MAXs and regen / repair - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Making you wet your self since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-23, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

MAXs and regen / repair

So I've watched a fair few gameplay footage videos which have included MAX units.

I have a fair number of thoughts which I'm going to reserve judgement on until beta, however, I have seen some differences in terms of regen / repair.

In the E3 footage, there were a few instances where, after not taking damage for 20-30 secs, the MAX armour would self-repair very slowly.

The regen was pretty slow, definitely not enough to imbalance combat itself, certainly not replacing a good engineer on standby but seemed to be pretty spot on to reward a careful MAX user and to help keep you going with the very fast pace of PS2.

In addition, the combination of only a single class able to repair you with common small arms (carried by all classes) dealing significant damage to MAXs (rather than only AV weapons as per PS1), I'd personally like to see the E3 regen make a return (at the very least as a MAX special option).

In the recent tech test streams, the regen seems to have gone leaving the class very dependant on others again.

Like other infantry classes, I think the MAX needs an armour bar (which incidently needs a colour other than green to separate it from the health bar) that slowly regens as per E3 and a health bar which doesn't.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MasterMind
Private

Misc Info
Re: MAXs and regen / repair

regen is the devil
Old 2012-07-23, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TerminatorUK View Post
In the recent tech test streams, the regen seems to have gone leaving the class very dependant on others again.
Are you sure it's not just a lack of Certs/mods/implants on that specific character?

For example the auto-repair on vehicles is a mod that may not be taken by some players (preferring other alternatives in the slot or just not having the Cert yet).
Old 2012-07-23, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Not enough infos on this. Need more infos to comment. Oh, wait, I commented anyway. Oh well.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Flaropri View Post
Are you sure it's not just a lack of Certs/mods/implants on that specific character?

For example the auto-repair on vehicles is a mod that may not be taken by some players (preferring other alternatives in the slot or just not having the Cert yet).
Well you might indeed be right - pure speculation from me at the moment.

I'd like to think that it was a cert / option etc...
Old 2012-07-23, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

You're spot on. There needs to be a universal regeneration for all classes that does not influence combat, but allow players to keep the pace going.

30-40 out of combat before it kicks in, and at a rate of about 12 seconds to get 100% for softies, 15 seconds for HA and 35 seconds for MAX. ... or something like that.

If there is no regeneration, I think it will severely slow down the game, since players who have low health will be extremely careful, regardless of how much they care about Kr - because people don't want to waste their time.

The worst case scenario is that players with very low health, who are within running distance of the nearest objective, would rather commit suicide than to keep going.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
You're spot on. There needs to be a universal regeneration for all classes that does not influence combat, but allow players to keep the pace going.

30-40 out of combat before it kicks in, and at a rate of about 12 seconds to get 100% for softies, 15 seconds for HA and 35 seconds for MAX. ... or something like that.

If there is no regeneration, I think it will severely slow down the game, since players who have low health will be extremely careful, regardless of how much they care about Kr - because people don't want to waste their time.

The worst case scenario is that players with very low health, who are within running distance of the nearest objective, would rather commit suicide than to keep going.
Excellent - couldn't have said it better myself; this is exactly what I meant.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

From what i saw of the gameplay video's infanty already have health and armor/shields. Armor/Shields seems to regenerate on it's own. health does not. Regenerating shields are bad enough and we do not need Regenerating health as well
Old 2012-07-23, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ranik Ortega View Post
From what i saw of the gameplay video's infanty already have health and armor/shields. Armor/Shields seems to regenerate on it's own. health does not. Regenerating shields are bad enough and we do not need Regenerating health as well
There is regenerating health, but it takes some time to kick in, and that timer probably resets whenever one fires their weapon or takes a hit, even to their shield.

Considering respawn times and the absolute abundance of spawn points (not counting the galaxies or squad spawning) waiting for health regen one may as well have been killed and returned to the battle. Only now they don't have a full stock of ammo (unless they're an engineer.) To look at it another way, the player could have just as easily popped out a medical applicator and nano dispenser like in PS1, only they're allowed to remain mobile and armed.

Coincidentally, you won't notice your enemies nor allies HP regening after an eternity in FPS terms, and you'll certainly be glad it comes back with no medic support nearby but also, no combat for a while. Essentially, people that intentionally wait for regen might as well be dead anyway. A medic will always be better to keep nearby.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
There is regenerating health, but it takes some time to kick in, and that timer probably resets whenever one fires their weapon or takes a hit, even to their shield.

Considering respawn times and the absolute abundance of spawn points (not counting the galaxies or squad spawning) waiting for health regen one may as well have been killed and returned to the battle. Only now they don't have a full stock of ammo (unless they're an engineer.) To look at it another way, the player could have just as easily popped out a medical applicator and nano dispenser like in PS1, only they're allowed to remain mobile and armed.

Coincidentally, you won't notice your enemies nor allies HP regening after an eternity in FPS terms, and you'll certainly be glad it comes back with no medic support nearby but also, no combat for a while. Essentially, people that intentionally wait for regen might as well be dead anyway. A medic will always be better to keep nearby.
Considering it's something that reduces teamwork and favors soloing then it's already out of place in PS2. I can see one or the other regenerating but not both. And with the shorter TTK having someone who is injured acting as backup for someone not injured is still an effective teammate

EVEN THEN. Max suits are one of those things which SHOULD be somewhat dependent on others. Otherwise they may be too powerful.

Last edited by Ranik Ortega; 2012-07-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nolerhn
Corporal

So, has the ammo crate been changed to engineer then? If so, I'm kind of disappointed, I was rather looking forward to jumping over walls to deliver ammo to my team haha.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Considering it's something that reduces teamwork and favors soloing then it's already out of place in PS2. I can see one or the other regenerating but not both. And with the shorter TTK having someone who is injured acting as backup for someone not injured is still an effective teammate

EVEN THEN. Max suits are one of those things which SHOULD be somewhat dependent on others. Otherwise they may be too powerful.
You can take down MAX suits with an assault rifle. Well, to be fair you could before, people just refused to focus fire and opted instead to run around like pansies. Now it's just much easier.

I don't see this as game breaking. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't care what the guy's name is, I see my enemy, I shoot to kill. I don't concern myself with whether or not he took a moment to smoke a cig while the nanites in his blood stream worked on him.

*Pulls the wait for beta card.* Trust me, you simply won't realize people are sitting around regening unless they're on your team, and you'll want them to be at 100% combat operational status anyway. Medics are good to have on the team. Team oriented players will WANT them on the team. Non-team oriented players aren't likely to team up. The in field resurrections alone make them invaluable. Full hp/shields on revive from what we've seen, and the time it takes for them to pick one up off the ground is much shorter than it is for one to find a hole and wait for their hp to recover, while lacking ammo. The guy with the medic probably has an engineer in his squad too.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

You can take down MAX suits with an assault rifle. Well, to be fair you could before, people just refused to focus fire and opted instead to run around like pansies. Now it's just much easier.

I don't see this as game breaking. Out of sight, out of mind. I don't care what the guy's name is, I see my enemy, I shoot to kill. I don't concern myself with whether or not he took a moment to smoke a cig while the nanites in his blood stream worked on him.

*Pulls the wait for beta card.* Trust me, you simply won't realize people are sitting around regening unless they're on your team, and you'll want them to be at 100% combat operational status anyway. Medics are good to have on the team. Team oriented players will WANT them on the team. Non-team oriented players aren't likely to team up. The in field resurrections alone make them invaluable. Full hp/shields on revive from what we've seen, and the time it takes for them to pick one up off the ground is much shorter than it is for one to find a hole and wait for their hp to recover, while lacking ammo. The guy with the medic probably has an engineer in his squad too.
If you have to rely on wait for beta as an argument then you have little argument at all. Like i said one regenerating and one not is probably the best compromise for team play. Not both. Hell i know medics can heal and revive but i'm not even sure what engineers do at the moment other than drop turrets.

Edit: The problem i'm genuinly worried about is the fact that with regenerating health/armor. It's often treated as something that works very quickly in most modern FPS. And with the influx of F2P players we may see this become a shorter and shorter duration ability due to them wanting PS2 to change and be more like whatever. I can see few modern FPS players being satisfied with 30-45 seconds of waiting and then 20 seconds of actual regenerating. If only because they played so many games where it was common and very quick.

Last edited by Ranik Ortega; 2012-07-23 at 04:27 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Littleman
First Lieutenant

If you have to rely on wait for beta as an argument then you have little argument at all. Like i said one regenerating and one not is probably the best compromise for team play. Not both. Hell i know medics can heal and revive but i'm not even sure what engineers do at the moment other than drop turrets.

Edit: The problem i'm genuinly worried about is the fact that with regenerating health/armor. It's often treated as something that works very quickly in most modern FPS. And with the influx of F2P players we may see this become a shorter and shorter duration ability due to them wanting PS2 to change and be more like whatever. I can see few modern FPS players being satisfied with 30-45 seconds of waiting and then 20 seconds of actual regenerating. If only because they played so many games where it was common and very quick.
"Wait for beta" is more of an argument than anything someone with no experience can say. You don't get to debunk it with mere beliefs. You're imagining worst case scenarios precisely because you're afraid of the worst case scenario and don't know any better without first hand experience.

Reference Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Reach for shields on top of health. I know people like to think the modern gen crowd that populates CoD and BF is full of window lickers, but I'm pretty confident the average player can figure out shields and health are separate. Health regen will be a nice surprise, and it might be a cert. Ever think of that?

Yet PS2's regen system is more like Halo 2, 3, and CoD/BF, only the first half regens quickly after a short duration, and the second half takes some time to get started.

Finally, SOE will balance it how they see fit, not to a bunch of whiners that think it should be faster, much less remove it for the other extreme that hasn't even access to the game.

Again, wait for beta. You may as well be telling people the Pulsar is underpowered right now.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-07-23 at 04:48 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

"Wait for beta" is more of an argument than anything someone with no experience can say. You don't get to debunk it with mere beliefs. You're imagining worst case scenarios precisely because you're afraid of the worst case scenario and don't know any better without first hand experience.

Reference Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Reach for shields on top of health. I know people like to think the modern gen crowd that populates CoD and BF is full of window lickers, but I'm pretty confident the average player can figure out shields and health are separate. Health regen will be a nice surprise, and it might be a cert. Ever think of that?

Yet PS2's regen system is more like Halo 2, 3, and CoD/BF, only the first half regens quickly after a short duration, and the second half takes some time to get started.

Finally, SOE will balance it how they see fit, not to a bunch of whiners that think it should be faster, much less remove it for the other extreme that hasn't even access to the game.

Again, wait for beta. You may as well be telling people the Pulsar is underpowered right now.
If it's a cert then eventually everyone will have it. If its a trade off for say lower armor then that's another thing. Coincidentally Halo 1 had the better health system lol And like i said one regenerating and one not still encourages teamplay better than one quick regen and the other slow regen. And since it's a F2P game it will be drawing a lot of the casual audience who have played games that feature little in the way of teamplay. The NDA breach video is a glaring example of PS2's potential audience. Unfortunately debating in game features before they hit beta is one of the key things to do before people get used to them in game. Once something has been in game nerfing/removing them is far harder to do.

Also do you genuinely think if a F2P game with a massive player base they somehow won't cater to their desired changes? You have more faith in the devs and F2P gamers than I do. And I have a considerable amount of faith in the devs at least. But this is still from the company that pulled the NGE on SWG. So there is considerable precedence for screwing games over for casuals.

Last edited by Ranik Ortega; 2012-07-23 at 05:02 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion