New Idea for a New Lancer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: MEDIC!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-05-25, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

New Idea for a New Lancer

Just discusing on IRC about this when an Idea poped into my head. What if you gave the Lancer a charge up time that based how much damage it did and ammo it uses (same idea as the spiker). You press and hold, the longer you hold the more ammo is consumed. THe more ammo used the stronger the bolt. It would take the same time to charge up a lancer to full as it does for the present one to fire all six shots minus the first charge of the first shot. The lancer can also be fired immediatly (just press the button and with no charge it fires) although there is a waiting period for the next insta shot.
Old 2004-05-25, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

I'm not keen on the idea of getting hit by 6 lancer shots at the same time. I mean yeah the damage over time will remain the same, but the difference will be that you can take a MAX down completely by suprise, and hide until you can pop out and hit something with all 6 shots before going back into hiding.

I'm pretty sure the Vanu would love it though
Old 2004-05-25, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Thats the point though. The thing would benefit from that. Maybe if you made it so they had to hold still while charging also the bolt is more distinct like that of a bolt driver.
Old 2004-05-25, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

sounds good to me. I mean i think all Vanu weapons should have an Alternative mode.

That's what Versatility is all about, the ability to change modes to adapt to a given situation.

At the moment the only true versatile weapon that encompass the Vanu philosophy is the Pulsar and Beamer.
The former being a very good example of how it does under combat.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-05-25, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Lartnev
I'm not keen on the idea of getting hit by 6 lancer shots at the same time. I mean yeah the damage over time will remain the same, but the difference will be that you can take a MAX down completely by suprise, and hide until you can pop out and hit something with all 6 shots before going back into hiding.
Yeah and who would want an empire to have an AV weapon where the infantry unit could hide behind a rock and then fire it.....oh wait, the nc already have that, guess that would just leave the tr to have an AV weapon that would, I don't know, chase a target down by locking in on it and everyone could use their AV from relatively safe cover
Old 2004-05-25, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I don'e see much a a problem with it, if the damage abilitys remainded roughly the same, except for maybee a fully charged 6shot that would insta-gib a max

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-05-25, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Radaeron
Sergeant

i suppose its a fairly nice idea...
but maybe you could have it so the more you charge it up the less accurate it becomes... it would be a bit unfair for a long range high charge gun to be able to take out a tank or something.

if you did that.. you should have to improve striker...
the git keeps losing the lock and failing to gain a lock and missiles losing its target when its right in front of it... /end rant before i go on about it.
Old 2004-05-25, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Majik
Yeah and who would want an empire to have an AV weapon where the infantry unit could hide behind a rock and then fire it.....oh wait, the nc already have thatt
1)The power of 6 lancer shots is greater than that of a single pheonix
2)You can't move while guiding your missile making you sniper/infil bait
3)It takes time to reach long distance targets. The lancer, whilst isn't instantaneous, is pretty quick.

I'm just warey about giving such a weapon to anyone.
Old 2004-05-25, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MYcrimsonTEARS
Corporal

i would say no, only due to the fact that this still would not give it any AA
Old 2004-05-25, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Actually, I think it would improve the AA a little bit. Since you could time your single powerful shot rather than keep adjusting for each smaller shot.

If this charge up has no delay between trigger release and the bolt firing, I think it would make quite a good AA weapon.
Old 2004-05-25, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
scarpas
Captain

Yeah and who would want an empire to have an AV weapon where the infantry unit could hide behind a rock and then fire it.....oh wait, the nc already have that, guess that would just leave the tr to have an AV weapon that would, I don't know, chase a target down by locking in on it and everyone could use their AV from relatively safe cover

Old 2004-05-26, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
At the moment the only true versatile weapon that encompass the Vanu philosophy is the Pulsar and Beamer.
This is not true. The Lasher is AV and AI if you didn't know. The Quaser has two firing modes, the Comet is a bitch against infantry and vhel alike and the starfire is rule against aircraft, I don't know about AV.

Old 2004-05-26, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Fully charged shot would instantly kill infantry too. I think I had my fill of lancer snipers already.
Old 2004-05-26, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChewyLSB
Major

Misc Info

^^ That's the main problem I was thinking. I believe six Lancer shots kill a Rexo, and right now it can be used as Anti-Infantry (look at that! Vanu versatility!), so a fully charged lancer could one-shot an infantry.

Last edited by ChewyLSB; 2004-05-26 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2004-05-26, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
AltaEgo
Staff Sergeant

The TR? Not likely. For a start, your damn lucky if it even locks. And secondly, you have to keep your reticule on the target for it to hit, and even then it can mess up. So no, 90% of the time you're always an available target on the field.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion