A concern for over patching - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How I cert agile?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-20, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

A concern for over patching

First of all hello to everyone, its great to see so many PS die hards. I played the first PS from early beta and into its second year. It was the best beta i have ever been involved in, the devs were amazing and things went very smooth.

Anyway my concern is over patching. In my opinion it happend in PS1 and many other good games. And i am sure its all done with good intentions but it seems like the forums can influence developers to make some bad decisions after release. I think most players that love the game play the game and very rarely log on to the forums after release. So maybe the feed back on the forums after release can be a bit skewed from the real state of the game. In other words the developers are not getting all of the positive feed back.

Lastly PS2 will not be for everyone. No game is. I just hope the development team and SOE can just let a great game be a great game like early PS1 was. Anyways i cant wait, i have not been this excited over a game in YEARS man.

Cheers, Paps
Old 2011-09-20, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: A concern for over patching

>Planetside 1
>Overpatched

Surely you're not serious? I think there have been maybe five "patches" in the five years I've played.

Anyhow, they will have access to all sorts of game data such as shots fired, etc this time around.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Welcome to not giving the positive feedback then .

By over patching you mean rebalancing? For most part I think the feedback from forums have been helpful in PS. There has been downfalls yes, like the Lasher. Though I think the biggest issue was devs over reacting to the balance patches and just making the weapon useless. Like the plasma thumper, dragon, and a few others.
Old 2011-09-20, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Graywolves
General

Yeah I hope that they are more careful about their decisions and that they have a dedicated test server where they can actually see how it happens before putting it into the entire public.

Generally, if people feel that something will be fixed in an upcoming patch, they have reason to stay until then. If the patch happens and it makes things worse or doesn't fix the issue then doubt grows in the future of the game.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-20, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

It's annoying to see a patch everytime you log in, but its better they fix the issues than let them persist.

If they don't patch you get what happened ot Warhammer Online which died in a matter of weeks due to crippling bugs and balance issues that ruined the end-game PvP.

I'd much rather have over-patching than not enough, so erring on the side of more patches is a good thing.

As long as its a "patch" and not a re-download of half the game, but even if it was a huge download SoE is paying some serious bandwidth costs getting that out to everyone every day so they have incentive to keep that to a minimum too.
Old 2011-09-20, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FIREk
Captain

I'm pretty sure the OP just meant rebalancing patches and nothing more. I think the issue was described pretty nicely in the "5 things PS2 needs to do right" article.

As long as SOE waits a few weeks for the initial whine to cool down, instead of using the Nerfhammer every time someone's e-peen gets oversensitive, we should be fine.
Old 2011-09-20, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
I'm pretty sure the OP just meant rebalancing patches and nothing more. I think the issue was described pretty nicely in the "5 things PS2 needs to do right" article.

As long as SOE waits a few weeks for the initial whine to cool down, instead of using the Nerfhammer every time someone's e-peen gets oversensitive, we should be fine.
Thats pretty much it, maybe i worded my post wrong. Just dident see the need to fuel the fire with fireing back negativity. I just wana play PS2 man!
Old 2011-09-20, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
I just wana play PS2 man!
I hear that!
Old 2011-09-20, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

DEATH TO ALL PATCHES! WE NEVAH WANT THE GAME TO CHANGE, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM BALANCING THE GAME AND INTRODUCING NEW CONTENT!

Edit to be clear: /sarcasm
Old 2011-09-20, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by TacosWLove View Post
DEATH TO ALL PATCHES! WE NEVAH WANT THE GAME TO CHANGE, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM BALANCING THE GAME AND INTRODUCING NEW CONTENT!

Edit to be clear: /sarcasm
Patching is blasphemy for the unfaithful infidels.
Old 2011-09-20, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
FIREk
Captain

We all know that PS2 will be made perfect, right? Right?
Old 2011-09-20, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SgtMAD
Captain

at the beginning we had quite a few patches
Old 2011-09-20, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Raymac
Brigadier General

Patches? We don't need no sticking patches. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 2011-09-20, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Crator
Major General

I'd hope they have a clearly laid out plan for these thing this go round. PS1 was like nothing anyone had ever done before. They've learned plenty of lessen over the years of changing PS1 and I'm pretty confident they will do it better this time round.
Old 2011-09-20, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Patches are simply alterations, fixes, or additions to the game. How the company decides to use those is what matters, SOE has "said" they want to give a 3 year plan, that's basically so they can discuss this with us, and patch based on feedback.

If a company actually keeps it's word, it should be very awesome
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion