Dont think the HA should be able to fly. - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keep your eyes up here while we steal your TV.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-17, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
SergeantNubins
Corporal

Re: Dont think the HA should be able to fly.

Like I said though, it was just hinted, never mentioned outright. I imagine there's a ton of stuff they are considering or have been considering monetising that they never will.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Purple
Sergeant Major

Can anyone tell me what happened to this thread? i dident log on for a few hours and we are on halo 3 and paying to get resources?
Old 2012-06-17, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
SergeantNubins
Corporal

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
Can anyone tell me what happened to this thread? i dident log on for a few hours and we are on halo 3 and paying to get resources?
It was determined that the main problem some people had with heavy assault flying, was the issue of them bailing as a deployment tool.

The main counter to that, was that reavers cost resources so it would be very wasteful to do it. So now the conversation is revolving around just how wasteful is it, what methods are there to get resources etc.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

It's the internet, how are you surprised by a derail?

I think I posted this, but the only thing I'm actually opposed to is a dedicated "pilot" class. Too narrow of a focus for a class.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
Letten
Private

I am a part of this BF crowd and I assure you WE know how it is when fans of some other game comes in and tries to dictate how YOUR game should look. It is horrible, and it ruins the franchise, so whatever you PS1 vets decide, I will be for it.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

The HA is only going to use the flying vehicle to get to a location. People are going to find that gal drops are safer and cheaper
But rest assured...
Fucks will be given!
Old 2012-06-17, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Letten View Post
I am a part of this BF crowd and I assure you WE know how it is when fans of some other game comes in and tries to dictate how YOUR game should look. It is horrible, and it ruins the franchise, so whatever you PS1 vets decide, I will be for it.
Hopefully what the devs decide, with heavy input from the vets and a healthy amount of consideration towards other players from new games.

The devs have to stick with their vision though, or the fans will destroy it. It happened somewhat with the first Planetside.

Personally, I haven't seen any compelling reasons why LA should be able to fly an aircraft and HA shouldn't. Both classes will be balanced against each other and be valuable classes in their own right outside of piloting, and as long as bailing isn't the primary go to transport method for 90% of players, it really shouldn't matter what classes can pilot, as long as it isn't inherently overpowered.

MAXes would be inherently overpowered. Their AA weapons would have a good chance of killing the aircraft that downed them. The AV weapons that HA carry do not fall into this problem, at least not in footage we've seen.

Any discussion about bailing problems (engi's, cloakers, LA, or anybody using fighters for transport instead of Galaxies) is a derailment of the thread. The OP even clarified that he was thinking more along the lines of HA landing and getting out of the aircraft.

This is about whether the power difference in HA vs LA (or other classes) is enough to warrant restricting HA from flying. I believe that what we have seen and the design philosophies that we've heard indicate that there will be enough downsides and tradeoffs (in addition to their strengths) which will make HA just as good and bad as any other class in the game, unlike the uber Rexo we currently have in PS1.

So in my opinion, there is absolutely no valid reason to keep HA out of the pilots seat.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I also dont see why there needs to be a restriction on pilots, besides max. Hell LA have a huge advantage over every other class because they dont to get the ejection cert with jetpack. Just look at the E3 coverage with that Vanu pilot exiting then jetpacking back into the Scythe. BROKEN!!!
Old 2012-06-17, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Meriv
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SpcFarlen View Post
I also dont see why there needs to be a restriction on pilots, besides max. Hell LA have a huge advantage over every other class because they dont to get the ejection cert with jetpack. Just look at the E3 coverage with that Vanu pilot exiting then jetpacking back into the Scythe. BROKEN!!!
Can i get link with minute (if i don't steal too much time, really thanks in advance)?
Old 2012-06-17, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Rexdezi
Sergeant

I don't even know why this is an issue. Of course HA should be able to fly aircraft, not one single gameplay reason has been offered that makes any fucking sense whatsoever as to why they shouldn't.
Old 2012-06-17, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Rexdezi
Sergeant

Engineers shouldn't be allowed to fly because they can just get out and repair.
LA shouldn't be allowed as it makes ejector seats useless
Infiltrators shouldn't be allowed as they can get to sniping spots they otherwise wouldn't get to
HA shouldn't be allowed because they have a piss weak rocket launcher.

OP your logic is flawless.
/sarcasm
Old 2012-06-17, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Rexdezi View Post
Infiltrators shouldn't be allowed as they can get to sniping spots they otherwise wouldn't get to

/sarcasm
You missed one. Medics shouldn't be able to fly because they can hotdrop onto a hard to reach roof where LA's can fly up to for free healing, or spam healing and revive grenades on other troops from relative safety.

Also, engineers can set up turrets from evil locations on roofs (assuming they allow turrets to aim downwards).

This really is the wrong topic to be discussing. The real issue is bailing versus Gal drops. Rexo flying aircraft in PS1 would have been broken, due to the fact that it would make Agile armor useless, at least after the surgile nerf. HA flying aircraft in PS2 is a completely different matter and is not broken in any way. Period. Don't even need to see beta, because all classes MUST be relatively evenly balanced or else the entire class system falls apart. So if HA is ever overpowered as a pilot class, then there is a problem with HA in general and the class must be balanced. Flying is not something that will overpower HA.

MAXes it would overpower, because MAXes have a lot better AA weaponry than HA has.

Bailing, people, bailing. As long as bailing is well balanced to be less preferable than Galaxy dropping in most average situations, for most average players, there is no problem. If bailing is overpowered and overly useful, then that is the issue that needs to be addressed, because it will be overpowered for every class, from Light Assault to Heavy Assault to Infiltrators, etc.
Old 2012-06-17, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Old 2012-06-17, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Old 2012-06-17, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Purple
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rexdezi View Post

/sarcasm
Personal attacks are uncalled for. There was a reason i posted this asking for other points of view.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion