Should the mosquito be renamed? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: contents under pressure
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should the mosquito be renamed?
yes 12 15.19%
no 67 84.81%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Malachi
Private

Re: Should the mosquito be renamed?

Mosquito With Frickin' Laser Beams?
Old 2012-06-04, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Mackenz
Private

The British Mosquito in WWII, although not a 'pure' single engine fighter (it was twin Merlins), was one the fastest, most versatile planes of the war (including a fighter, night fighter, recon, fighter bomber, fast bomber, low level bomber).

It was so feared and respected by the Germans that Goering wanted his own - which they called the Moskito - guess to what that translates.

It is a great name!
Old 2012-06-04, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Robotix View Post
The mosquito has killed enough people through the centuries to be considered by many to be the most dangerous creature on earth.

I'd say the name is fine.

In PS1, the mosquito has also killed enough enemies through the years to be considered by many to be the most dangerous vehicle on Auraxis when you factor in its versatility.

I'd also say the name is fine.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-04, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I like the sentiment but it doesn't seem much like the TR to name something a "Mosquito", unless you consider it the small but potent carrier of plague, suffering, and mass death. I dont' think the Terran Republic wants to associate itself with disease. Doesn't go well for morale.

Were the Mosquito to be renamed, I believe the word "Patriot" or "Sentinel" fits best, going on the theme of loyalty, duty, and dedication to the Republic.

On that note, "Marauder" and "Prowler" and "Raider" don't seem like names fitting for Terran vehicles. They seem more like names the NC guerillas would use. I suppose they're grandfathered in, but they don't seem at all fitting to the TR theme. Those names are for separatists, not the ruling authority. The word "prowler" is associated with sneaking, burglary, and criminals - not something the high and mighty Terran Army would name their vehicles.

Patriot, Unifier, Loyalist, Sentinel, Guardian, Protector - these are all names fitting of the Terran Republic. Especially their propaganda. They're going to spin their military vehicles into being symbols of power, security, duty, and loyalty. They would name them appropriately.

I do like Sentinel and Patriot for Terran vehicles much more than Mosquito and Prowler.

Those are Terran Republic names.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
JHendy
First Sergeant

Personally, I like the way the name understates its lethality.

"Mosquito" Sounds funny does it? Well just you wait.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Ale
Corporal

I support renaming the TR ESF.

...but only so that the Mossie can be brought back as a common pool scout aircraft that looks identical to the PS1 version, and has one armament choice, a 12mm. All other mods and sidegrade options would be to do with speed, agility, sensors and countermeasures.

Signed,
A vanu that doesn't want to fly a spaceship.
Old 2012-06-04, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mackenz View Post
The British Mosquito in WWII, although not a 'pure' single engine fighter (it was twin Merlins), was one the fastest, most versatile planes of the war (including a fighter, night fighter, recon, fighter bomber, fast bomber, low level bomber).

It was so feared and respected by the Germans that Goering wanted his own - which they called the Moskito - guess to what that translates.

It is a great name!
"It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminum better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked." - Hermann Goering on the Mosquito.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
LtCarman
Private

The name's fine. The sentimental value of it is also a plus and like many others have mentioned, it actually looks like an insect now...or more specifically, an engorged mosquito.

Yum.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I like it, it makes it seem puny and weak compared to the Reaver, which is appropriate!
Old 2012-06-04, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I'll just call it a skeeter instead. Sounds much more threatening.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion