MAX Style Inconsistencies / Feedback - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You say "canadians" hamma says "ban."
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

MAX Style Inconsistencies / Feedback

The MAX weapons seem a bit off in terms of how they map to empire characteristics.

Lets look at the ES MAX weaponry.

AI:
- TR Cycler, 50 round magazine
- NC Scattercannon, 3 round magazine
- VS Quasar, 50 round magazine

AV
- TR Pounder, 3 round magazine
- NC Falcon, 7 round magazine
- VS Comet, ??? (I don't know, I didn't look at the comet to see if there was an issue, I'll edit in once I learn it)

So what's the problem? On the AI front, what seems odd to me is the VS AI gun, because it has the same capacity as the TR Cycler. I would expect the Cycler to be the AI MAX weapon with the most ammo because it has the fastest firing rate. As far as I could tell I could see no difference between the fire rate of the Quasar and the Cycler. It seemed like the ES characterstics for these two weapons were simply missing. I would expect the Quasar to have a slower rate of fire, be a bit more accurate, and have a magazine size in the 30-40 range (matching the lower rate of fire).

On the AV front, NC and TR look bass ackwards. Why does the pounder only have 3 shots while the falcon has 7? This seems neither correct for the NC, nor correct for the TR. I expect the TR to have more rounds and a higher fire rate than the NC, and I expect the NC to have fewer rounds and do more damage per shot than the TR. Sort of like how the Scattercannon is. The Scattercannon looks right to me. It's powerful, it has a nice tight spread, but it isn't fast and can only fire 3 shots before reloading. That looks to be exactly how the Pounder behaves, which is uncharacteristic of TR.

Also, a few more MAX comments regarding models/animations;

1) The run animation for the TR MAX looks really goofy with arms flailing about. Maybe reel that in a bit?

2) The VS MAX is difficult to discern from a heavy assault due to its shape. I had no problem identifying NC and TR MAX, but the VS max was hard to differentiate from infantry. It needs to be a little bulkier or have a more easily defined shape so it can be clearly recognized as a MAX and not HA.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: MAX Style Inconsistencies / Feedback

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
1) The run animation for the TR MAX looks really goofy with arms flailing about. Maybe reel that in a bit?

2) The VS MAX is difficult to discern from a heavy assault due to its shape. I had no problem identifying NC and TR MAX, but the VS max was hard to differentiate from infantry. It needs to be a little bulkier or have a more easily defined shape so it can be clearly recognized as a MAX and not HA.
I don't remember seeing any TR MAX perspective where they weren't using dual heavy cyclers, and I don't remember paying attention to any of the VS MAX weapons when they were on-screen. So I won't comment on the balance (though I believe 7 rounds is what the Falcon had in PS1). However, I'll pull these two out, because they struck me, too.

The VS MAX could definitely use a little more bulk from the waist down, and could perhaps build up the shoulders some around the neck. I think this would help.

For me, I don't mind the "flailing" arms on the TR -- except that that animation isn't matched from the MAX's perspective, where his first-person running animation shows his weapons staying pretty well trained forward. Pick one, and make the other match it; I don't care which you pick.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I feel like one or two thin spikey bits coming off the legs and other parts of the VS MAX would preserve it's more slim style while still making it easy to identify.

As for weapons, I agree it needs to be tweaked, but the game isn't heavily balanced yet. I'd like to see the TR Cycler MAX get lower damage per shot, but much faster fire speed and much much more ammo.

I'd lile to see the TR MAX hold it's guns vertical, bent upwards at the elbow when running. More compact instead of flailing.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-07 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Arokel
Private

Have to disagree with the VS MAX looking too much like the VS heavy assault. The VS MAX has those massive shoulders and like the other MAXs it holds its arms different from any other unit.

I can see what you're saying because they are a little bit similar but in the end I don't think it will be an issue.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SztEltviz
Sergeant

Yes, TR max cycler is way to slow, it's thup-thup-thup instead of Prrrrrr
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

It's obvious when you see a TR and NC max. It isn't immediately obvious when you see a VS max. I agree with Xyn that a few more spikey bits on the shoulders and legs is probably all that's needed, but it needs something. Target identification is not something that should differ between empires, all maxes should be easily recognizable as maxes and not infantry. That's an important part of gameplay that should not be lopsided across empires.

As for the cycler, I too would like to see it fire a lot faster. More lead.

However, there is a logistical issue with that, and that is that the more projectiles it fires the more projectiles need to be rendered and transmitted. That means more lag, both visual and network. They might be trying to keep the TR weapons from being overly spammy for better performance. But yes, I agree it feels slow, and should be rougly 33-50% faster than what it is now.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

Are Maxes finished yet or were there placeholders installed in this build?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

It could be that the reason the quasar and the cycler looked so similar is because the Quasar (or the cycler) may not be finished yet and they were literal mirrors of each other in the demo, but with different animations.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Razicator
First Sergeant

I've noticed that when the TR maxes are sprinting, their upper torsos twist left and right so much it looks ridiculous.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Important MAX inconsistency: no one is jealous of the VS MAX looks. People actually make fun of it. Something is clearly wrong !
Old 2012-06-07, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
chanic
Private

A bit off topic but did you guys see the NC scattercannon MAX firing at night? Holy crap that was awesome!

And yeah, the AV ammo quantities for the NC and TR MAXes definitely seems backwards for their faction tendencies. No comment on the TR/VS anti-infantry weapon ammo count and firing rate being so similar. Considering that the VS MAX stopped walking around like a giant alien lobster in just the last couple of weeks it's probably a safe bet that it's not really done yet, so placeholders are likely.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Atheosim
Captain

I agree that the firing rate for the TR DC MAX is abysmal. Honestly I thought that the firing rate of the non-locked down DC MAX in PS1 was pathetic as well. Maybe they're going that route again: locking down yields a massive increase in fire rate.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
chanic
Private

I think it would be a nice touch if they made the dual cycler more unique by having it spin up as you fire it. Maybe have its initial fire rate be slightly slower than the quasar, but have it pass it up after a second and then become a fair bit faster.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Zulthus
Colonel

I'm VS, but I'd have to say my main gripe overall is how slow the TR max fires. They should raise the ammo count to 100, drop the damage, and speed up the ROF.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Arokel
Private

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I'm VS, but I'd have to say my main gripe overall is how slow the TR max fires. They should raise the ammo count to 100, drop the damage, and speed up the ROF.
Seems like it would be infringing on TR territory there with faster rof.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion