Vanu shotguns with slugs are just flat out better than TR and NC. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beta tested, player approved!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-30, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Vanu shotguns with slugs are just flat out better than TR and NC.

This was an issue since the beginning but back in the summer it became worse not better and it hasnt changed.

NC and TR shotguns have extreme drop. Vanu dont.

Yes Vanu have lower velocity - but the situations where long range shooting works well(since you need to make 3 hits) are stationary targets, so the velocity doesnt really matter.

This allows Vanu Light Assault playstyle that is much less viable as TR or NC.
Old 2013-11-30, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Re: Vanu shotguns with slugs are just flat out better than TR and NC.

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
This was an issue since the beginning but back in the summer it became worse not better and it hasnt changed.

NC and TR shotguns have extreme drop. Vanu dont.

Yes Vanu have lower velocity - but the situations where long range shooting works well(since you need to make 3 hits) are stationary targets, so the velocity doesnt really matter.

This allows Vanu Light Assault playstyle that is much less viable as TR or NC.
Running out of things to whine about?

Ffs, only difference in the shotguns that i've seen is that NC ones hit a bit harder.. or so it feels atleast.

EDIT: For the record, i haven't played with my main for few weeks now, i needed a change so i've been ranking up my TR character. I haven't found the gameplay any different apart for some obvious things (Striker, Vulcan, Minigun, Prowler etc). I bought the Uppercut just out of interest, and it's just as shitty as the VS pump-action i have, forgot its name.

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-11-30 at 02:07 PM.
Old 2013-11-30, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Plaqueis View Post

Ffs, only difference in the shotguns that i've seen is that NC ones hit a bit harder.. or so it feels atleast.

EDIT: For the record, i haven't played with my main for few weeks now, i needed a change so i've been ranking up my TR character. I haven't found the gameplay any different apart for some obvious things (Striker, Vulcan, Minigun, Prowler etc). I bought the Uppercut just out of interest, and it's just as shitty as the VS pump-action i have, forgot its name.
No, you tote.

The standard shotguns are essentially all identical except for one simple fact:

VS shotguns with slugs do not have bullet drop. Ergo, they are dramatically more effective... in fact, they are actually USABLE as a semi-auto rifle, albeit a tad short-ranged.

What's gained out of this is essentially a weapon that the NC and TR do not have. Does it make a difference in balance? Right now it doesn't so I'm fine with the way it is.
Old 2013-11-30, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Yeah it's really not that big of a deal, you can use the NC and TR variants for the same thing if you oh I don't know, account for bullet drop? The thing you have to do with every weapon anyhow on NC and TR.
Old 2013-11-30, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
No, you tote.

The standard shotguns are essentially all identical except for one simple fact:

VS shotguns with slugs do not have bullet drop. Ergo, they are dramatically more effective... in fact, they are actually USABLE as a semi-auto rifle, albeit a tad short-ranged.

What's gained out of this is essentially a weapon that the NC and TR do not have. Does it make a difference in balance? Right now it doesn't so I'm fine with the way it is.
Lol whatever, this is so trivial and anything but 'dramatic'.. i bet that nobody (well, except maybe the 3 players actually using shotguns at any kind of range) would even notice if they removed the VS slugs all together from the game. I mean, my deaths to shotguns in general are likely way less than 1%, and not once do i recall dying to shotgun from anything but pointblank range. Granted, i've only played since the release, but still, i have quite alot of game time.

I do agree on the balance though, it means absolutely nothing regarding to it.

Last edited by Plaqueis; 2013-11-30 at 02:45 PM.
Old 2013-11-30, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
Yeah it's really not that big of a deal, you can use the NC and TR variants for the same thing if you oh I don't know, account for bullet drop? The thing you have to do with every weapon anyhow on NC and TR.
Can't say about NC weapons, but i haven't found TR guns all that different, except maybe Hailstorm with silencer (seems to have slightly more drop than the Sirius with same setup). In fact, i found the Rams .50 way easier to shoot and hit than Parallax, just for example.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Plaqueis View Post

Go away. If you dont play the game enough or well enough to understand how the weapons work you have no business griping about the people who do understand when they talk about it. When you make counter arguments that include factual mistakes you look like a <moderated.>
Old 2013-11-30, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
Wrong.

Im guessing you dont spend time using slugs to snipe with light assaults.

When you have to make 3(or maybe 2 head shots and a body shot) head shots to kill someone at 100 meters with a slow firing gun it matters.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Go away. If you dont play the game enough or well enough to understand how the weapons work you have no business griping about the people who do understand when they talk about it. When you make counter arguments that include factual mistakes you look like a <moderated.>
Bleh.. i'm just tired of people whining about stuf like this when there's so many things wrong in game that have actual effect on gaming experience in general. In that context, shit like this means nothing whatsoever. Kinda like the apparently upcoming sniper range cap; absolutely pointless nerf, except that it isn't even needed. If anything, they need a buff.

The shotguns are just fine as they are. If there's some fine tuning needed, it surely is way way down on the the 'things needing a fix'-list.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I don't see the issue, by that I mean I don't think it's an actual issue ingame since so few people seem to use slugs or they are otherwise so ineffective compared to other medium/long range choices that it doesn't really matter.
It's obvious that the VS shotguns are superior in this respect, but I don't think it has any real consequence balance wise.

I also don't see a reason for such hostility.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I don't see the issue, by that I mean I don't think it's an actual issue ingame since so few people seem to use slugs or they are otherwise so ineffective compared to other medium/long range choices that it doesn't really matter.
It's obvious that the VS shotguns are superior in this respect, but I don't think it has any real consequence balance wise.

^This.

Use the shotgun as CQB weapon as it's supposed to, and there's no difference whatsoever in them afaik. My statement about the NC ones are based on 'feel' just like i said on the earlier post, i don't know why that is. Maybe NC just uses them more or something, i dunno.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Are slugs affected by bloom and first shot recoil modifiers (and/or anything else)?
Old 2013-11-30, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post

I have 1000s of kills with NC slugs(mostly from back before the slug nerfs). It matters to me.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Are slugs affected by bloom and first shot recoil modifiers (and/or anything else)?
Yes you have to let the sights "settle" if you want accurate follow up shots. Im not sure the the first shot recoil is more than the second shot but its a moot point because you have to wait for the bloom either way.
Old 2013-11-30, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Bloom, yes. First shot recoil modifier, no idea.

I have 1000s of kills with NC slugs(mostly from back before the slug nerfs). It matters to me.
Naturally it matters to you, didn't state otherwise. I just don't see the big issue myself though, which just comes down to not using them myself. So I'll give yah that.
The "no drop" benefit is vanu specific so I guess the only way to bring the NC/TR in line with the VS would be to reduce the drop to such an extent that it no longer really matters.
I think slugs were more of an afterthought when it came to giving the shotgun longer range capabilities.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-11-30 at 04:15 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion