Stomp on harrassment from the start - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: we're always here, unless we're gone
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
laelgon
Corporal

Re: Stomp on harrassment from the start

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
For adults /ignore feature- done and done. Secondly if you have a child under 14 and they are being harassed in a game its your fault not the guy with potty mouth. Im pretty sick of parents that want government or society to raise their offspring.
Ah, I never realized parents are responsible for the poor behavior of others as long as their child is under a certain age.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Ailos
Contributor
Major

I have heard people yelling "I'll rape you" to both women and men over microphones in games. How is sodomizing a guy any less harassing than raping a woman?

Women do need to get over the fact that the internet is... well the internet. If they can't deal with the idea that people are not only allowed to have diarrhea of the mouth, but will exercise that right, then they need to become experts at using the /ignore command. Either that, or move to live behind the Great Firewall of China (which, BTW, censors Skype conversations).

That doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to this, either. SOE has a big part in policing this game against those not wishing to follow rules and proper etiquette, and this includes things like hackers, extreme trolls, and those annoying 12 year olds that just can't shut up. And although to us, adults, a ban from a F2P game may not seem like a big deal, 12 year olds have such runny mouths because of all the emotions they probably have within - and to a 12 year old, a ban from a game can still kind of knock them back to reality.

And more importantly, though SOE has the last say here, we as a community are the real enforcers of the etiquette. If us, veterans watch what we say in local and broadcast chat, keep our own emotions and swearing to private channels (such as outfit comms), we help create and enforce a grown-up image of the game. It's very easy to figure out who was the annoying one when there was only one person being accused... it's quite difficult if 5 or 6 of the veterans are guilty as well.

So I imagine most of us regulars here are/will be holding leadership positions in some shape or form. Let's lead by example, not just our own outfits, but also our server's empires. This includes discouraging 12 year olds from mic-spamming local voice channels, and discouraging unnecessary insults.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-06-04 at 06:26 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I have heard people yelling "I'll rape you" to both women and men over microphones in games. How is sodomizing a guy any less harassing than raping a woman?
The difference is that raping men is funny.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Wow, you know people are excited about planetside when a thread like this is popular.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by laelgon View Post
Ah, I never realized parents are responsible for the poor behavior of others as long as their child is under a certain age.
What parents are responsible for is knowing what a CHILD is doing and being exposed to. Or should be responsible for. Lazy parents harm children more often society. Sounds like it would suck to be your kid.
Old 2012-06-04, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
And I thought two things:
1. Wow I did not know some females took that much abuse in-game,
Females? Other than the 1 exceedingly TAME addition of the "girls can't play videogames" insult they don't have to deal with anything the rest of us don't have to deal with. Which is more than compensated for by the fact that guys will be friendly to them because they are girls.

If you want to be on the internet and play competetive games, deal with what comes with it.

2. They should really give PS2 a go when it comes around. They'll see plenty of friendly faces.
I just want to burn puppies infront of you.
Old 2012-06-04, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Aractain
Major

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I just want to burn puppies infront of you.
You play NC don't you?
Old 2012-06-04, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Salryc
Private

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
Females? Other than the 1 exceedingly TAME addition of the "girls can't play videogames" insult they don't have to deal with anything the rest of us don't have to deal with. Which is more than compensated for by the fact that guys will be friendly to them because they are girls.

If you want to be on the internet and play competetive games, deal with what comes with it.
Just have to pipe in here that I complete agree with this... and I'm a female gamer. Except for the guys being friendly just because I am female bit - that is annoying as hell.

Every insult I've ever gotten, I've heard a similar variant expressed to the guys. Want to toss out rape jokes? Yeah, just tells me that the person spewing it isn't worth listening to, and needs to be ignored. Threaten to kill me, and/or my family... you're just butt hurt because I got a good kill. Sound familiar? It's the same that everyone gets. I don't think it's a sexist thing, and I've been doing this long enough to hear it all.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-04, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

After sleep. Thanks comrade
If you want the TR logo to show up on a black background, put a dark grey border around the outside. It'll provide just enough offset to be clearly visible without distorting the logo itself. I did this for my phone app and it works great.
Old 2012-06-04, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Brusi
Contributor
Major

The only time i would have a problem with girls/women playing games with me, is if they start telling me that i play too much or that i should be doing something more constructive.

I'm more than happy to game with the opposite sex, it's a welcome reprieve from all the non-gamer women i know!

I totally understand how much it would suck if someone told me in game that i should go get in the kitchen and make dinner. fuck, i get enough "Have you fucking taken the garbage out yet" over my shoulder from my partner!

We game to get away from this sort of shit!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-04, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
Troscus
Corporal

One time jerk-off threatens to rape you? /ignore. Same jerk-off sends tells and other means of communicating saying he's gonna rape you? Report him and let God (SOE) sort 'em out.

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
What parents are responsible for is knowing what a CHILD is doing and being exposed to. Or should be responsible for. Lazy parents harm children more often society. Sounds like it would suck to be your kid.
Any parent that lets a child play a game like this KNOWS (or at least should know) what their child is getting in to. Lazy, inattentive parents are neck and neck with overprotective psycho Nazi parents for "worst people to be related to."

Let a tween play PS2, just tell him how shit should be handled if it happens. /ignore. No need to ban an entire age group that can be 100% able to cope with the rough and tumble environment of competitive FPS.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
I just want a hug.
And......close the thread

Old 2012-06-05, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

TBH, when they say they take it seriously, most companies in my experience aren't kidding about that. One of the best people about this kind of thing is CCP, I know this from experience. They do not fuck around and from what little I know of SOE's CS people, I have no doubt that SOE takes it just as seriously.

Part of it is a social problem, however, that is inherent in shooter communities because players actively encourage it through not caring or thumbing their noses to the problem.

Crack down on the social problem, and it does just as well as any CS ticket can.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-06-05, 02:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

This is sort of OT I guess, but I have noticed how young poeple today seem to have this false sense of security in the real world because of how they handle confrontation online. They can say whatever they want without fear of serious consequence. And it shows... ignorance and no humility what so ever. In this regard I say it's very much up to parents to teach their children how to properly act among other people, both online and in the real world... because I know I'd be scared shitless if I knew my child were acting this way while outside. One day they might upset the wrong person...
Old 2012-06-05, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
This is sort of OT I guess, but I have noticed how young poeple today seem to have this false sense of security in the real world because of how they handle confrontation online. They can say whatever they want without fear of serious consequence. And it shows... ignorance and no humility what so ever. In this regard I say it's very much up to parents to teach their children how to properly act among other people, both online and in the real world... because I know I'd be scared shitless if I knew my child were acting this way while outside. One day they might upset the wrong person...
That isn't just a problem with how kids act online. Its something a lot of people refer to as the invulnerability complex. The sense of being immune from adverse things happening is not just something that happens online, its certainly showcased online because of anonymity, but it isn't just something relegated to kids who have a console or a pc or whatever. I know many perfectly reasonable college educated people who think that if they travel somewhere, they're absolutely assured to return safely, that nothing bad would ever happen.

Its scary to see when you have even a clue as to the reality of how huge the fallacy is. The thing is, it isn't exclusive to any one age group or group of people.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion