[Idea] Faction specific sniper rifles (Higby!) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If we run you over, it wasn't our falt
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-26, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rasui
Sergeant

[Idea] Faction specific sniper rifles (Higby!)

The numbers need to be tweaked, so as not to invalidate the current sniper rifles or be too OP, but I believe the concepts are solid. They're designed to fit the overall themes of the factions. Those being, NC are stronger at close range and hit hard. TR are better at medium range and designed to put more shots downrange. And VS is all about long range precision.

NC: NC17 Heavy Rail Driver

Super heavy sniper rifle in the vein of the original PS1 BD. 1 hit kill to the chest at 50m or less. 1 hit kill to the head regardless of nanoweave rank at any range. Downside is that you have to reload after every shot. The reload should be 4-4.5 seconds and the total ammo count should be fairly low (20-25). Velocity should be lower then the Longshot, somewhere around 600m/s would be good. Consider allowing it to do significant damage to lightly armored vehicles.

TR: T35 Perforator

The ultimate in medium range sniping and suppression. The perforator is a bolt-action sniper rifle with dual barrels (Think PS1 Cycler stacked barrels) capable of firing two shots back to back before having to work the bolt. Essentially it's a sniper rifle version of the Prowler. Not the most powerful on a per-shot basis, but you can quickly compensate for the recoil and follow up to devastating effect. Damage should be slightly less than a one hit kill even on headshots except at extremely close range. Velocity should be 550m/s, on par with the default bolts. Ammo count should be high with 10 in the mag and 60 total shots.

VS: VX8 Parsec

The ultimate long range sniper rifle. The VX8 Parsec would feature instantaneous bullet travel with no drop. The downsides being that it has a charge mechanic on top of the breath hold mechanic, making it a high skill cap weapon. It also projects a visible beam of light while charging, making it unsuitable for short/medium range sniping if you want to live long. The charge time should be 2 seconds with a 1 second hold time. The damage should be on par with current bolt action rifles, same with the ammo pool.

Opinions and comments are welcome provided they're constructive.
Old 2013-05-26, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DarkBalths
Corporal

Re: [Idea] Faction specific sniper rifles (Higby!)

Snipers don't add anything to the game, from a team aspect. There's no reason to add more sniper rifles that kill you instantly. This would just make people even more paranoid when trying to aim at a target. It seems like no matter where you are, you can never EVER stand still to take a shot, because there's always a sniper somewhere trying to shoot you in the head. I feel like snipers make the game feel a lot more anxious and just make it less fun, because if you stop moving for a second, you're dead. Don't add to that by adding overpowered sniper rifles that kill instantly.
Old 2013-05-26, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AThreatToYou
Major

NC: NC17 Heavy Rail Driver

Super heavy sniper rifle in the vein of the original PS1 BD. 1 hit kill to the chest at 50m or less. 1 hit kill to the head regardless of nanoweave rank at any range. Downside is that you have to reload after every shot. The reload should be 4-4.5 seconds and the total ammo count should be fairly low (20-25). Velocity should be lower then the Longshot, somewhere around 600m/s would be good. Consider allowing it to do significant damage to lightly armored vehicles.
NO MORE 1HK'S.

I even play NC. Please no. I am all for anti-material rifles that reload after 1 shot, but no more 1hk weapons.

Also, no more snipers. Damn. Snipers.
I am against ES Snipers because a "sniper rifle" is generally a very specific type of weapon that has little options for utility attachments. Snipers are supposed to have spotters aside them who carry all the fancy gear, and a sniper rifle doesn't really do anything fancy other than shoot a fat bullet really far very accurately. They don't need to be empire specific.

I'm also against more snipers in general because I do not want to see more snipers in the game, period. They are unfun to fight against and do not contribute much to the game.

Last edited by AThreatToYou; 2013-05-26 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2013-05-26, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sifer2
Major

I agree the Bolt actions have already made the game annoying to play as Infantry when your Outdoors. You feel like you have to constantly strafe back an forth at all times or you WILL die instantly. Cause there is always, always, always some stupid Sniper there. I find them more annoying than Rocket Pods.

Anyway just scanning over the TC's ideas. The NC one would be abused indoors. Just like any weapon that can OHK in one shot always will be. Setting up in a hallway, or the upper area in the Tech Plant. Seems like dirt easy to get kills with it, and not much enemy could do to avoid death.

TR one seems pretty similar to what the Semi auto snipers already are lol. Makes me think you work for SOE.

And the Vanu one would be completely broken charge up or not. There would be so much rage if they added a weapon like that. Only other snipers would be able to really counter them. So every outdoor fight against Vanu would be Sniper vs Sniper.
Old 2013-05-26, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Assist
Contributor
Major

Agree with others here, no need for more sniper rifles. There's an abundance to choose from right now. More options / teamplay mechanics for the infiltrator would be great, but not more sniper rifles.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I think they should remove sniper rifles all together to make "snipers" do something for the team, so I'm not liking this.

And please stop trying to cripple vs with the awful charge weapons already.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Robert089
Sergeant

I actually really like the TR sniper idea, dual barrel bolt action, would love to see some concept art for that. Not so much the NC one, as AThreat says 1HKs especially to the chest would be pretty op. The VS one sounds decent to me but no one likes charge up mechanics.
Old 2013-05-26, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
OCNSethy
Major

Theres a lot of sniper hate here. I cant speak for other infiltrators but when I play Infil, I try and play an overwatch role during an inital attack and switch to base infiltrator once under way.

Who do you think is picking off the heavies with their rocket lauchers and countersniping other infils? Im watching your six.

Back to topic... I agree. We have very good sniper rifles ATM, I cant see myself swapping out my RAMS for those listed.
Old 2013-05-26, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Binkley
Sergeant

Great idea! I think this game needs more instant death with no means to avoid or retaliate. So please give us more sniper rifles. We know you guys listen to us players, after all, we got the the pump action shotguns that we all wanted. I'm sure they'll just be interesting side-grades to the current bolt-actions and that there will be intense testing so they won't be OP when introduced and won't require a nerf a few weeks later.
Old 2013-05-26, 10:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
TheSaltySeagull
Sergeant

Originally Posted by OCNSethy View Post
Theres a lot of sniper hate here. I cant speak for other infiltrators but when I play Infil, I try and play an overwatch role during an inital attack and switch to base infiltrator once under way.

Who do you think is picking off the heavies with their rocket lauchers and countersniping other infils? Im watching your six.

Back to topic... I agree. We have very good sniper rifles ATM, I cant see myself swapping out my RAMS for those listed.
Because since respawning is so fast and easy picking off individual troops is redundant and contributes little to the fight other than as an annoyance. You would contribute more by playing another class that can actually help push into a base and get another body on the point. Or pulling a vehicle or aircraft which gives you much better suppression capabilities. Sitting on a hill taking pot shots at people is largely irrelevant to the actual taking of a base in most cases.

And the only kind of new rifle that would ever need to be added would be an anti-material rifle that did good damage to vehicles and MAX units but reduced damage to infantry. We dont need more ways to OHK infantry.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
OCNSethy
Major

Originally Posted by TheSaltySeagull View Post
Because since respawning is so fast and easy picking off individual troops is redundant and contributes little to the fight other than as an annoyance. You would contribute more by playing another class that can actually help push into a base and get another body on the point. Or pulling a vehicle or aircraft which gives you much better suppression capabilities. Sitting on a hill taking pot shots at people is largely irrelevant to the actual taking of a base in most cases.

And the only kind of new rifle that would ever need to be added would be an anti-material rifle that did good damage to vehicles and MAX units but reduced damage to infantry. We dont need more ways to OHK infantry.
Dont presume to know my play style there Salty. If I can snipe an engie using an AV turrent, Im pretty sure thats not irrelevant to the tank driver he was shooting up.

Anyways, we derail... we both agree we dont need no more stinking sniper rifles

Who's idea where new sniper rifles anyway? I dont remember seeing anything directly from Higgies...
Old 2013-05-27, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Interesting ideas but the TR one you mention seems like it would be aweful.
Old 2013-05-27, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
NUKABAZOOKA
Sergeant

Snipers do not need a laser lightshow to give away their position.
Old 2013-05-27, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Snipers already add very little to the game (that's a point where I would start with improving snipers) and we surely don't need more one-hit-kill stuff.
Old 2013-05-27, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Don't they need to fix the NC's droopy barrel first

But really, no more sniper rifles.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion