If There Was A Singleplayer PlanetSide-based Game... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you cannot read this, please ask an admin for assistance.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-15, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Question If There Was A Singleplayer PlanetSide-based Game...

...created by a non-affiliated studio (in case you want to play the unnecessary drain of human resource card), on which side would you want to see the protagonist? Or would you rather have it (Old) CoD style, where there are several protagonists?

Because I would love to play an SP game based around PlanetSide lore and, I think, the protagonist should be NC. This would allow for a wonderful prisonbreak sequence in the beginning. I also think if it's ever created, the timeline should be set before the immortality and cover the first days of war with TR, alongside with VS joining the fight. Not to mention that you can have flashbacks of the bombing of Discovery-7 and such.

In short, the questions:
  1. Would you play the game?
  2. On which side would you want to see the protagonist?
  3. Would you rather have it (Old) CoD style, where there are 2 or more protagonists?

P.S. Hell, I wish I could attach a poll to this.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-05-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Re: If There Was A Singleplayer PlanetSide-based Game...

No poll needed...

1. No
2. Anwser 1. anwsers question 2.
3. see above...

Single player FPS needs to die already.....the expirience playing against real people is much more gratifying, challenging, and the technology is here to do it so why go back to a rails FPS?? Playing on a sandbox with bots is about as much as I will tollerate.....if you want a good story go read a book.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

1. I would play the game.
2. If it were a single-role game, I'd like to see it as a TR protagonist (preferably an officer) at the very beginning, and you have a choice to defect to either the VS or NC. This is if we go with pre-war.
If we don't go with pre-war, and we go with the endgame sequence where someone wins, I'd rather there be no single protagonist and you can choose from the beginning who you will be fighting for.
At the game's end, you'll have a peace treaty with your faction getting the better of it. "Auraxian Conglomerate", "Terran Sovereignty", "Vanu Republic" etc.
Then see cliffhanger of the wormhole opening again and the battle begins between new faction and Earth TR, or another peace treaty if Terran wins.
3) It would be nice if we had the old COD style where we had multiple protagonists telling the same story, and somewhere in the middle of the game the storylines meet up and you choose who wins and goes on to complete the game.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-05-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by VaderShake View Post
It doesn't necessarily. You can still feel neutral about it, in spite of not wanting to play, and in that case you can still express your opinion.

Single player FPS needs to die already.....the expirience playing against real people is much more gratifying, challenging, and the technology is here to do it so why go back to a rails FPS?? Playing on a sandbox with bots is about as much as I will tollerate.....if you want a good story go read a book.
The point is, the book doesn't give you that feeling of "having effect on the storyline". Sure you do live through the characters' feelings, but it always follows one defined line, you cannot step away from even slightly. Not saying reading is bad, just saying that SP computer games are not bad either.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
AThreatToYou
Major

Single player FPS games can have mechanics that just don't work in multiplayer games. For example, dialogue with characters, moral choices, the skyline from BI, irreversible decisions as far as gun choices and et cetera. Boss battles and more.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
WSNeo
Master Sergeant

Metroid Prime and Unreal would like to have a word with you.

Old 2013-05-15, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
If There Was A Singleplayer PlanetSide-based Game
Not happening. OP is bad. Ban OP, lock and gas thread for this terrible suggestion. This suggestion merits banning OP from all of Planetside as well.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-05-15 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
psijaka
Contributor
Major

I've played several CODs in the past, but was NEVER interested in the single player campaigns in the slightest. Played the first mission of COD4 and immediately lost interest; hate being on a linear pre-determined path.

If I want a PvE game, I'll go back to Firefall; multiplayer with dynamic events much more fun than a scripted storyline. And "The Chosen" are really nasty common foes.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

No poll needed...

1. No
3. see above...

Well, I wouldn't say they should die. Some single player FPSs have great immersion and atmosphere. I imagine such an atmosphere is easier to create with a single player game because it is more confined, and more resources can be spent on those particular places you'll experience. It's also not as hard on your system. Metro comes to mind as an example.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Pella
Captain

People still play SP games?

Last one i bought Bioshock bored the shit out of me. 3 Hours played.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Not happening. OP is bad. Ban OP, lock and gas thread for this terrible suggestion. This suggestion merits banning OP from all of Planetside as well.
Any particular reason, except for "because"?..

Old 2013-05-15, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Dragonskin
Major

If it was like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I could see playing it. If the game was taken too seriously then meh... already have all the other terrible milsims out there.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Well, I wouldn't say they should die. Some single player FPSs have great immersion and atmosphere. I imagine such an atmosphere is easier to create with a single player game because it is more confined, and more resources can be spent on those particular places you'll experience. It's also not as hard on your system. Metro comes to mind as an example.
Yea, sometimes single player is a nice escape from online because you don't have Oppa Gang Style or whatever sound clip playing by the random blaring his mic next to you in the warpgate. You also don't usually have to deal with team killing idiots or people intentionally trying to get under your skin.

All that said, I still prefer online player vs player games to player vs AI games.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
If it was like Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I could see playing it. If the game was taken too seriously then meh... already have all the other terrible milsims out there.
You see, I know a person (with a meritable cybersportive background, "Lolwut an MP person playing singleplayer games?.." you say) with a completely polar opinion. He says that Blood Dragon shouln't have had Far Cry 3 in its name, since how unserious it was.

Old 2013-05-15, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

I'd rather play a RTS based on PS2 lore, than a FPS based on PS2 lore myself.

Command and Conquer: Auraxian Alert.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion