Something im worried about. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ew! Get it away from me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-11, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Re: Something im worried about.

Rest assured that any epic battles will be ignored for the stale eSports that will inevitably supplant it
Old 2012-08-11, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Wumpus
Private

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
Rest assured that any epic battles will be ignored for the stale eSports that will inevitably supplant it
Don't be so quick to judge. What I've heard from the devs so far imply they know full well what made PS a legend and why no true MMOFPS has been released since then. And that is the massive scale warfare. There will likely be smaller scale maps for squad and platoon level e-Sports, but in the end this will just boost the popularity of the primary game = a win win.
Old 2012-08-11, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Popularity itself is a meaningless metric. If its populated with people that don't give a shit about PlanetSide 2 the epic MMOFPS, then we become worse off due to the dilution of the spirit of the game. Non-players will only see PS2 through the lense of fauxhack game announcer dude, instead of cool, community-made videos of community-made battles
Old 2012-08-11, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
AThreatToYou
Major

I don't expect battles in PlanetSide 2 to often exceed the epic battles we saw in PlanetSide 1 due to the hex system that should, in theory, disperse the 2000 players over multiple territories. However, the capacity is there for a gigantic battle and it's most likely to happen around the final territories.
Old 2012-08-11, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Wumpus
Private

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
Popularity itself is a meaningless metric. If its populated with people that don't give a shit about PlanetSide 2 the epic MMOFPS, then we become worse off due to the dilution of the spirit of the game. Non-players will only see PS2 through the lense of fauxhack game announcer dude, instead of cool, community-made videos of community-made battles
Why all the doom and gloom? Why would people who don't give a shit about PS2 continue playing it? One thing I know of for sure is Planetside is only fun when there's a lot of peeps to shoot at. If the original was originally released free to play it would have been a lot more successful. It sounds to me that you actually think PS2 should be a subscription-only game with no ties to e-Sports at all. Look at what e-Sports did for Starcraft in Korea. Get a clue.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-11, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Smed
CEO Sony Online

Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
Im a Planetside virgin so to speak. I never played PS1 so maybe vets can reassure me. But with so much space to fight over, how likely and often will we get ocassions in which we are able to participate in MASSIVE battles? IE the 2000 player battles that are always talked about and like the trailers showed?

This game is like my dream come true for a game. BF games look like specs of dust beside the scale of this game and it makes me weep with joy. To be standing among you fine folks as 1000 of us line the walls of a fort for the oncoming enslaught heading our way...it will be incredible.
massive battles are happening all the time in the main bases. smaller battles happening at the smaller bases. With the new hotspot instant action system you can find a fight immediately.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Looopy
Private

gotta love smed stoppin in ^ Thanks!!
Old 2012-08-12, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by XxAxMayxX View Post
their will be something like 2,000 players per server and the frontline bases will probably be populated by 3 quarters of that so unless you go all the way to kingdom come you willl most likely find a fight.
I'm actually wondering precisely the opposite. Even with 600-something to a team, what incentive is there to guard a base that's not seeing any action at the moment? Will there be a lot of instances where a platoon that decides to attack an out of the way base finds it completely undefended? I hope not but I don't see where you could give motivation to guard every hex of your territory.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
SpottyGekko
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Salad Snake View Post
I'm actually wondering precisely the opposite. Even with 600-something to a team, what incentive is there to guard a base that's not seeing any action at the moment? Will there be a lot of instances where a platoon that decides to attack an out of the way base finds it completely undefended? I hope not but I don't see where you could give motivation to guard every hex of your territory.
My understanding is that capping takes longer the further away you are from your own faction controlled territory.

So, for instance, cap time could be:
5 mins in a hex adjoining your faction territory
10 mins in a hex 2 hexes away from your controlled territory
20 mins in a hex 3 hexes away, etc.

If there is an alarm triggered when someone initiates a cap sequence, then it gives the defender time to respond and neutralize the capper.

The "depth defence" theory also encourages factions to try and keep an even frontline. If your borders are very jagged, it will give the enemy plenty of opportunity to do deep strikes in your territory.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

Ah, I knew it would take longer, but I guess empty bases wouldn't be a problem if it alerted the faction getting base-jacked.
Old 2012-08-12, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

The problem is that they don't have a lattice system, if you watch the streams you can see the entire map changes hands every 20 minutes. If anyone can cap anything than what's the point of having amp stations and tech plants? It doesn't look like you are even at a disadvantage for not having a tech plant because a single burster max can nuke any aircraft in the game and even a main battle tank will lose 1/3rd of it's health to the battle rank 1, uncerted , dumbfire rocket launcher.

What I'm saying is, we are looking at a very, very early beta. I think 2 or 3 months from now we will see something really interesting, but right now it looks like they still have to get the netcode and the bones of the game finished before they can even begin to work on balance and nail down exactly how the map can be captured,
Old 2012-08-12, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Wumpus
Private

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
The problem is that they don't have a lattice system, if you watch the streams you can see the entire map changes hands every 20 minutes. If anyone can cap anything than what's the point of having amp stations and tech plants? It doesn't look like you are even at a disadvantage for not having a tech plant because a single burster max can nuke any aircraft in the game and even a main battle tank will lose 1/3rd of it's health to the battle rank 1, uncerted , dumbfire rocket launcher.

What I'm saying is, we are looking at a very, very early beta. I think 2 or 3 months from now we will see something really interesting, but right now it looks like they still have to get the netcode and the bones of the game finished before they can even begin to work on balance and nail down exactly how the map can be captured,
Yes they will definitely have to tweak how long it takes to cap certain structures and terrain hexes (and tweak the time to kill algorithm). But as far as I can tell you still need to cap the terrain hexes leading up to a base so in essence there is a lattice system of sorts - you can't just Galaxy drop into the center of your enemy's territory and cap a base that's totally surrounded by enemy controlled hexes.
Old 2012-08-12, 10:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Boone
Sergeant

It's an early ass/raw Beta with no organization, clueless players, and the servers probably aren't even at full tilt yet. I'd calm down, we have plenty of time to worry that's for sure.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Hunterzen
Corporal

Check this out.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Cyrane
Private

The OP mentions 1000 people standing on the walls of a fort defending it etc.. sort of like in Planetside 1. However what is preventing people from just running all over a base without proper walls or other defenses stopping them, from the footage I have seen so far there seems to be a noticeable lack of walls or other defenses that prevent people from running all over the place.

Hopefully Smed is still reading this thread and could give us some insight, or any of the other people in this thread of course
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion