Major items from Twitter - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PU, Planetside Universe. It's one word people, just one.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-30, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Re: Major items from Twitter

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Thats what i mean, you arent limited by certs like you were in ps1. So if you have access to av then use av, not the rocklet. Honestly if it doesnt bring anything new, then its just duplicating a weapon, thats boring and waste of resources. I really like the idea of the weapon, but it needs a niche. Its kind of half ass thumper and half ass av, its half ass at whatever it does. Maybe some simple extra effects or variation on delivery or whatever. Its SA, so i think it should bring somethin different into play in how it functions and what its good for that someone with AV or a thumper could not do. Honestly tho, esp with customization, they wont put it in alongside a thumper without changin it up a bit. Its just so similar that you cant really customize each of em and have anything unique come out of it, way too much overlap.

In the end, i bet they get combined into one weapon. you choose whether you shoot rocklets or grenades. The weapons are way too similar for them to not just do this and let the customization part determine whether the projectiles are straight or lobbed, which is the only real difference.
The rocket gave you the same effect as the thumper. But it was useful in the situations the thumper wasn't. It did not serve the same purpose as AV. Which is to kill vechiles and maxes. The Rocket rifle could kill everything. If you by chance had two people with it in a tower drop it did wonders.
This is just not the only situation. The long BD, Hallways, the stair wells up and down. Infantry near walls.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-10-30 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2011-10-31, 01:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #122
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't check the forums for two days, and then I come back to confirmed flamethrowers. I can't ever leave you people alone.
Old 2011-10-31, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #123
Hamma
PSU Admin

Nope

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-10-31, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #124
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Yeah I certainly hope the Heavies can carry a secondary light-class weapon like a Cycler. I'd really hate to see the Heavy Assault class limited to carrying just one "two-handed" weapon at a time. For the light classes it's fine since they'll have access to other support/special abilities. But limiting the HA class to just one main weapon would be too crippling for a pure fighter-type IMO.

I'm guessing/hoping that the Heavy Assault class will be able to carry one "heavy" class weapon (HA, AV, Thumper), one "light" class weapon (ESMA or Sweeper), a sidearm, and a couple of nades.

So you could do MCG+Cycler, AV+Cycler, Thumper+Cycler, etc, but since I'm guessing the Thumper will be considered a "heavy" class weapon you couldn't do MCG+Thumper, MCG+AV, or Thumper+AV.
i guess its just their way of promoting teamwork?

though you have to wonder how a assault/HA will stack up against an AI MAX in terms of killing efficiency i presume a max would win that firefight and if it does and also kills regular infantry more effectively, then what the point of assault/HA?
Old 2011-10-31, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #125
TRex
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
i guess its just their way of promoting teamwork?

though you have to wonder how a assault/HA will stack up against an AI MAX in terms of killing efficiency i presume a max would win that firefight and if it does and also kills regular infantry more effectively, then what the point of assault/HA?
You need to cert heavy into HA to unlock Maxes .
Say your an infil in ps1 , you can just pick unimax. But you have ad hack , engi etc.
Now you need to choose , do you take medic or command or engineering or vehicles . Or put all your certs into HA just so you can use a max.
Likewise if you put all your certs into HA to unlock Maxes , you might not be able to cert much into anything else, especially if you want all the knobs to make available all Max stuff. Maybe AV is default max cert, and AI is higher up the tree.Maybe you need to unlock the duo-weapon arming etc.
Maybe with cert tree , you can add armour to Heavy to be almost as strong as basic max unit , and still be able to open doors ? Maybe light armour can be boosted to be medium armour by same logic.
Old 2011-10-31, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #126
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I bet Heavy Assault will still be able to do a lot of things that MAXes can't. I bet a MAX won't have access to some of the command features. MAXes won't be able to drive anything, HA probably can. HA can use grenades, while I assume a MAX can't. I'm sure there will be enough to make them distinct from each other.
Old 2011-10-31, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
Bags
Lieutenant General

They're planning to remove the ability for HA to drive things, Higby told me on Twitter. At the moment they can, though.
Old 2011-10-31, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Xyntech
Brigadier General

ATV's though? I can see preventing them from flying aircraft or even driving tanks, but you gotta at least give em ATV's.

Maybe they have no limits of any kind on HA driving every vehicle right now, but will be adding restrictions to them along the lines of Rexo restrictions from PS1.

Yay, more waiting and seeing.
Old 2011-10-31, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Bags
Lieutenant General

No idea, he just said they will be adding restrictions.
Old 2011-10-31, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
Raymac
Brigadier General

If HA can't drive ATVs then they better have a "thumb" emote because they are going to be hitching alot of rides.

Old 2011-10-31, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #131
Bags
Lieutenant General

Or a /leg emote.
Old 2011-10-31, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #132
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
If HA can't drive ATVs then they better have a "thumb" emote because they are going to be hitching alot of rides.
Well, if ATVS are any like the ones we know, then they blow up pretty fast anyway. So nothing wrong with letting HA guys drive them around. :>
Old 2011-10-31, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #133
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Or a /leg emote.
haha! Yes, I like your idea better.

Old 2011-10-31, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #134
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I bet Heavy Assault will still be able to do a lot of things that MAXes can't. I bet a MAX won't have access to some of the command features. MAXes won't be able to drive anything, HA probably can. HA can use grenades, while I assume a MAX can't. I'm sure there will be enough to make them distinct from each other.
The added mobility should be enough to convince some people to go HA over MAXes. Also, there might be timers for MAX suits. Furthermore, if you had to go through the HA tree to play as a MAX, you might find the HA class more familiar and appealing in the end.
Old 2011-10-31, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #135
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
Actually... I want to believe SA would fit the light-weapon bill nicely. It's not overly large, it's just a rifle that lobs grenades/rocklets. Everyone could still have access to a sidearm as a primary means of direct fire, however effective that is compared to a real rifle.

But we're getting ahead of our selves. I don't recall any mention of what we'll get in the way of SA. It's probably a sure bet we'll get at least a grenade launcher though.

Basically, while I do want assault rifles and shotguns to be the majority of the small-arms we find in the field, I just don't feel every weapon that ISN'T a rifle or shotgun should be wielded only by guys in power armor.
Well they were originally planning on making a separate SA class so I'm assuming they'll be giving us at least a few different SA options to choose from.

My gut feeling though is that if they give us multi-round grenade launchers of some sort like the Thumper it'll probably be considered a "heavy" weapon, at least for purposes of pairing it up with other weapons in one loadout. Not because it's not a rifle or shotgun, but because of it's weight.

Compared to assault rifles, grenade launchers are heavy. If we look at RL comparisons (and before anyone says it, I know PS2 is not RL), 6-shot launchers like the MGL140 or the Russion RG6 weigh about twice as much as an M4A1 rifle, or about the same as a BAR. And each single 40mm grenade weighs about 1/2 lb, or about the same as a 30-round mag for the M4A1.

It also makes logistical sense - given their class-system approach and general One-Man-Army phobia - that a specialized weapon like a grenade launcher that gives you abilities above and beyond a simple rifle/shotgun would not be equippable in the same loadout as another specialized weapon like HA or AV.

That's not to say that their won't be a "light assault" class or armour type that'll only have one rifle slot but would still let you use said launcher...

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-10-31 at 07:31 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion