News: New Esamir Bases - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: anyone seen my BFR keys?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-24, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Raymondo
Private

FNO Esamir Changes

1 hour 18 min mark it starts
http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/407830628

SOE finally seem to get it!! we been asking for actual defensible bases like this for ages now

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-05-25 at 09:27 AM.
Old 2013-05-24, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: New Esamir Bases

http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/407830628
Starts around 1:18:00
Esamir changes are not on test yet:

Gigantic walls
Dome shields (can't shoot through except sniper, can move through, currently cannot be disabled) Seem to be at a lot of bases...They said they want vehicle play to be more focused on outpost to outpost combat and have infantry be the main focus on taking outposts.(Eisa w/ Dome shield @ 1:30:00ish) These are going to cause a lot of discussion. GET ON THE TEST WHEN THEY COME IN!
Base changes, Freyr Amp Station changes looked good IMO.
LLU's not planned out yet, have been discussed with how to implement them

Random: Said they cannot talk about Hossin, Searhus, or Oshur. - Open development at it's best.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-05-24 at 10:07 PM.
Old 2013-05-24, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
The three arms of a fight should counter each other in a rock-paper-scissors manner.

Air units counter ground vehicles, being used primarily to harass tank convoys and destroy sunderers that are either en route to a base or camping out around the edges. In turn, air units get countered by infantry, who can blow them out of the sky with either AA turrets (which should destroy ships fairly easily) or mass AA missile launcher fire (which individually should not pose a threat for aircraft, but when combined in mass volleys should be enough to be lethal). In turn, infantry get murdered by tanks, which are used to bombard buildings, fight other tanks or suppress infantry mobs. Tanks get countered by aircraft, and the cycle continues.

In this manner, you force each facet of the game to have a specific role. Aircraft are king on the open road, in-between bases, but can't mercilessly farm bases by hovering around them due to how easily a base's anti-air can trash them. So in order to bring aircraft near a base, you need masses of infantry to storm the base first, and "silence the guns", so to speak. The infantry make it to the base alive by virtue of having tanks that transport and cover them via bombarding a base and dueling any tanks that are defending it. Once infantry reach the base, they can engage the infantry inside of it, and shut down the various important systems within it.
And people say SOE doesn't listen to us.

- - - -

In any case, those bases look so fun to play. All that damn cover, dem walls. The low TTK of the game will feel a lot more justified once there's an assload of cover.

Now that we have these awesome new infantry-only sections though, we're quickly approaching the point where it's time to buff the vehicles (either through direct buffs to them or nerfs to other things) and make them feel more like vehicles, I.E. durable, very powerful etc.

Last edited by BlaxicanX; 2013-05-24 at 10:39 PM.
Old 2013-05-24, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Osskscosco
Corporal

Walls!!!
Old 2013-05-24, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

There's gonna be some long infantry battles

Old 2013-05-25, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sunrock
Major

Infantry should not have to worry about vehicles?!?!?! What the hell, is this COD? What makes this game so fun to play is the mix of infantry and vehicles.

The dome shields over the bases have to go away. Bio Labs are where the infantry only fight should be. Don't make every fucking base into a Bio Lab.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-25 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language!
Old 2013-05-25, 03:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Time to cert more into MAX!
Old 2013-05-25, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Infantry should not have to worry about vehicles?!?!?! What the hell, is this COD? What makes this game so fun to play is the mix of infantry and vehicles.

The dome shields over the bases have to go away. Bio Labs are where the infantry only fight should be. Don't make every fucking base into a Bio Lab.
But the Dev's clearly stated that only some of the bases on the continent would have the shields. Are you deaf?

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-25 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language from quote
Old 2013-05-25, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
But the Dev's clearly stated that only some of the bases on the continent would have the shields. Are you deaf?
I guess I am But still. Infantry should never be safe from vehicles outside of buildings. And now when infantry have allot of different ways to deal with vehicles I see no need to please all the pussy noobs that QQ over every thing.

Besides the Lib have been nerfed to the point that it's weapons are so week that using any other vehicle/tactic is way more efficient.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-05-25 at 03:36 AM.
Old 2013-05-25, 03:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

There is nothing fun about being camped by 20 anchored prowlers and hovering libs ready to blast you to pieces the moment you step out of the spawns. They want to recreate the battle flow from ps1 where air and vehicles were used for outdoor combat in between bases and the actual base assault itself to be more infantry focused.

In return this gives the devs a reason to potentially undo some of the nerfs to air and vehicles to make them more powerful since they can no longer farm infantry trying to defend a base and in turn it will make defense in general easier. In the end this could potentially be good for all involved.

My main concern is the distance between some of the bases does not promote as many opportunities for large open field combat. The lattice has helped with this somewhat but still if you have outpost that are a mere stones throw away why should I bother to pull a vehicle if I will be attacking the next base right away and vehicles cant contribute much? If they are going to go with this kind of battle flow they need to design conts with greater distance between bases to give more opportunities for open field combat to occur.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-25 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate language from quote
Old 2013-05-25, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by TheSaltySeagull View Post
There is nothing fun about being camped by 20 anchored prowlers and hovering libs ready to blast you to pieces .
20 infantry can camp the spawn room as easy or easier then any prowler or lib.
Old 2013-05-25, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

20 infantry can camp the spawn room as easy or easier then any prowler or lib.
Except you can actually break an infantry camp by max crashing and other tactics. Tanks up on a ridge line shooting down into a base are much more difficult to deal with.

Also if you are going to quote I would appreciate if you quoted all the points made and not cherry pick.
Old 2013-05-25, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by TheSaltySeagull View Post
Except you can actually break an infantry camp by max crashing and other tactics. Tanks up on a ridge line shooting down into a base are much more difficult to deal with.

Also if you are going to quote I would appreciate if you quoted all the points made and not cherry pick.
First of. I don't see way I should need to quite your entire post if I just want to comment on one part of it. Personally I hate people that quote a wall of text just go comment on a small part of it with one sentence. If people want to read what you say they should read your post. And I do not think I quoted that out of context.

What you do or.... a good option you have when you get spawn camped is to redeploy to an other base and then counter attack the spawn campers in the back with vehicles your self.

Also now with the new infantry weapons and abilities, like the new MAX anti-vehicle weapons, bursters and so on you can brake a vehicle sige too.

And if the infantry is a bunch of noobs or just a bunch of randoms that don't play as a squad/paltoon then yes it's posible to just MAX crash the camp. But any decent outfit would be able to deal with that as easily as any bunch of random vehicle camping the spawn room can. Because they can communicate the needs of the necessary mix of class setup of MAX'es engines medics and HA to prevent any MAX crash ever making it more then a few feet outside the spawn room.
Old 2013-05-25, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I welcome these changes. It's obviously going to be a balance act between making sure that vehicles don't decide infantry fights and vehicles becoming very limited in where they can be used.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-25, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

First of. I don't see way I should need to quite your entire post if I just want to comment on one part of it. Personally I hate people that quote a wall of text just go comment on a small part of it with one sentence. If people want to read what you say they should read your post. And I do not think I quoted that out of context.
Because it was actually relevant that is why. Placing the dome and walls is an attempt to make the bases more defensible and thus reduce situations where defenders get steam rolled and forced into a spawn camp. And thus the points made in my original post about increasing defense in general(which includes defense against infantry attack) make your comment about 20 infantry spawn camping vs tanks spawn camping redundant. Because the idea is to try and prevent excessive spawn camping period.

Also three short paragraphs is not a "wall of text" my friend.

What you do or.... a good option you have when you get spawn camped is to redeploy to an other base and then counter attack the spawn campers in the back with vehicles your self.
Or they could redesign the bases in a fashion so that spawn camping does not occur as often because you actually have a defensible perimeter.

Also now with the new infantry weapons and abilities, like the new MAX anti-vehicle weapons, bursters and so on you can brake a vehicle sige too.
And I also covered this in my original post. Now the bases are zoned out for infantry there is reason to push for making vehicles more powerful and reducing the number of AA and AV options available to infantry.

And if the infantry is a bunch of noobs or just a bunch of randoms that don't play as a squad/paltoon then yes it's posible to just MAX crash the camp. But any decent outfit would be able to deal with that as easily as any bunch of random vehicle camping the spawn room can. Because they can communicate the needs of the necessary mix of class setup of MAX'es engines medics and HA to prevent any MAX crash ever making it more then a few feet outside the spawn room.
That works both ways. If the people max crashing are organized then max crashes are very scary. For examples you can watch the BCP stream and see how effective 40+ organized max units can be.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion