Which SmedBlog idea do you want to see first? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1100 members lusting after eMa...and growing daily.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Timealude
Captain

Re: Which SmedBlog idea do you want to see first?

1) weather- The idea of having to compensate for lack of vision or having to adjust to ice on wings or tank treads would be awesome and freshen up continuous game play.

2) Water and seamless transition between continents - Thought I highly doubt we will see it this soon, I would love to be able to fly or even sail across to another continent and have an aquatic assault.

3) Harvestable resources) -This would be somewhat fun, depending on how they do it. I know a few people in the thread about this had ideas of weather it would be player controlled or NPC controlled but it would be pretty neat to add another objective, (maybe even be able to capture a base that sends out harvesters kinda like RST games.)

4) Outfit Bases- Im kinda iffy on this even though im sure it would be cool to have. The balancing issues might be pretty high on this but i still have faith on the dev team.

5) More guns and vehicles- For now I think the game has enough but, they will be needed in the future to help the game grow and evolve.

6) NPC enemies/armies- Im kinda at a wait and see with this one, If they do it a good way then it has good potential.

7) Mac support - I dont own a mac but those people who have no other choice I hope have the chance to experience the awesome game that will be PS2

8) Esports - I know they want this to be a very big hit in the easy sport community, but as my personal preference I only like fighting games as an Esport. To me watching RTS matches as well as shooter matches are boring. But who knows....SOE could prove me wrong and change my mind.

I think all of these vary from awesome to I have to wait and see but there are a few things they are planning that are interesting and with implementing them the right way they could be ground breaking in the FPS community as a whole.
Old 2012-08-12, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sunrock
Major

Hands down it's the player bases.
Old 2012-08-12, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Morphic
Private

Flying Battleships.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Stardouser
Colonel

From pure desire standpoint; number 3: seamless planetary travel. From a mixture of desire plus being able to be done sooner, outfit bases.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Seamless world, and Harvesters.

The others wouldn't have a severe impact on the battle so they are meh.

I don't like the idea of player created bases at all. If they wanted to do that they should have started with blank continents and let us build destroyable bases where we want. SWG was the only game where I saw player/guild housing done right. Every other game set an entire instance to one side for it which doesn't sit well with me.
I'd like Seamless world (with Naval combat) first.... cause that's just awesome... but I know that's not realistic

I like to combine the NPC and Harvester idea. It simply adds new tactical options for attacking and forces more active defenses. It also adds a bit more realism and immersion to the gathering of those resources you're spending. I see some potential here (and some potential pitfalls to be sure) and think it would a lot to the games strategy.

Weather is awesome... adds more dynamic goodness to the game. Environmental hazards wouldn't be entirely amiss either. I mean, a measurable portion of my deaths most certainly should NOT come from lightning strikes.... but it COULD happen. quicksand, lavaflow/active volcanos could be in some areas on various continents/islands as well. This is all more aesthetic so not really high priority... but it could add to the game for sure (and attacks in a storm, or a random storm rolling in right as the vanguard hits... could make for some great chaotic battles)

Then the shoutcasting support (which will probably be in before any of the other ideas :P ) Still not convinced adding anything else under that thread is worth while, but in game broadcasting support could have all kinds of uses.

Buildable bases... I think a good place for buildables would be on the naval resource nodes and on the islands/isles that get added around continents when the seamless ocean is added.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-12 at 03:51 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hunterzen
Corporal

1) Weather: I play video games for immersion, and weather adds a whole lot to that.

1 1/2: vehicle boarding/disboarding animations thx for reminding me Shogun

2) Water and seamless transition between continents: Would be a very good addition, but worry about weather then water then seamless travel.

3) More guns and vehicles: Yes please

4) Outfit Bases: Sounds good to me.

5) Harvestable resources: Cool I don't see why not.

6) Mac support: Yes please I have friends with Macs who would love to play PS2.

7) NPC enemies/armies: Meh, If done wrong it could potentially kill PS2, and I don't like the idea of one or few players being able to spawn armies.

8) Esports - Whatever

Last edited by Hunterzen; 2012-08-12 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
sagolsun
Corporal

He pretty much nailed the order of things:

In order of "what I want the most" (not necessarily the order it should be implemented)

1) Player Owned bases

2) Harvestable resources

3) Flying aircraft carriers/floating bases. It's an often-demanded feature, it was the single most amazing thing in BF2142

3) Water between continents - seamlessly

8) Weather

4) Lots more vehicles and weapons - as long as this means new kinds of weapons, not just new graphics and marginally different stats. Take a look at BF3 - even though there's a lot of guns most players are using whichever weapon is deemed to be currently the best by the community - currently M16A3.

6) NPC armies
As long as the NPC armies are PURPOSELY DESIGNED to be an extension of the player's arsenal, an additional weapon with specific uses

9) Mac version (soon after launch).

do-not-care) Esports support. PS2 isn't tennis. PS2 is WAR!
do-not-care) NPC enemies If you want to do events there are hundreds of players willing to sign an NDA and perform gamemaster-like duties. Making an AI-controlled invasion will never work because AI is always inferior to players.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-08-12, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Weather should be first. It's not controversial and adds freshness and new tactics to the game.

Clouds for aircraft to hide in alone could add a great dynamic to the game. Let alone the impact rain, fog, snow, or simply overcast would have.

Imagine an overcast area where aircraft above the clouds are completely obscured from the ground. They can't see the ground, but the ground can't see them either. They fly by instruments (mini-map), which some types of weather could obstruct, like an ion storm or other effects that could knock those instruments out. Imagine an overcast day where you have an entirely different battle because you have liberators ducking in and out of clouds, or you have galaxies deploying troops with little warning because they were above the clouds and you got a surprise drop. To counter you deploy more fighters to patrol the area above the clouds and look for Liberators and Galaxies or aircraft ducking in and out. At the same time ground forces also have some protection against aircraft due to clouds because the ones coming down to attack ground targets are lower and more vulnerable to ground-based AA. You could have dogfights above the clouds that are completely shielded from ground-based AA, which would not otherwise be possible.

Foggy days could make snipers and aircraft visibility poor against ground targets, making stealthy ground approaches better and battle more chaotic. Rainy might end up like a combination of overcast and fog. Blizzards might reduce visibility severely on Esamir. It's all there to change what might be effective and diversify strategies and tactics.

So clouds, weather systems, rainy days, fog, partly cloudy days, and completely clear days. All of these are awesome things that a weather system can provide and completely change gameplay in diverse ways. Battles could be entirely different based purely on the weather, and that's awesome and a great way to add freshness to the game and rich gameplay not found in any other game.

Weather. Without a doubt Weather is the thing I want to see first before anything else.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-08-12 at 04:04 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Shogun
Contributor
General

seamless continents

vehicle boarding animations

if ai and pve has to come, bring back spitfires at first! then maybe let there be a giant alien queen every now and then, that messes up the frontline, but not too often.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-08-12, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
BlackOriOn
Contributor
Private

Definitely water, at least like the old PS1

BlackOriOn
Old 2012-08-12, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Wandering Mania
Private

The seemless world would be my choice and a verry close second would be the driveable extractors. The warp gates could be implmented in a diffrent way to make the seemless world work better as 1 faction warpgate could be on each of the current contenants with more totaly nutral or fought over added later.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
RSphil
Contributor
Major

im going 4,8,1,2 rest not bothered about tbh anything Esports doesn't interest me at all. i like the big open world and large scale combat.

Last edited by RSphil; 2012-08-12 at 05:05 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Masterr
Staff Sergeant

1. Weather - it was talked about way before beta, it adds immersion, everyone will say yes to weather, it adds to tactical gameplay, everything about weather makes the game better, makes it feel more like a real world.

2. Seamless continents - Makes the game into even more of a war, will add further customization, more vehicles, more tactics.

3. More Weapon and Vehicles - Because that's awesome.

4. Mac version

5. Player owned bases

6. Harvestable resources - Pretty low on the list, rather people fight for the resources than grab a dump truck. This should only be on the server with player owned bases. Want to build a base? Harvest the resources and make the game into minecraft.

7. E-Sports - I have my doubts that it will be as big as Smedley is hoping it will. For their sake, I really hope SOE is right, since they will be doing e-sports. Lots of time/resources will be going into E-sports and I would like for them to be rewarded for their efforts.

8. Army/Invasion - could be cool for events...but still sorta unnecessary, this would def. be year 3 post launch.

What I don't care for.

1. vehicle enter/exit animations - doesn't add anything in terms of gameplay, its only flashy. Lots of dev time to do something like this at the quality they would want to do it at. Rather just hold E and wait for a certain amount of time to board a vehicle. Not instantly going in and out.

2. NPC Armies - I really don't care for this idea. I honestly hope that idea doesn't come to fruition.

Last edited by Masterr; 2012-08-12 at 05:19 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Quantum Spices
Private

I would LOVE to see the NPCs in here, as long as they are done right. You should not have to interact with them in any way other than shooting them*; and they should definitely not be your main source of xp or resources, more of a freebie to shoot at in-between larger combat events.

They should also be dynamic - some places might have a ton of alien guys hanging about, but in 2 hours they will be on the other side of the map taking residence in a small outpost, or scampering inbetween trees or rocks and stuff.

*other than sending them off to another base, of course ^_^
Old 2012-08-12, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Archonzero
Sergeant

***DISCLAIMER, none of these are my own, just concept ideas I've come across***

Designs by http://karanak.deviantart.com/

Slow moving Flying Carrier ship (outfit?)

Or a mobile flying battleship (outfit?)

TR design

Vanu Design

NC design

Or a slow moving mobile land fortress (outfit?)

Above designs by http://karanak.deviantart.com/
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion