Stomp on harrassment from the start - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We love to see you smile.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Stomp on harrassment from the start

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
I've been called everything from cheater & exploiter to "snarfing clambake whose mother is a cum-soaked AIDS whore".
Say what you want about my mother, but I wouldn't stand for being called a snarfing clambake.

My word.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Dagron
Captain

Zero accountability? How do you come up with this nonsense?
Fine, i was being a little dramatic.
But i was talking about verbal abuse, a system to auto shut jerks up. I know systems to punish ppl who TK exist.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-04 at 02:57 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
Fine, i was being a little dramatic.
But i was talking about verbal abuse, a system to auto shut jerks up. I know systems to punish ppl who TK exist.
I was playing some TF2 the other week and some guy kept harassing this kid who had one of those whiny high pitched voices. At first I think most people just ignored it, but then as they kept going back and forth, everyone muted the guy harassing the kid and told the kid to do the same.

The kid kept responding to the guy, obviously not muting him. I think most people ended up muting the kid as well at that point.

I didn't mute anyone because I found the entire thing hilarious, but the point is that there was a system in place where the kid could stop the abuse, and he kept taking it and whining about it. If he wants to keep listening, fuck em, throw your worst. I'm not saying an admin of the server shouldn't have banned the guy for being a dick, but I don't have any sympathy for the kid.

PS2 just needs systems in place to allow players to deal with abuse however they want to. Block it, report it, ignore it, or shit talk back. None of those responses are right or wrong, but bitching about it when you are provided tools to deal with it is retarded. It's the internet, so there is no avoiding it. SOE only needs to provide tools to let players deal with it on their own terms.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
LightningDriver
Corporal

There was plenty of trash talk in PS1, but serious harassment was rare and would usually result in harassers becoming the laughingstock of the community. I've been called everything from cheater & exploiter to "snarfing clambake whose mother is a cum-soaked AIDS whore". Once you start taking junk like that seriously you've lost the internet. You can no longer function there because these goons are everywhere. The solution is not to beg for more repressive community management, because that results in a closed-minded atmosphere where people get offended at the slightest remarks and then threaten you with their own indignation. The solution is to stop taking the internet seriously (something you should have never done to begin with).
You are confusing the issue, and I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not. If someone is having a bad gaming session, and calls another player a piece of poo, who really cares, they are showcasing thier bad character by giving in to frustration.

Once you get personal, I'm not talking about race/gender/religion, I mean a player has told you something about him/herself, and you throw it back in thier face, then there is a big problem. I'll give you an example. In an MMO I was playing, one guild member let it slip that he was suffering in dealing with his depression, something he said in a vunerable moment where he wasn't thinking clearly. If someone were to turn around and mock him for that, on a personal level, that is extremely bad.

As I said in a post earlier, there have been a very small number of players who have made fun of my hearing impairment. In a game like this, I have no choice to tell people since I cannot join voice chat. Just like, people cannot hide thier gender or accent. To say they are "just words on the internet" or "political correctness is taking over" is way off the mark.
Old 2012-06-04, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

7 pages, wow.
I'll say this: trash talking - I have no problem with it. It is a mature game about simulated killing, not Sims 3. If I get called some shit, I'll sling some back maybe if the tone is only semi serious.

I'm not into political correctness and telling you what's what. The article was about repeated, deliberate offence of gamers. I have seen bulllying and its effect. I've seen quite strong people change into shells of their former selves until they only know paranoia and don't want to know anyone.

Anyway, having had time to think about it, if PS1 mechanics were to make a comeback, the repeat insults will not be possible in PS2. Round based, VOIP with enemies in MW yes, PS2 no.
It just needs to be plain as day for new folks to block out unwanted bullshit and hey presto we get the people seeking a place away from instances like in the article.

Auto-mute on fools after maybe 32 unique characters perform a mute on them could be a nice touch (that's more than 3 full squads, so would take more than a little coordination to cheat a system).
It says "here's our community, you're welcome, just don't fuck around."

It's invoked some debate though and I thank you.

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-04, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

These red & white TR logos need to die a horrible death.

Black and Red. Get it right.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Toppopia
Major

Some responsibility is in the hands of the developers to police this stuff, and as players we have to do something, we can't sit there and say "we are being insulted.. i hate this game.." we are to be proactive and press the big shiny mute button.

You know on xbox live how you can give people ratings. I have about 52% positive/no reviews and 48% negative reviews, and they are like 50% for language, even though i never swear or trash talk, so those people are idiotic noobs that don't like that i was beating them.
Some people aye?
Old 2012-06-04, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Right, and then? What if someone extraordinarily gay dude shows up in a game and everyone mutes HIM because of his voice? Then he gets offended by the game mechanics to boot. What about some kid in his early puberty, whose voice keeps skipping?

The solutions:
1) Don't play Halo, because Halo is mainly played by spoiled 14-year-olds that don't get beaten enough by their parents
2) Don't use open VOIP systems that everyone can join
3) Don't join clans full of frustrated haters
4) Ignore those who frustrate you

Quite simple.
Sorry I meant auto ignore not auto mute. When a threshold is reached, the harasser cannot send tells for a period.

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
These red & white TR logos need to die a horrible death.

Black and Red. Get it right.
After sleep. Thanks comrade

Old 2012-06-04, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Elude
First Sergeant

Most of the sexual harassment I've seen in online games is one dude talking about raping another dudes face and how much he likes the cock. I often hear guys moaning back and forth to each other or making dick slurping sounds followed shortly by several insulting swear words.

I've seen this nonsense in just about every game I've played and PS2 will be no different.

You're going to be sexually harassed in online games the longer you play them, your gender or sexual taste is irrelevant.

Last edited by Elude; 2012-06-04 at 04:27 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
These red & white TR soldiers need to die a horrible death.
Fixed
Old 2012-06-04, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
CutterJohn
Colonel

The wonderful thing about games is they have mute/ignore options. If something offends you to the point you can't tolerate it, you can just remove their opinions from your life entirely.
Old 2012-06-04, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

best gun i had in my old clan was a girl, and i would be happy to bet my pay check that she could own 90% of the people that use this forum. nothing wrong with ladies playing video games, in fact my buddy met his wife in a game.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
best gun i had in my old clan was a girl, and i would be happy to bet my pay check that she could own 90% of the people that use this forum. nothing wrong with ladies playing video games, in fact my buddy met his wife in a game.
There are some awesome girls who played Planetside. We could use as many of them as will play. Still, the internet is the internet. Obviously the community and the developers have their part to play to help foster as good an environment as possible (especially considering they are going for a T rating), but women, along with men, will always have to deal with the shitstorm that can be and often is the internet.

Also, let's not forget that women can be assholes too

Equality and all of that.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Those who don't understand anything at all and don't bother taking information from the other side (BBC, in this case) will stay ignorant.

People who see what they churn out, laugh at it and move on because they clearly did no alternate research and made a hugely biased article, whether they knew it or not. (Those people are us).
Old 2012-06-04, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

For adults /ignore feature- done and done. Secondly if you have a child under 14 and they are being harassed in a game its your fault not the guy with potty mouth. Im pretty sick of parents that want government or society to raise their offspring.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion