MMO Attack Games Dev interview: Arclegger - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma must be squozen
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-01-09, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
raw
Sergeant

Re: MMO Attack Games Dev interview: Arclegger

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Clegg made the Crown and the Bio Lab - the two best cert farms anywhere. If you like defense, he's your favorite person on the dev team!

He also made Vanu Archives. Some of my favorite places to fight!
indeed... there're more terrans in the vanu archives than actual vanu.

i really like the whole triangle allatum, vanu archives, snake ravine lookout. probably one of the best places in the game. the flow is really great. had some very nice combined arms battles there in beta. not so much since launch sadly, it's just terrain that's crossed but not fought over.

Last edited by raw; 2013-01-09 at 12:38 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by raw View Post
indeed... there're more terrans in the vanu archives than actual vanu.
There's more Vanu in the NC Arsenal than NC...

...So where are the NC more!? D:
Old 2013-01-09, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
There's more Vanu in the NC Arsenal than NC...

...So where are the NC more!? D:
Feldspar Canyon.
Besides, with proper defense up top, along the ridges/bridge Feldspar canyon is amongst my favorite place to fight.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-01-09, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

No no I mean, we should be taking something that has "TR" in it, or the circle wouldn't be complete! D:
Old 2013-01-09, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Assist
Contributor
Major

Clegg made the Crown and the Bio Lab - the two best cert farms anywhere. If you like defense, he's your favorite person on the dev team!

How many different people are on the base design team? Also are Warpgates and base locations done by the same team that designs the bases?
Old 2013-01-09, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by arclegger View Post
Yea but this guy also is responsible for the building layout of the crown. What a dick!
While a lot of people will love you for that, its going to be a nightmare leading people and trying to distract from that godforsaken place.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-01-09, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
arclegger
PlanetSide 2
Level Designer

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
How many different people are on the base design team? Also are Warpgates and base locations done by the same team that designs the bases?
There's about 8-9 of us but some can move around to other things like gameplay if they need help and vice versa.

I came up with the concept for the warpgate layout and one of my leads built it.

Edit: Yes the same team does all of the level design.

Last edited by arclegger; 2013-01-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ThePackage
Private

Vanu Archives is probably the best designed base in PS2.

Bases without tedious shield generators seem to offer the best fighting experience. Tech Plants would be the best large base if they didn't completely nerf their defensibility into the ground.

They needed a change for sure, but the solution was bad, and whoever made that should feel bad.

Last edited by ThePackage; 2013-01-09 at 01:04 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Assist
Contributor
Major

There's about 8-9 of us but some can move around to other things like gameplay if they need help and vice versa.

I came up with the concept for the warpgate layout and one of my leads built it.

Edit: Yes the same team does all of the level design.
That's a good thing. Location, imo, means as much as the base design. I was hoping they didn't just give you a plot of land to work with and design the base around it. I like the Warpgates, the positions aren't ideal on all continents but I think overall they're very well designed. Base location is great in my opinion, although a few more defensive designs would be great for some of the smaller bases. Wouldn't mind some of those snake-back roads being shortened around the VS Warpgate on Amerish too :P
I don't know which team works on the physics of the game, but it seems like the .. Z-Axis?.. is off a little bit when it comes to momentum. The reason I say this is I'm a Magrider driver and I've noticed that on certain inclines - say 60º - it's very difficult to go up sometimes. If I'm almost at a dead stop and I try to Magburn, I go no where because of the simple physics of it. However, if I'm on a 85º slope and I Magburn, I'll shoot right up it and even gain more momentum as I go. The best example I can give is a Magrider video of a guy going up Scarred Mesa -
The reason I bring this up with base design, is that intended to be an option or is that something that is looking to be fixed ?(I assume it's not intended) Which leads me to another question - Do you sometimes want to wring the neck of some of these other design teams(gun balance, vehicle balance)? I personally love the Amp Stations and have had a few great fights at them, but they are without a doubt dominated by vehicles right now. I think if I had to pick a favorite major base in the game it would be Nott Amp Station.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-01-09 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 01:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Oh be nice. I know the base layout is what it is but you still gotta give props at the fact that that shit is handcrafted.

He's talking about the biolabs, I personally love the biolabs and of all the facilities they're my favorite to fight in (even with dual hacksaws.) The teleport shacks could be placed in a multistory building to aid in breaking out and make it less 'campy' but overall I like it.
I have to admit that the biodomes are the best of all the poor designed major bases of ps2 without talking about several outposts.
I dont say the bases of ps2 look bad but they all lack of proper defenses (Also the biodomes!). We all know the issues...

btw talking about handcrafted bases is missleading. Handcrafted mean that every base should be unique and that is not the case in ps2. The bases are more a copy-paste-thing with small adjustments at several bases. Therefore, no reason for props here.

I dont want to offend Clegg personally but the base design in general is one of the major issues this game is facing atm.

Last edited by Mox; 2013-01-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
...btw talking about handcrafted bases is missleading. Handcrafted mean that every base should be unique and that is not the case in ps2. The bases are more a copy-paste-thing with small adjustments at several bases. Therefore, no reason for props here.

I dont want to offend Clegg personally but the base design in general is one of the major issues this game is facing atm.
I agree, base design exacerbates some important issues but when I think handcrafted it's less 'copy and paste' and more 'Amish homemade bed'. Which sounds fucking lovely as it's past my nap time.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-01-09, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
gunshooter
Corporal

Sounds like he really enjoys making bases where the attackers are spawn camping the defenders the second they push out of their own spawn point. A great designer for sure!
Old 2013-01-09, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Canaris
Contributor
General

Yea but this guy also is responsible for the building layout of the crown. What a dick!
the biolab and the crown..... you sir are truly evil! Why are you with the NC when TR is obviously your true calling, !sU nioJ

Any chance when you build your next biodome can you make it twice the size, that always means twice the fun right?

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms

Last edited by Canaris; 2013-01-09 at 02:08 PM.
Old 2013-01-09, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

I was just shocked at how Young Clegg is! Man, he reminds me of my kid. I guess that means i am just OOOOOLLLLLLDDDDD!

I take out all you whippersnappers though! And get off my lawn dammit!

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2013-01-09, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Defensive fights are my favorite kind. And I pretty much only play at the crown and bio labs.

Mr Arclegger, I salute you.

PS: Let some of your teammates go over to gameplay while you ninja fix their bases.

Last edited by QuantumMechanic; 2013-01-09 at 02:33 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion