How long will PS be "cool" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If you can read this you havn't been playing PS for more than 8 hours.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-05, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CorDharel
Corporal

How long will PS be "cool"

How long do you think people will play PS?

How long do you think you will play?

I mean this question related for example to these cs clans. CS is not "in" anymore, but there are lots of people still playing it.

I mean PS should stay cool for many years cause it's an MMORPG and the devs are always implementing new thingies.

What do you think?
Old 2004-04-05, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Fragmatic
I LIVE IN ENGLAND

Wrong forum.... and it's not an MMORPG, its an MMOFPS
[Hezzy]: gg
Old 2004-04-05, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Even is PS does survive, it wont be the same game I started playing in beta...

Old 2004-04-05, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Indecisive
Major General

a. Wrong forum
b. PS was originally designed to be a MMORPGFPS .. FPS with RPG elements...which it is..just not as much so as you would think
c. Planetside will be going down the shitter pretty quick unless they hurry up and figure out their new coding system so they can implement new base layouts.
Old 2004-04-05, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

c. Planetside will be going down the shitter pretty quick unless they hurry up and figure out their new coding system so they can implement new base layouts.
harsh
Old 2004-04-05, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Cryptica
First Sergeant

I think that PS will stay popular for another few years. Maybe 2 or 3. The reason I say this is that yes, the devs work hard at updating it and they do a great job. (despite all the grumbling going on here.) However, I do believe that in the next couple years someone (maybe even SOE itself) will come out with a better game. It's just the way it works. Unless SOE totally revamps PS with updated graphics, coding, and gives it fresh new ideas and concepts, it will fall behind.
Having said that, I would like to also say that I love PS, I've never played anything nearly as cool (except maybe Kingdom Hearts...but that's a different story.) I only say it will die out because that's how the video game world works. Nothing stays at the top for very long.
Old 2004-04-05, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Ack. I think Kingdom Hearts sucked. Disney movies don't make good video games IMHO. The only part of I really liked was Halloween Town... that was pretty cool. But the other boards... ugh.

As for PlanetSide, yes it will fall behind eventually, but if you think about it, it really is a one-of-a-kind game. There arent any other TRUE MMOFPS. Sure, there are other online FPS, but they only support 64 people per map (and the maps themselves are also much smaller), not the many hundreds of people on massive continents like PlanetSide offers. Because of this, I think that PlanetSide has plenty of life left in it. Its graphics will become outdated, but as long as it is continually updated by the Devs and is the only real MMOFPS out there, it will most likely maintain a decent population.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2004-04-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2004-04-05, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
CorDharel
Corporal

OMG HE SAYS MMORPG INSTEAD OF MMOFPS SHOOT HIM

I am sorry. Also that I started the thread in the wrong area. It's monday, I did a lot of mistakes today like that. You can shoot at me if you want to. :P

I think in an MMOFPS you can think that it's not the same when it's not beta anymore. But that's not the point in this discussion. I also think the devs are doing well. The game is running well, too. I never go to the official forums because there are too many people. That's a good sign IMO

The bad fact: You cannot create mods for PS. That has some disadvantages.

But if I think about this: You cannot create mods... and you also don't have to, cause the devs are doing this work
Old 2004-04-05, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
flypengy
Master Sergeant

Not harsh, dumb. Why would people decide to stay or leave because they're changing base layouts? Like the counterstrike example... people play the same maps over and over and over... and they still play to this day.
Old 2004-04-05, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by flypengy
Not harsh, dumb. Why would people decide to stay or leave because they're changing base layouts? Like the counterstrike example... people play the same maps over and over and over... and they still play to this day.
/agreed

They just need to fix the graphics and code.

Old 2004-04-05, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Well, a graphics buff (rebuff to be specific) is coming with the next patch, and the Devs have said that they are working on an updated patcher that will allow them to modify the map and buildings without requiring us to redownload the whole thing (which is a couple hundred megs). The only problem is, you cannot release a buggy patcher. Release a buggy patch program that doesn't work on even a FEW computers, and you've screwed the players. They won't be able to download a patch to fix it! So, if they take a while on the patcher upgrade, its because the Devs need to be ABSOLUTELY certain that it is 100% bug free.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2004-04-05, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well if the autopatcher doesnt work right, there is a nifty thing called FTP...

Old 2004-04-05, 12:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't care how good the graphics are if im still getting bad fps, and ping and lots of nasty bugs. Fix the coding is the first step, then content, then graphics. That should make it last abit longer....

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-04-05, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
SuperBallz
Corporal

Originally Posted by CorDharel
I mean this question related for example to these cs clans. CS is not "in" anymore, but there are lots of people still playing it.

CS Has Owned For Years PlanetSide Won't Come Close, Like Said Before Some Changes Are Made.

Half-Life Is Old But One Of The Best Engines Ever Made. IMHO

Counter-Strike:Global Coming Soon MMOFPS.

CS Respond To Areas Around The World To Crush The Top Terrorist Threats.

Boooong

Based On HL2 Engine
Old 2004-04-05, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kikinchikin

Most of the veterans will be gone by the end of summer IMO. The game will still have a playerbase for another year maybe a year in a half if its lucky.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion