The people playing the game are making the game look bad - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Press refresh again and get a special prize.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Dreamcast
Major

Re: The people playing the game are making the game look bad

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Of all the things one could complain about.
This is a good thing to complain about....People interested in the game don't wanna see somebody crashing killing themselves, or walking away from the battle or just staring.

Two of my friends lost interest on the stream because of that and I don't blame them at all.

People would like to see somebody who knows how to play, playing the game....Their was a few times the camera actually went to somebody who knew how to play
Old 2012-06-05, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
This is a good thing to complain about....People interested in the game don't wanna see somebody crashing killing themselves, or walking away from the battle or just staring.

Two of my friends lost interest on the stream because of that and I don't blame them at all.

People would like to see somebody who knows how to play, playing the game....Their was a few times the camera actually went to somebody who knew how to play
Me and a few friends were in chat crying with laughter with some of the worst players. I couldn't handle it when that guy in the magrider escaped a fight with about 0.5 hitpoints and then boosted into a wall and exploded.

TB's commentary made it all the better "Cacti are overpowered, we are planning to nerf them" when the guy on the Flash hit one at full pelt.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Assuming I'm not working tomorrow I plan on taking a shot for every Laughing Jolly Roger - Stop Killing Yourself! screen I see in TB's 3PM cast.

There terribadness better not give me alcohol poisoning .
Old 2012-06-05, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This was just a demo folks, not a professional tournament.
Even thats those people were allowed to play like whats ? 5 minute each 10 minute ? lol not enough time to really get use to the controles and game mechanics and even some of them were not great fps players !

I understand thats lol

But you guys should make some (( scrypted team work trailers )) i understand the concern of the OP

some people will look at this adn at first view they will say this game lack actions and team work etc..

But smart people will get its just a E3 demo booth and not a real Pro gaming team !
Old 2012-06-05, 10:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Flying physics are way different, so kudos to everyone who was flying around.... made it really easy for my dual-flak VS MAX to take down galaxies, liberators, mossies, and reavers. Galaxy took basically all my ammo and reloads to destroy, lib took a couple dual-firing clips, and the smaller ones were a lot easier.

I tried Heavy Assault a bit too... I was able to do alright with it. The ability to gun down a MAX with a pulsar is awfully nice (just gotta aim at the head and make every shot count) but every aircraft was loaded with countermeasures so AA with the fission was really not happening (lancer may have been better for AA). I did alright with a Magrider, took out a prowler, but I also got rammed by a prowler that I think destroyed us both.

Infil has awesome potential, but I feel like its going to be extremely limited without the certs unlocked. I felt like I was walking around with a big "shoot me" sign when I was uncloaked in the field (which was most of the time) and the inability to use any rifle aside from the sniper was kinda annoying, because it was 90% vehicle combat and 1/3 the infantry was in MAX suits.

Anyhow, don't fret about the quality of players on the streams. Between people seeing PS for the first time, and job-headed suits that are impressed by anything pretty regardless of their ability, the lack of keymapping familiarity (some things are moved around), and the lack of Light Assault users dropping ammo for other classes, the streams aren't going to contain the best gameplay.

Also, the internet was kinda shaky all day. Not for SOE specifically, but for all of E3.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post

If something like that turns them off from the game, then I don't want them anyway. A game should be judged on the content it has to offer, not how badly someone sucks at playing it. Ask them, would they prefer any footage or no footage at all? I can guarantee every one of you that us 'vets' would be fumbling around like retards our first time too. This is a different game and we're all going to have to relearn things.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I still think the devs playing from the studio should organize some Gal drops and TB should follow their perspective.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2012-06-05, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
duomaxwl
Captain

If something like that turns them off from the game, then I don't want them anyway. A game should be judged on the content it has to offer, not how badly someone sucks at playing it. Ask them, would they prefer any footage or no footage at all?
I agree with Zulthus on this.
If they judge a game on press people who are playing at a conference, than I really could care less if they ever play.

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
I still think the devs playing from the studio should organize some Gal drops and TB should follow their perspective.
They couldn't do that. They weren't streaming from the studio, just from the e3 computers.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
(lancer may have been better for AA)
The Lancer is in!?
Old 2012-06-05, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Kaw
Corporal

If something like that turns them off from the game, then I don't want them anyway. A game should be judged on the content it has to offer, not how badly someone sucks at playing it. Ask them, would they prefer any footage or no footage at all? I can guarantee every one of you that us 'vets' would be fumbling around like retards our first time too. This is a different game and we're all going to have to relearn things.
The problem is somebody with no Planetside background who watched today's footage would assume the game is being published by a suicide prevention hotline. Half the stream was spent on the screen that says "Stop killing yourself". That isn't the sort of thing that gets people excited about the game.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kaw View Post
The problem is somebody with no Planetside background who watched today's footage would assume the game is being published by a suicide prevention hotline. Half the stream was spent on the screen that says "Stop killing yourself". That isn't the sort of thing that gets people excited about the game.
Every time 'Stop Killing Yourself' shows up, Higby and TB have to do a shot of gin.

It can only end up in win.

Bonus Round: Every time someone crashes an aircraft clegg pounds down a beer.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Assuming I'm not working tomorrow I plan on taking a shot for every Laughing Jolly Roger - Stop Killing Yourself! screen I see in TB's 3PM cast.

There terribadness better not give me alcohol poisoning .
That will make a great drinking game

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Me and a few friends were in chat crying with laughter with some of the worst players. I couldn't handle it when that guy in the magrider escaped a fight with about 0.5 hitpoints and then boosted into a wall and exploded.

TB's commentary made it all the better "Cacti are overpowered, we are planning to nerf them" when the guy on the Flash hit one at full pelt.
Yeah it was hilarious seeing the way people died.

Well the thing is...Is natural for people to be turned off by footage like that.,,they want to see how the game plays...not people killing themselves

and the thing is SOE could of prevent it by Following Good SOE players who had experience in the game, showing off the actual mechanics of the game, killing new players.

I understand that new players can't be great but thats why cameras shouldn't follow new players.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-06-05 at 11:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Every time 'Stop Killing Yourself' shows up, Higby and TB have to do a shot of gin.

It can only end up in win.

Bonus Round: Every time someone crashes an aircraft clegg pounds down a beer.
THIS is how get people to watch your stream.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Kaw View Post
I think anyone that's spent 5 minutes on a trade show floor will be forgiving. It really wasn't that bad. Honestly, people would just as soon argue that a synthetic show-and-tell with all devs would be pointless and unappealing.

Actual jerks off the floor played actual PS2, and it looked pretty damn spectacular.
Old 2012-06-05, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Haro
Master Sergeant

Regardless of whether or not the stream was overall good or bad (I believe the former, strongly, for the record) I'm not really sure how they could have done this any differently. The demo's main purpose, believe it or not, was to be played. That's why it's called a demo. A game journalist playing, experiencing, and having fun with the game is a lot more important than what some people feel experiencing the stream. The stream had thousands of people watching it, but journalists writing about the game can put it on the radar for far more, possibly millions.

Also, it's not selling the stream, it's not even really selling the game all that much. Nothing to sell. It's trying to build up awareness. Even if someone viewing it walked away from the stream (totally understandable, it did go on for two hours, and I find you can only have so much fun watching other people play games, more often than not) they still know about planetside. Even if they didn't like the stream, as long as the are at least interested in the concepts behind it, then they will likely come back, since it is free to play. If the quality of the footage was make or break for them, then I honestly don't see how the game itself would appeal that much.

Also, it's not like this is the end-all demonstration, like they show this and that's it until release. Far from it, this was really more like Planetside 2's real debut. In alpha. There's going to be a beta, there will be more footage that provides an even better picture of the game. There are plenty of opportunities to attract players, and most of the feedback I've seen for this stream has been pretty positive, and the people interviewed there seemed very interested. Overall, I'd call that a success.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion