News: Totalbiscuit Night Ops Footage! - Page 20 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Fun for the whole family
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-20, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #286
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Re: Totalbiscuit Night Ops Footage!

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
in the future one slash with the knife is completely lethal, while it takes mutliple shots to bring someone down

Logic~
Good that you noticed that it's logical, seeing as atm a knifewound is more dangerous than a gunshotwound.

Not to mention the fact that current bodyarmor does in no way protect against stabbing weapons unless equipped with armor plates or special materials that don't protect against bullets.

I don't get this whole butthurt over the BF3 knife of all things, atleast use the CoD knife, cause that's some straight up bullshit right there.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #287
Zulthus
Colonel

Because quick knife is retarded. I found it amazing that you actually got to take out your knife in PS1 and could have some pretty awesome knife battles when everyone was out of ammo.

If quick knife is implemented, it should only do a third of the damage done by a regular knife stab, due to it being quick and inaccurate.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #288
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Because quick knife is retarded. I found it amazing that you actually got to take out your knife in PS1 and could have some pretty awesome knife battles when everyone was out of ammo.

If quick knife is implemented, it should only do a third of the damage done by a regular knife stab, due to it being quick and inaccurate.
So you don't like the CoD quickknife, that's fair, cause it's bullshit.

But last time I checked they weren't going for the CoD approach.

I'd wager a guess and say they go the route of BF3.

The only thing you could discuss as being wrong with BF3s knife is maybe the quickknife-button, which does not instantly kill you, if you are playing normal and not hardcore.
The only "instantkill" knife in BF3 was if you took your knife in hand, snuck up behind someone and then got the raised knife "killprompt", and that wasn't instant either, because it locked you into an animation that you couldn't abort till you killed the enemy, which meant that with luck and speed another enemy could shot you in the face and save his friend.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #289
duomaxwl
Captain

So beautiful.
I really can't wait to see some traditional cloaking though.
But man, all the tracers going off in that night sky. It's just fantastic.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #290
Mechzz
Major

More potential for back-hacking?

Just watched the base defend sequence that happens around 12-13 mins in the vid.

At the point where the VS capture bar fills, there are 2 NC-owned capture points. They both flip to purple when the bar fills and TB gets a 500pt "Base defended" bonus because he's Vanu at that point.

So far so good.

But then, within seconds the capture bars are filling again from zero as one control point gets flipped back to blue.

With the open base design, I think there is too much potential for nuisance back-hacks if flipping just one control point sets the capture bar back to zero.

At the "base Defended" point, should the capture bar not start counting back slowly down to zero rather than flipping straight to zero necessitating a five minute recapture sequence just because one capture point got flipped?

Methinks the infil community will love the setup we saw, but frustrate the heck out of the rest of us.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-05-20, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #291
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
More potential for back-hacking?

Just watched the base defend sequence that happens around 12-13 mins in the vid.

At the point where the VS capture bar fills, there are 2 NC-owned capture points. They both flip to purple when the bar fills and TB gets a 500pt "Base defended" bonus because he's Vanu at that point.

So far so good.

But then, within seconds the capture bars are filling again from zero as one control point gets flipped back to blue.

With the open base design, I think there is too much potential for nuisance back-hacks if flipping just one control point sets the capture bar back to zero.

At the "base Defended" point, should the capture bar not start counting back slowly down to zero rather than flipping straight to zero necessitating a five minute recapture sequence just because one capture point got flipped?

Methinks the infil community will love the setup we saw, but frustrate the heck out of the rest of us.

Thoughts?
Meh, seeing as it's probably still highly WiP, because alpha, I'll wait till beta until I take a shot analysing that.

P.S.: Wait a second, nowhere does it ever say anything about actually capturing the base, the only thing TB gets is a "base defended", so we kinda still don't know crap about the actual proper procedure for a basecap.

I mean from what Higby and the others said it's kinda like conquest in BF were you have to hold more points then the enemy and get a specific amount of points.
I for one did not see any kind of counter going anywhere, but I could've missed it and can't check atm.

So yeah, I'll hold judgement till I have a proper grasp on what the fuck we exactly have to do to cap a base, start to finish.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #292
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Chainmail is knife resistant, and its been around a while. In 2642 they have synthetic nano-mesh that renders conventional blades useless, thus the advent of the Mark IV Laser Rapier.
(remember System Shock 2? cool wep)
Old 2012-05-20, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #293
Pyreal
First Sergeant

The one with the most points at the end of the time limit wins?

Sounds like a round of a BF3...

What the hell have you done, Higby?!
Old 2012-05-20, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #294
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
The one with the most points at the end of the time limit wins?

Sounds like a round of a BF3...

What the hell have you done, Higby?!
Jesus christ, stop acting like every single thing that ever came out of BF is some kind of affront against nature, it's getting rediculous.

This whole train of thought that any kind of feature previously seen in BF in any way, shape or form is bad is beyond inane.

Please be more objective.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #295
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
Jesus christ, stop acting like every single thing that ever came out of BF is some kind of affront against nature, it's getting rediculous.

This whole train of thought that any kind of feature previously seen in BF in any way, shape or form is bad is beyond inane.

Please be more objective.
Well, not every thing to come out of BF3 is bad, but there's a reason I play Planetside and BF3, not just BF3. Because they're different games. PS2 is taking a bit too many aspects from BF3 for comfort though TBH.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #296
Stardouser
Colonel

Actually, it IS looking a bit like BF conquest, with those A-F capture indicators, only different being, there's no limit(well, you know) on how many people can pour into the same battle.

That particular similarity isn't a bad thing. Curious, how close do you have to get to a base area before the capture point indicators are shown to you? Are those hex-wide?
Old 2012-05-20, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #297
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Well, not every thing to come out of BF3 is bad, but there's a reason I play Planetside and BF3, not just BF3. Because they're different games. PS2 is taking a bit too many aspects from BF3 for comfort though TBH.
I, nor anyone of us for that matter, can objectivly say at this point, without a proper hands-on, that taking more hints from BF is a good thing or not.

What I find highly unproductive though, is the current trend that whenever any feature gets revealed, or an idea posted, that has some BF influence, that it gets instantly dismissed as bad with a reasoning of "because Battlefield".

We all know, or should know, that PS2 will NOT be a success if it's just a carboncopy of PS1 just with added fapworthy graphics, the same way we know that just blindly copying BF is NOT a surefire way to success.

I just hope that people would stop denying features on a pure "because Battlefield"-stand point.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Actually, it IS looking a bit like BF conquest, with those A-F capture indicators, only different being, there's no limit(well, you know) on how many people can pour into the same battle.

That particular similarity isn't a bad thing. Curious, how close do you have to get to a base area before the capture point indicators are shown to you? Are those hex-wide?
Probably.

But don't forget the main difference between this in PS2 and this in BF.

You HAVE to manually hack the capturepoint, just standing next to it doesn't do jack no matter how many people there as, which makes, to me atleast, a pretty big difference.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-05-20 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #298
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

We all know, or should know, that PS2 will NOT be a success if it's just a carboncopy of PS1 just with added fapworthy graphics, the same way we know that just blindly copying BF is NOT a surefire way to success.

Why not?

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #299
Stardouser
Colonel

Probably.

But don't forget the main difference between this in PS2 and this in BF.

You HAVE to manually hack the capturepoint, just standing next to it doesn't do jack no matter how many people there as, which makes, to me atleast, a pretty big difference.
Did I miss something? Aren't the capture points physical proximity? I didn't see any hacking in the video?

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Don't know but I looked at that vid again and the mosquito could see them from altitude and were even seen through it's dashboard.
Actually, go to 20:15 in the video and wait about 10 seconds as he flies - they poof! Whether that's because he flies out of the base's range or because it faded for some other reason can't be confirmed but there we are.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #300
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Looked like a first to fill the bar 100% wins, more capped points = faster bar filling (plus whatever %bonus cap rate that facility has).
Only downside of winning a defence seemed to be that within 10 seconds you are back to square 1 again with some git flipping all the switches again. I'm not sure a lock-out is sensible but the defenders should get some form of respite, watching the tiny XP bonus repeat during successive defences would be kinda nice (500XP doesn't really seme like much reward for holding a resource production center when one troop nets you 100XP).

3:20 to see TB capping a point using a 10? second timer.
I'm guessing the expolosions were reaver rocketspam if the minimap is anything to go by.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-20 at 05:25 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion