AI in 5 Year Plan - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like women, most of you will never understand the Vanu.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-23, 07:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #151
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Re: AI in 5 Year Plan

i see where you are coming from, i dont see a role in the current game for AI either.
but then again, an mmo that has stood strong for 5 years will need to do something to keep the player base high and happy.

the simple "go there, capture X, shoot dudes" with nothing added will get stale ( for 99% of the people ).
so adding nothing is setting yourself up for failure, but trying to add something might do some good if done right.
if i were to die i'd rather go fighting then just sitting on my ass

but i geuss in lots of cases its a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-23 at 08:01 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-23, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #152
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Or instead of AI they can add new continents, new capture mechanics, new vehicles, new weapons, maybe new classes, new options to existing classes, additional customization to existing vehicles.

The core gameplay we love and will play planetside 2 for will be there on day 0.

AI makes zero sense. Time wasted on that crap is time not spent improving the gameplay we actually want in Planetside 2.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #153
KrazeyVIII
Corporal

The only AI I would want implemented would be wildlife.

Why?

Deer in the forest sees your platoon creeping through the woods at night to flank a base. Deer shits itself and starts running for an open field, effectively giving away your position. If your platoon doesn't have someone with a silenced weapon (if implemented) then they are forced to hope the enemy doesn't realize the deer running scared out of its mind from the woods, or engage immediately to maintain some element of surprise.

I don't see the point of adding combat AI at all. It has no place in an MMOFPS imo and it never will.

Last edited by KrazeyVIII; 2012-03-23 at 08:53 PM.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #154
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Or instead of AI they can add new continents, new capture mechanics, new vehicles, new weapons, maybe new classes, new options to existing classes, additional customization to existing vehicles.

The core gameplay we love and will play planetside 2 for will be there on day 0.

AI makes zero sense. Time wasted on that crap is time not spent improving the gameplay we actually want in Planetside 2.
well yeah i get that, and i want them to add all that stuff, but there is a line somewhere right?

50 continents? 250 weapons? 100 vehicles?
at some point they will need to stop overinflating the game ( like WoW is doing right now with the pandas cause they cant think of anything else ) and rather spend some time experimenting and thinking about new things to do and try.
and yes, if what they decide to do is blindy follow some shitty idea then it will hurt the game. but if they do it right then we could still be playing ps2 10 years from now.
and hell we dont even know what they meant by "AI faction" maybe they have something completely different in mind. maybe it has its use in some other mechanics that might get added that we know nothing about.

those who dont innovate die, simple as that.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #155
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

AI faction = immediate game quit for me.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-23, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
well yeah i get that, and i want them to add all that stuff, but there is a line somewhere right?

50 continents? 250 weapons? 100 vehicles?
at some point they will need to stop overinflating the game ( like WoW is doing right now with the pandas cause they cant think of anything else ) and rather spend some time experimenting and thinking about new things to do and try.
and yes, if what they decide to do is blindy follow some shitty idea then it will hurt the game. but if they do it right then we could still be playing ps2 10 years from now.
and hell we dont even know what they meant by "AI faction" maybe they have something completely different in mind. maybe it has its use in some other mechanics that might get added that we know nothing about.

those who dont innovate die, simple as that.
So adding a distraction that pulls people away from fighting each other to kill some NPCs is an improvement to the gameplay model?

I have a hard time believing that.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Any AI that isn't Spitfires is a disappointment.

Any AI that is shootable running about alien NPCs is total carp.
Old 2012-03-24, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #158
Zekeen
Major

Think of this:

What if the AI were in a limited space that just added extra danger. Nothing that lands on your base and caps it, but starts adding chaos into a battle.

For instance - Imagine if we got something like core combat, but the caves contained guerrilla style fighting insect-humanoids with slightly primitive weapons. You would be in the middle of combat, but somehow an AI squad of these insectoids traveled to far from their hive exit or whatever and engage your team. Now you and your enemy must be wary of this threat.

Point is - if they do add AI, even if the AI uses guns, it'd just be like wildlife with guns to give danger to certain areas that you may be using to flank an enemy. Imagine having to convoy through infested tunnels to emerge behind enemy lines. The risk, the reward, the action!

It can be done well, AI can be done in a million ways.
Old 2012-03-24, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #159
Bags
Lieutenant General

The only AI I would be willing for them to add are in VERY RARE EVENTS. Other than that, nooooooo.

They keep saying the players are the content, keep it that way.
Old 2012-03-24, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #160
Atheosim
Captain

I DEMAND GIANT ENEMY CRAB!!!!!!
Old 2012-03-24, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #161
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
The only AI I would be willing for them to add are in VERY RARE EVENTS. Other than that, nooooooo.

They keep saying the players are the content, keep it that way.
Yeah, the risk of AI outside of tools and such is that it could draw away the players. If you restrict AI to a certain continent, then that's less PvP going on.

I guess only tools and mild weak base defenses (of certain bases), would be the only way it could work. Just minor expanding upon the turrets.

Though really, I have had EVERY complaint dashed into the rocks by the features these guys are planning. Only minor things that are no doubt already being changed exist. I say let's wait till we hear how Higby and the team have it planned. It could be way simpler or more complex than we know. Be interesting to see their ideas in any case.
Old 2012-03-24, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #162
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
So adding a distraction that pulls people away from fighting each other to kill some NPCs is an improvement to the gameplay model?

I have a hard time believing that.
you are being excessively negative for no reason.
noone said the "new thing" would be distraction, you said yourself that you want them to keep adding mechanics, well AI is a mechanic that might tie in with other mechanics that we are not aware of.

for all we know in 5 years time we will have a main capitol filled with AI civilians that we need to protect from each other as some sort of endgame.
who knows? i sure dont and neither do you.
and i'm pretty sure the devs dont really know yet either since

5 years is a looooong time
i'm still not even sure the game wil live that long, ps1 died way faster then 5 years, so i would rather see them try to get to 5 years and then do what is neccesary for the life of the game.
Old 2012-03-24, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #163
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by megamold View Post
5 years is a looooong time
i'm still not even sure the game wil live that long, ps1 died way faster then 5 years, so i would rather see them try to get to 5 years and then do what is neccesary for the life of the game.
I wouldn't say died. It's alive even now, small, but alive. In comparison to APB where the servers were taken down full stop.

PS still creates enough revenue to be worth keeping up, that can't be dead

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-24, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
megamold
Second Lieutenant

well it isnt "dead" thats true, but since an mmofps requires a steady stream of players you could argue that its been on its deathbed for years, since the population of the servers since around 2005 till today has been to low to get the gameplay the game was designed for.

a game of ps1 today is more like a game of bf3 ( in player count).
to keep the game fully functional and fun like it was designed it needs more players and a constant stream of players.

actually i am amazed the game is still up after all these years. i'm geussing the main reason for that is that we only have 1 server left wich is not so expensive in terms of upkeep.
Old 2012-03-24, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #165
PrISM
Staff Sergeant

Hey how about this...how about AI BFRs?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion