started something really great with PS2, but I implore them look at 2 things. Revisit the class system, and bring back that iconic PlanetSide CC tension.
I didn't play PS1, but I don't know why there is such a backlash against the class system. I find the Medic/Engy a little redundant and think those might be better suited to selectable equipment in the other classes, but otherwise I think it's a pretty solid structure and in keeping with most modern shooters.
Old 2012-09-04, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
RSphil
Contributor
Major

loving it. been part of some great fights and hope to see larger fights still. alot of things still need fixing ect but the over all experience is awesome.

cant wait to get more trigger time and fight for the NC.
Old 2012-09-04, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
texico
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by CrankyTRex View Post
I didn't play PS1, but I don't know why there is such a backlash against the class system. I find the Medic/Engy a little redundant and think those might be better suited to selectable equipment in the other classes, but otherwise I think it's a pretty solid structure and in keeping with most modern shooters.

Because PS1's freeform inventory system was better (well I haven't played Beta so I can't say that myself, but the opinion was that a typical inventory system was better than a typical class system). It allowed for you to tailor your weapons, equipment, amount of ammo, etc. to exactly your play style, as well as allow for more obscure and interesting roles, something which you simply cannot do in the other big shooters. Classes shoehorn you into a predefined role that "somebody" has decided for you and take away the kind of organic decision making that PS1 had.

It's a kind of RPG element that was strongly in keeping with PS1's persistence theme too. It feels more real-life being able to make active decisions about what you carry on your persona into battle, along with your little quirks.

And nobody really cared about what's in keeping with other shooters. The main thing we're concerned about is what's best. As well as the awesome graphics/technical upgrade, most of the vets want PS2 to take all the amazing things about PS1 (that never made it big-time because of SOE's treatment) and make THEM the new staples and landmarks for mainstream shooters to copy, and along with persistent worlds, huge-scale battles and continent-level and inter-continent strategy, the flexible inventory system was one of those amazing things that done carefully and correctly can trump the standard class system.
Old 2012-09-04, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by texico View Post
Because PS1's freeform inventory system was better (well I haven't played Beta so I can't say that myself, but the opinion was that a typical inventory system was better than a typical class system). It allowed for you to tailor your weapons, equipment, amount of ammo, etc. to exactly your play style, as well as allow for more obscure and interesting roles, something which you simply cannot do in the other big shooters. Classes shoehorn you into a predefined role that "somebody" has decided for you and take away the kind of organic decision making that PS1 had.

It's a kind of RPG element that was strongly in keeping with PS1's persistence theme too. It feels more real-life being able to make active decisions about what you carry on your persona into battle, along with your little quirks.
Well like I said, other than the medic and the engineer stuff, I haven't felt terribly restricted in the Beta, particularly since I can swap out any time I'm near an ammo terminal and/or spawn with no penalty. If you had to pick the class when you created the character and were stuck with it, then I would probably agree with you on this one.

Right now certing additional equipment takes a lot longer than I would be willing to wait if it truly defined what I could do, especially since that's shared with the vehicle stuff. So if I had to choose say, certing into having a sniper rifle or certing into having a pilot's license, I would feel incredibly restricted.

Originally Posted by texico View Post
And nobody really cared about what's in keeping with other shooters. The main thing we're concerned about is what's best. As well as the awesome graphics/technical upgrade, most of the vets want PS2 to take all the amazing things about PS1 (that never made it big-time because of SOE's treatment) and make THEM the new staples and landmarks for mainstream shooters to copy, and along with persistent worlds, huge-scale battles and continent-level and inter-continent strategy, the flexible inventory system was one of those amazing things that done carefully and correctly can trump the standard class system.
I agree that breaking the mold is always good, but there's also perfectly good reasons why certain things in modern shooters are the way they are. Having a class system reduces the learning curve and barrier to entry, if for no other reason than it gives people something familiar to work with.

I don't know if they're going to clean up the cert/upgrade interface some, but right now it's incredibly confusing. I think most new players would be absolutely overwhelmed trying to figure out how to just configure their character to do something simple like, be AT or sniper if there wasn't some kind of preset, which is all the class system really does thus far.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion