News: SOE announces Alpha Squad - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We all know what egg is but what the hell is nog
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-09, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Re: SOE announces Alpha Squad

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
TRay, what's up with the "camo" suits with this thing? They are spastic and ugly, like a toddler with crayons, only without the, "awe isn't t sewet". Any chance these we could get these swapped out (optionally) for something like a slick, professional looking military uniform-like color scheme? Something without battle damage on it perhaps? I would never be caught wearing that red/white "camo"...
ok, I'm going to start this conversation off like this. Respect the work that was done if you truly want a respectful response. I may be a dev and I may work for Sony but that doesn't mean that I wont speak my mind when someone insults the hard work that my team put in on this project. It's ok not to like everything in the game. I have no illusions that everyone will love everything we do but if you really want a dialogue with me then you better come correct with the question.

anyway. Each non-neutral tint will have faction specific colors in them so that no one can buy a tint that makes them look like the other factions. I tweeted out the color palettes some time ago. We will be using the colors combinations from each one of those swatches to tint non-neutral camo patterns. So if you have a digital camo it will be a tones in the range of grey, warm grey, red, and charcoal for the TR.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-09, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

OOOOOooooOOOOO.......

Old 2012-09-09, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
OOOOOooooOOOOO.......

LOL Mr. Higby.
I'm happy about the camo, I like them. Tram is an awesome artist. The team is great. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I will be wearing mine with pride.
Old 2012-09-09, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by J Baley View Post
LOL Mr. Higby.
I'm happy about the camo, I like them. Tram is an awesome artist. The team is great. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I will be wearing mine with pride.
Don't you mean *at* Pride?

Ho ho.

But srs. I think it looks great.

Edit: Is it good that members of the team read and post here?
I'm not saying I think otherwise, this kind of works, but it's nice to have a 'safe space' to slag off the game and "SOE" without wanting to cause actual offence to individuals involved; or risk being put on someone's naughty list.

Sometimes a brother/sister just needs to let off steam.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2012-09-09 at 07:02 PM.
Old 2012-09-09, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
Don't you mean *at* Pride?

Ho ho.
Oh, that was joke. Funny.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-09-09, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
The artwork in the game I don't have a problem with. The metagame however I have a huge problem with and I am blue in the face about it.
And it's ok to not like some things we do, so ask (in general, not you perse') straight up and down questions and we will give guys the honest truth as we see it. I love chatting with you guys, I do it all day long on twitter but give me and the rest of the team the common respect as a human being when asking a question or posting an idea. I don't think that is too much to ask for.

We are here for the community as the community is here for us. I love this team, community, and this game just like you guys do.

respect
Old 2012-09-09, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Canadian Vanu
Corporal

I would certainly buy this, but i just bought the crysis pack from steam.

So now for me to feel truly okay with buying the pack, I need to finish Crysis, Crysis Warhead and Crysis 2.
Old 2012-09-09, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
OOOOOooooOOOOO.......

I love that.
Old 2012-09-10, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
ok, I'm going to start this conversation off like this. Respect the work that was done if you truly want a respectful response. I may be a dev and I may work for Sony but that doesn't mean that I wont speak my mind when someone insults the hard work that my team put in on this project. It's ok not to like everything in the game. I have no illusions that everyone will love everything we do but if you really want a dialogue with me then you better come correct with the question.

anyway. Each non-neutral tint will have faction specific colors in them so that no one can buy a tint that makes them look like the other factions. I tweeted out the color palettes some time ago. We will be using the colors combinations from each one of those swatches to tint non-neutral camo patterns. So if you have a digital camo it will be a tones in the range of grey, warm grey, red, and charcoal for the TR.
As a person who has three young children, I'm sorry to have offended you by saying that the suit "camo" looks like something they've done, but that's what came to my mind and that's what I shared. Perhaps I should keep my "sense of humour" to myself. I am, however, not at all sorry that I don't like the "camo" and that I find it ugly and that I told you so; These things happen.

Incidentally, I think the tank "camos" look fine, largely because they aren't a bunch of tiny splotches of colour, but swaths of colour that compliment the shape of the tanks.

I would have preferred a design along the lines of the far right in this picture, which is a progression of the design on the far left. Instead we have the "camo" offered in the Alpha Squad, which to me just seems flamboyant for the sake being so and more like a pair of PJs than a military uniform. Add to that how I don't appreciate the visual effect of "camo pattern" and you end up at my disappointment that it's the only suit that comes with the AS. I think that's a fair and reasonable assessment and expression of my feelings on the matter.

Douching it up with pride, Gangnam style,

- Tatwi
Old 2012-09-10, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

I like the way the Alpha camos look, but either way, I think the point is to have them recognizable to distinguish who is flaunting their Alpha. I will be personally hosting an all Alpha Squad Raid.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-09-10, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Dagron
Captain

The guy didn't like the camo and tried to convey how much he disliked it. It's easy to get offended when people criticize us on the internet because of all the trolls and jerks, but in this case (probably because it wasn't directed at me) it didn't sound to me like he was trying to insult anyone. While discussing on internet forums, sometimes we all make over the top comments without thinking of how others will feel about it and also overreact to such comments when they're directed at ourselves (i know i often do). Knowing that, i always try to remember to add a grain of salt.

Now, i don't want to piss anyone off, but i feel that if we don't like something, we should talk about it (otherwise how will people know that there's a part of the community that was expecting something better?). That said, i'm sorry to say that i'm not a fan of the AS infantry camo either, i wouldn't buy it if it was in the store. In fact since cosmetics are the only reason i'd buy the AS pack, i feel that a simple camo that doesn't feel particularly special doesn't make me want to buy any more SC than i already have (i bought some because i want to support PS2), and that's what the AS is: SC with some free stuff that doesn't interest me.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-09-10 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2012-09-10, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
ISVRaDa
Private

I bought my "Alpha Squad" today ^^

Now I need a new PC for the release...
Old 2012-09-10, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
Real Talk.

I understand how lots of people may not like X or Y about a game in development and they want to make the devs hear and understand their feelings.....

but how attacking their work with derogatory statements ever going to help you sell your ideas?

I see this a LOT, on the multitude of beta forums I'm on or been on. Even worse are the direct personal attacks.

Respect and Courtesy make the world go round. If you ain't with that, you're gonna find yourself left behind everytime.

Originally Posted by Dagron View Post
The guy didn't like the camo and tried to convey how much he disliked it.
He could have simply said

"Hey TRay, I know a lot of people love this camo but I just never see myself using it, not my style. Any chance for..."

And there would have been nothing wrong with that.

Instead he said that their professional hard work looked like "child's scribbling", was ugly, and a few other unnecessary opinionated criticisms. That's derogatory... ESPECIALLY to an artist.

It's fine not to like something, you don't need to invent insults to convey that though... just say "hey, I don't really like it"
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion