Feedback on Hotspots for Higby - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Oh bugger.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-02-26, 10:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Re: Feedback on Hotspots for Higby

I'm seeing a lot of feedback about Instant Action. While it's appreciated, I'm asking for feedback on the new Hotspots filter.
Old 2013-02-26, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
I'm seeing a lot of feedback about Instant Action. While it's appreciated, I'm asking for feedback on the new Hotspots filter.
Ignorance is bliss... What's the difference between these two things?
Old 2013-02-26, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Zulthus
Colonel

I personally think that the older version of hotspots worked better. It's harder to see the flashing circles when it's on your empire's hexes. I'd say keep the slow flashing indicator, with it becoming larger as a fight grows.

edit: didn't see you meant feedback on the current changes, nevermind

Last edited by Zulthus; 2013-02-26 at 10:39 PM.
Old 2013-02-26, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
phungus
Master Sergeant

Well to be fair they are inter related, since instant actions are how you use hotspots. I never really had much of a problem with instant actions, because you could use enemy activity information to pick your fight, I never really went wrong with going to a yellow "squads detected" spot anyway. I'll see if dropping on hotter areas are less likely to put you in frustrating situations, but again based on how I play this wasn't really a problem.

Ultimately I think hotspots and instant action is more about getting joe casual into a place where he can have fun. On that line my friend's main problem with instant action is that you can do it once, then it's done. If he drops into an area that wasn't a good drop, or a battle that was good but then is won or lost quickly, he's stuck. It wouldn't be an issue at all if he dropped into a bad battle, died and then could pick himself up and go somewhere else, but right now with how things work he often finds himself unable to figure out where to go or what to do because the instant action timer is up and there isn't really any other means to find a fun fight for him.
Old 2013-02-27, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

Since hotspots and IA are intertwined so much, its hard to separate.

However, and this may answer your question... what filter? The UI isn't really explained anywhere. I just look where the most bubbles are and IA there.
Old 2013-02-27, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rahabib View Post
what filter?
Hot Spots on/off on map = hot spot filter.
Old 2013-02-27, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

To me, they function most like the old hotspots in Planetside, where they show the exact area of the fight and to some extent, the intensity.

I have found that they don't always update/refresh as quickly as I'd like. That is to say, they'll still be going off fast and furious when the fight is winding down. All in all though, brilliant.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-02-27, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

I agree with people who don't think they give enough information or are clear enough as to the meaning.

Generally speaking it will tell you there is something going on at a place (when it updates properly), but not enough to make a good decision on spawning/heading there.

I think it would help to tie it to weapons fire so that the size and quantity of the bubbles reflects what's actually going on. You'd have tiny rapid ones every time x amount of infantry fire off in a given timeframe and large slower ones for tank fire, for example, so that it's a visual representation of the sound of the battle if you will.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion