Griefing Costing Resources - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: People don't kill people, lasers kill people.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-14, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PredatorFour
Major

Griefing Costing Resources

We have seen in the video`s that team killing is in the game but does anyone know if it will cost you rescources?? Say if you bought a tank and a friendly blew it up would them resources be gone?? I just had a terrible thought that with the game being f2p it could encourage trolls to do things like this if it does take your rescources. My mind needs to be put at ease lol
Old 2012-07-14, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Actor
Private

Re: Griefing Costing Resources

While I was at the community event I was team killed a few times. One of the reps/admins/PR guys noticed this and told me that they are looking at different ways to punish people that keep doing that. They just want to make sure that they don't ruin the game by being too tough on people. It's a fine line that they have to walk, but I feel confident that they will nail it!
Old 2012-07-14, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Lythca Frost
Private

I like this idea,

It could probably be implemented in a reasonable way as one of a couple griefing deterrents. Perhaps you lose resources equivalent to the cost of his gear/vehicle times the fraction of the amount of damage you inflicted upon him.

Thus, if you accidentally hit a friendly while shooting over their shoulder, you are not drained too much, however, if you are being careless and hit him with your shotgun, it costs you more.
Old 2012-07-14, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Braveliltoaster
Staff Sergeant

I liked the planetside 1 way to combat griefing it seemed effective
Old 2012-07-14, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Comet
First Sergeant

Agreed it's a fine line. Accidents are going to happen and you might catch a rocket from a HA that is actually trying to help you in your tank battle, or that Liberator might accidentally smash a few infantry with its cannon by accident during a gun-run.

For those tards just running around doing it on purpose though... that's different. In all honesty, I'm not sure what a fair solution is that finds a good middle-ground.
Old 2012-07-14, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Accuser
Sergeant Major

That's actually a really good idea for vehicles at least. If you buy an expensive Galaxy or Sunderer and some a**hole on your team C4s it, you should get those resources from him.

I think you would need something extra for infantry grief though. Rambos aren't going to care about losing just a few resources by hitting someone, and we don't want to jack up the resource transfer or trolls would just jump out in front of people's fire to steal from them.
Old 2012-07-14, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lythca Frost
Private

The most effective solution would probably be multifaceted. Something like this might do good to prevent jerks from intentionally wasting other friendlies resources, complimenting the old planetside system.
Old 2012-07-14, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Comet
First Sergeant

The thing that worries is me about the PS1 system is I heard that if you accidentally kill a friendly, you're more or less locked out for 10 minutes and useless. Like a res sickness effect from an MMORPG. 10 minutes is way too harsh IMO for a first offence.

As I said before, accidents are going to happen in huge chaotic battles and it's not fair to eliminate a player for 10 minutes because of a genuine mistake.

Disregard this if the first friendly kill is not 10 minutes, I just remember reading that in a previous post about this topic and PS1. Also, I've never played PS1
Old 2012-07-14, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I love how so many people worry about team killing and punishing people who do damage to others BUT they always forget about retards.

That retards going to run in front of your tank every 5 seconds.
That retards going to run over or try to run past your grenade red flashing thing or not.
That retard is going to try to sprint through a doorway your team is firing at to keep suppressed and be killed by someone on your team.

Then there will always be that guy who will grief you by running in front of you every time you try to fire your gun because he just wants to be a jackass and have you rack up team hurting points.

How are these people punished? I honestly think people should be punished more for being stupid then just hurting others.
Old 2012-07-14, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Comet View Post
The thing that worries is me about the PS1 system is I heard that if you accidentally kill a friendly, you're more or less locked out for 10 minutes and useless. Like a res sickness effect from an MMORPG. 10 minutes is way too harsh IMO for a first offence.

As I said before, accidents are going to happen in huge chaotic battles and it's not fair to eliminate a player for 10 minutes because of a genuine mistake.

Disregard this if the first friendly kill is not 10 minutes, I just remember reading that in a previous post about this topic and PS1. Also, I've never played PS1
PS1's grief point system was hardly that punishing... you have to kill multiple friendlies to stack up that kind of grief (infantry TK was around 100pts or so out of the thousand+ required to get locked) or alternatively grenade spam into a large group of friendlies.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-14, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

It's a totally simple fix! Make the machine do the thinky work, but basically the higher your grief counter, the more resources you pay for shooting a friendly.

People like me who spam thumper rounds know that by about 350 grief you're starting to look like a dick. So you set that level as 100% reimbursement. Anything over that and you get lockouts, reduced movement, banned from vehicles, banned from weapons, then just banned. If your grief level is like 50, then you pay nothing and a scale up from there. Every 3 grief points is 1% of the resource cost.

So a dude in a sunderer packing full custom kit gets accidentally TKd by a lib. no charge, bad luck, war is hell, you were in the wrong place, whatever. Lib grief goes up to about 50 points.

Same lib does it 5 times in 2 minutes - all of a sudden the lib bomber goes into massive debt (negative resources) and tank drivers are paid out 35%, then 50%, then 75% then 100% of the cost of their gear.

Lib pilot gets punished but tank driver doesn't make money otherwise exploits.
Old 2012-07-14, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
fb III IX ca IV
Corporal

Why not an easy way to report these greifers while still in game? (Because most people will not take the time to go to the website and fill out a form there, they may not even remember the username) Of course, those submitting false reports would be dealt with too.
Old 2012-07-14, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

Costing people for team killing won't do anything to stop intentional griefers. If they're doing it on purpose they don't give a shit, so costing them stuff they don't care about will do nothing to stop them from doing it. However, it will help keep them from picking up vehicles to help them do it.

I think it can work well if it's coupled with other forms of punishment that are more meaningful and act to directly block the person from continuing their activity.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Mr DeCastellac
First Sergeant

Rather than just deleting your resources when you damage another player, it should send your resources to them, proportional to how much damage you do and if you are a repeat offender.

That way if you spend 100 auraxium on a tank and a friendly blows it up, they would lose resources as punishment, and you would get some or all of your money back.

And it would scale up, so just shooting someone on accident might be 5 auraxium, but if you keep hitting them it would start costing more and more each time you hit them (sort of like in PS1).
*plink* -5!
*plink plink* -7, -10!
*BOOM* -50!
Old 2012-07-15, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ninjacalypse
Corporal

True. Reverse Teamkilling (i.e. getting yourself TK'd intentionally) would be a valid issue if TK consequences are too steep.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion