Some good PS ideas. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ive lost my mojo
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-05-21, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kam
Major

Some good PS ideas.

1. What are missing from this game are the artillery cannons, the regular kind. I think what should be done is remove some of the bases that there are two of on a continent and create something like the fire support bases of Vietnam. The idea is simple. You have three large (160mm-220mm) artillery cannons in a triangle formation surrounded by high walls. The entirety of the actual walk in base would be underground, and there would be no vehicle terminals. The three cannons can rotate 360 degrees and move up and down between 30 and 90 degrees. There would only be one of these per continent and they would be near or in the center, so they could cover the entirety of said continent. Only CR 3-5 would be able to use these artillery pieces.
2. They need to add pull able artillery. Meaning, a harasser or vehicle like it, could pull a 100mm artillery piece behind it. It would then disconnect from said vehicle and deploy as a stationary gun that can rotate 180 degrees and move up and down 30 to 90 degrees. This could shoot different rounds depending on what the target is.
3. A third kind of structure is needed. There are the towers and main bases, but there is nothing in-between them. There should be medium sized bases that are small and well defended. Also, there should be bases on the tops of mountains that are only reachable by air vehicles and artillery fire (no orbital strikes either).
4. Another full sized continent is needed in the upper right corner (look on the world map).

I might have more later, tell me what you think. No flaming.

Last edited by Kam; 2004-05-21 at 01:05 AM.
Old 2004-05-21, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

You need to provide actual justification for your ideas. Why does there need to be an artillery spot? I think Planetside has enough impersonal, skilless ways to gain kills as is. This would only compound the issue of flails and liberations simply unloading ordinance and killing people without any real thought put into it. Similar arguments can be applied to your other recommendations. If there "needs" to be something, elaborate on why you feel it's important.
Old 2004-05-21, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Cryptica
First Sergeant

I agree. The ideas aren't entirely bad, and could even be cool in some cases (I like the new medium-sized base thing), but I don't see enough justification for the artillary. I get killed by friendly flails almost as often as I do by enemy flails.
Old 2004-05-21, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

The ideas arn't bad at all but I support the medium sized bases inbetween towers and bases much more than more artilery pieces.

Old 2004-05-21, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I like the medium sized base idea a lot

The artillery ideas aren't really something I'd really want, people complain about the flail as it is

And the gap in the top right is for the chat window to go, SmokeJumper said so
Old 2004-05-21, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Kam
Major

Well the thing about actual artillery is that it's not always a one hit kill scenario like the flail, especially the pull able artillery pieces. Also the CR's would not get xp for using the large artillery pieces.
Old 2004-05-21, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
scarpas
Captain

Originally Posted by Kam
Well the thing about actual artillery is that it's not always a one hit kill scenario like the flail, especially the pull able artillery pieces. Also the CR's would not get xp for using the large artillery pieces.

as the candians would say "eh?"
Old 2004-05-21, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Kam
It doesn't matter if it's one hit kill or not. Right now combat in Planetside is for the most part reliant on weapons which take minimal skill to use to good effect. Tanks, Reavers, Heavy Assault weapons, Flails, Liberators, etc, all can be used to get a lot of kills by people who are mediocre at best. The last thing I would want to see is even more things which exacerbate the problem by making more ways to kill lot's of people that are stupid-simple.
Old 2004-05-21, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kam
Major

I'm not saying this would be easy. The big pieces can only be used by high level CR's and they require a spotter, plus there would only be three per continent. The pullable artillery pieces would have thier own cert and it would take time and skill to set them up in a good spot. These pullable pieces also offer no protection to the user and can be hacked. They would not need a spotter.
Old 2004-05-21, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Headrattle
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warborn
It doesn't matter if it's one hit kill or not. Right now combat in Planetside is for the most part reliant on weapons which take minimal skill to use to good effect. Tanks, Reavers, Heavy Assault weapons, Flails, Liberators, etc, all can be used to get a lot of kills by people who are mediocre at best. The last thing I would want to see is even more things which exacerbate the problem by making more ways to kill lot's of people that are stupid-simple.

All of those weapons take skill. In some cases a lot of skill. While, not as much skill as a sniper, they do take skill.

Reducing the game down to snipers and medium assult wouldn't make for a fun game.
Old 2004-05-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Headrattle
All of those weapons take skill. In some cases a lot of skill. While, not as much skill as a sniper, they do take skill.

Reducing the game down to snipers and medium assult wouldn't make for a fun game.
Everything takes a degree of skill, that should be a given. What I mean is that there is very little room for improvement with these vehicles/weapons, and that even a very poor player can do well with them simply because of how they're designed. Maybe I'm being elitist, but I think weapons which are easy to pick up and shoot but have enough quirks to them that it leaves a lot of room for improvement would be ideal. For example, HA weapons have large clips, large areas of effect (lasher orbs lashing, jackhammer/mcg spray), don't require you to control your fire to maintain accuracy, and are literally unmatched by any other weapons an infantryman can carry indoors. There is very little room for someone to improve in the field of actually firing a HA weapon effectively, because they're such simple weapons to use already.

So that's what I don't want to see more of. Weapons that any idiot could jump into, point, click, and score kills with a degree of frequency. Once upon a time HA weapons blew and people used MA a hell of a lot, and unlike now, you had to actually be reasonably good at firing a weapon to kill someone. PS was a lot more fun back then.

Last edited by Warborn; 2004-05-21 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2004-05-21, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kam
Major

What about what I just said?
Old 2004-05-21, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Kam
What about what I just said?
Does it offer players the ability to attack other players from relative safety and with large, explosive ordinance which doesn't require any aiming beyond the initial setting up of your aim? If so, then I don't like the idea, but we've got artillery and bombers so maybe the developers would like it.
Old 2004-05-21, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kam
Major

I said it would require a spotter, and just like real artillery it doesn't hit the same spot every time. The pullable ones would have to have ammo fed to them as they would not store their own like vehicles.
Old 2004-05-21, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Kam
I said it would require a spotter, and just like real artillery it doesn't hit the same spot every time. The pullable ones would have to have ammo fed to them as they would not store their own like vehicles.
All of this is irrelevant. It does not take skill to private message someone "aim more to the right and a little forward", nor does it take skill to feed ammo into something. You're missing the point. Teamwork is great, but some jackass with a pulse killing lot's people even though he's an inept moron simply because the game allows it via horrible vehicle designs is what I'm against. If the person pulling the trigger and getting the kills does not have anything more than pointing and clicking to do, we have a serious problem on our hands.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion