Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't you make me pull his pin!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-06, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #121
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay

They're probably working on the art, animation, and engine right now. Features like flight ceiling, outfit utilities, and squad sizes are likely to not be set for weeks or until beta. Thus asking for info on them is a bit pointless.

Saying that, I'm glad for getting any information. I'm one of those currently subbed just for beta access and I'm glad to hear that we will be in at the start. Hoping for an official announcement soon.
Old 2011-04-06, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
Nomaki
Private

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Saying that, I'm glad for getting any information. I'm one of those currently subbed just for beta access and I'm glad to hear that we will be in at the start. Hoping for an official announcement soon.
In the same boat, as soon as I heard that current subscribers would get immediate access to the Beta I subbed straight off.

Although with this delay, it's awkward to know how far off the beta will be, so I'll have to stop, wait for some form of date announcement, then ensure I'm busy destroying Vanguards in my Magrider when the beta date rolls over!

+rep to Smed for coming on here and giving some info, for a long ol' while I assumed any talk of a "Planetside Next" was an elaborate troll, but I'm glad to hear its existence from the CEO himself.
Old 2011-04-06, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
MuNrOe
Private

Will the see the mighty Ant make a return in PS Next ?
Old 2011-04-06, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
Ant001
Corporal

Well from what I can gather from the information given and the company news ..SOE is indeed in a bad way.

I am pretty sure they will be making sure PS:N is a hit because it has to be.

Free realms may work on the ps2 but will it be enough?

I am really interested about this letter that is coming out this week, what exactly is the informtion we are getting. I would guess it's not details anout the game but more along the line of " ps:n is a working title and we are working hard to bring you a great game blah de blah" In other words you will be told its still in development but no information as to exactly what it will look like.

But at least we know it is in development. But then so was the agency for nearly 2 years. Now it's vapourware.
Old 2011-04-06, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
otomotopia
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lucage View Post
Don't suppose you know what the minium requirements will be to run this game? Or just a general idea?
OS X Lion, an i7 2.77gHz, 8gigs of ram, 40gigs of SS HDD, and Two SLI'd GTX 460's (1GB GDDR5).
Old 2011-04-06, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #126
BicOfMarkov
Private

Originally Posted by Straws View Post
Then there was the announcement in December that it would be released in 3 months, before any solid plans for the public closed beta was announced. Again, another sign that things aren't following the industry standard. Again, very very scary.
There was a statement there would be an announcement in the first quarter.

Not which first quarter. 2011? 2012? SOE fiscal 2011?

People read way too much into a vague statement.
Old 2011-04-06, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #127
ASTRONIX
Private

Greetings from Russia. Thanks for the encouraging information, Mr. Smedley. I have a question for you.
Is there any chance that we will see the localization of Planetside:Next in different countries, particularly in Russia?

Best regards, Astronix
Old 2011-04-06, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #128
otomotopia
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ASTRONIX View Post
Greetings from Russia. Thanks for the encouraging information, Mr. Smedley. I have a question for you.
Is there any chance that we will see the localization of Planetside:Next in different countries, particularly in Russia?

Best regards, Astronix
Just to clarify, do you mean utilizing Russian Alphabet as well? Or would Romanic characters suffice?
Old 2011-04-06, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #129
ASTRONIX
Private

I have in mind about technical support, the alternative language in-game interface etc..
Old 2011-04-06, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #130
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Nomaki View Post
In the same boat, as soon as I heard that current subscribers would get immediate access to the Beta I subbed straight off.

Although with this delay, it's awkward to know how far off the beta will be, so I'll have to stop, wait for some form of date announcement, then ensure I'm busy destroying Vanguards in my Magrider when the beta date rolls over!

+rep to Smed for coming on here and giving some info, for a long ol' while I assumed any talk of a "Planetside Next" was an elaborate troll, but I'm glad to hear its existence from the CEO himself.

Who the hell said being subbed will get you immediate beta access? Cause no one said that. This isn't Gears of War 3 where if you buy this game your getting in 100%. Worst Idea ever to say what smed did, and what he said for CLARIFICATION is that people who are subbed will be more likely to get into beta than a random person. I imagine if you just subbed now thats still a far shot. If you've played since beta like some of us then you probably stand a better shot, but there is NO 100% your getting in.... unless your hamma.
Old 2011-04-06, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #131
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
Who the hell said being subbed will get you immediate beta access? Cause no one said that. This isn't Gears of War 3 where if you buy this game your getting in 100%. Worst Idea ever to say what smed did, and what he said for CLARIFICATION is that people who are subbed will be more likely to get into beta than a random person.
I believe Smedley clarified recently and said people who have a subscription will be the first people to get into beta. What he hasn't said is whether or not it's having an ACTIVE subscription, or just having once had a subscription on an account in good standing.
Old 2011-04-06, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #132
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Not reading whole threads fail. My bad.
Old 2011-04-06, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #133
Nomaki
Private

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
I imagine if you just subbed now thats still a far shot. If you've played since beta like some of us then you probably stand a better shot, but there is NO 100% your getting in.... unless your hamma.
For the record, I have been playing since Planetside's beta, but stopped for the time I was at University. <__<
And s'cool on the lack of thread readin'.

Hoping that the soon-to-come "letter" will have more solid details about release schedules, games features and stuff and isn't just a "We at SOE are working hard on Planetside Next which should be with you sometime before 2015..".
Old 2011-04-06, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #134
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I have to bring up the marketing strategy question again, as I am interested in things like that due to my field of study:

I am still wondering what Smedly was talking about in this one interview. Now we are talking about a delay of the game - this does suggest that the original plan really was to launch the game in March. (?) Or was it just the official announcement and release of the first informations that was to happen? Or the release of the beta?

Either way I think that the marketing for PS:N should start sooner. As I have mentioned before, Mythic did a good job with marketing Warhammer Online and creating a Hype long before the game launched (the game itself was not that good though): Monthly newsletters with screenshots, concept art and podcasts about the game and the game developement process etc.

I admit I did not follow SOEs marketing campaigns of other games, but I think they could learn a lesson from Mythic here anyway.

It does depend on how many players SOE wants to reach with the PS:N, but it seems they are putting quite some effort into the game, which hopefully means that they will invest some money in a (good) CGI trailer as well.

[/End of random thoughts and questions]
Old 2011-04-06, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Miir
Malvision

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
Mythic did a good job with marketing Warhammer Online and creating a Hype long before the game launched (the game itself was not that good though): Monthly newsletters with screenshots, concept art and podcasts about the game and the game developement process etc.

I admit I did not follow SOEs marketing campaigns of other games, but I think they could learn a lesson from Mythic here anyway.
Agree 100%

Also agree...PS:N Needs a CGI trailer this time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion