Will Planetside Run on the following system?: - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Visiting this site won't leave your mouse sticky.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2003-04-22, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Spliffstar
Private

Will Planetside Run on the following system?:

I got my beta CD's in the mail yesterday and im anxious as hell to play, ive left my computer on for 10+ hours downloading this damn patch. Well i wanna know if the game will run OK with the following system, and if possible id like to know what kind of FPS i'll be gettin.. thnx:

Compaq
Intel Celeron CPU 1300mhz
1.29 ghz
256MB RAM
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro 32MB
56k connection
Old 2003-04-22, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Cyanide
Major

Probably not. If it does it will be on the lowest settings possible and you'll still get low frame rates.

Get more ram and a new video card. The more ram the better when it comes to gaming.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SpaceDrake
Master Sergeant

Re: Will Planetside Run on the following system?:

Originally posted by Spliffstar

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro 32MB
That part in particular will kill you. No hardware T&L, ergo no PlanetSide.

However, that whole system is crap. Compaq in general puts a little piece of Satan into every one of their machines, and it looks rather old in and of itself. I do think it's time for an upgrade fully.
Old 2003-04-22, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cyanide
Major

Oh, woops, didn't notice that it was Compaq. Yeah, time for a whole new computer. Toss that thing out the window (preferably of a moving vehicle) and get a new computer (Anything but a compaq or HP).
Old 2003-04-22, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Mydis
Corporal

Originally posted by Cyanide
(Anything but a compaq or HP).
Might want to lengthen that list (says the man with the Emachines).
Old 2003-04-23, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

If you want suggestions on upgrades, check out Mydis's thread. I offered some suggestions on his system that will probably help you out as well. If you can't build it yourself, find a friend to do it. Either that or if you live around Albany, NY I can build it for ya.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2003-04-23, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Spliffstar
Private

thanks for the advice but this Compaq is whut im stuck with. I don't have thousands of dollars to dish out for a new computer. All I use it for is to get mp3's anywayz.. and hopefully play planetside.

well anywayz the download finished last night and when i tried to play it said some error about Direct3d, so im gunna have to get a new video card. Heres my next question: will a Voodoo3 3000 work? thats what i have on my older computer and i know it has direct3d.

Also: if I buy 256 more RAM, a Radeon 9500 video card, and a cable connection, will the game run decent?

thnx
Old 2003-04-23, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Cyanide
Major

The voodoo3 will not work either.

If you got 256 more mb of ram, a 9500 card, and a cable connection it would probably run ok. Ram is dirt cheap though so if you have enough free slots you should get 512mb ( imagine your motherboard only supports upto PC133 so 512mb of ram is gonna cost you like $40)
Old 2003-04-23, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Spliffstar
Private

another question: how will i know which kind of RAM to buy and what store has the best prices?

thanks for the reply
Old 2003-04-23, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I don't think the game will ever run decent on a celeron, sorry. You'll be easy pickings even if you do make it into game.

Voodoo3's I think can pull off some software t&l. Its been so long since I messed with Voodoo's but I seem to remember this. Maybe it was just V5's. There is also some mention of a software T&L renderer on the beta boards under video.

Another 256 is good but not gonna save you. A 9500 card, especially a Pro or atleast a 128, should be able to play SB just fine. I hear of ppl playing on 7500's, a 9000 Pro would do very well also.

There are some good deals on upgrades these days, check out one of the other threads about an upgrade. I posted some specs and prices on a very good setup for cheap.
Old 2003-04-23, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Spliffstar
Private

Originally posted by Daleon
I don't think the game will ever run decent on a celeron, sorry. You'll be easy pickings even if you do make it into game.
What's wrong with a celeron? and actually, what exactly is it? What kind is recommended and how much do they cost?

Originally posted by Daleon
A 9500 card, especially a Pro or atleast a 128, should be able to play SB just fine. I hear of ppl playing on 7500's, a 9000 Pro would do very well also.
I was looking at a Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB.. im just not sure which one to get or which ones will work on my computer (at newegg.com). They range from like $140 - $220 and all have different specs but i dont know what they mean. If I get that video card and 512MB ram, will the game run "just fine" even tho i got a celeron?
Old 2003-04-23, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

will ps run on my comp.

P4 1.2(horrible i know)
Geforce 4 mx440 64mb(hope to upgrade soon to a 128mb card)
512 RAM
Cable modem connection
compaq
Old 2003-04-23, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Well Celeron's, or celery's, are stripped down P3's, atleast the one you have is. Usually have half as much onboard cache and the fsb is lower.

Yours should have 256k cache and be 100mhz. They were on about the same scale as Durons, but really not as good. The P4 versions are a little better but still have crap for cache and are way over priced. Basically its just not a great chip even when it first came out, let alone trying to push a game like PS.

Can it do it? Yes, it should. I really don't know what kind of frame rate you would be looking at. As for the video, ATI does have alot of different models. Basically any of them should work in your system, as long as you have an AGP slot. Not sure why you wouldn't but I've seen weird stuff from Compaq. The cheapest 9500 Pro is gonna be like $175 for an oem and $200 for a ATI retail. There are also non pro versions that come in 64 meg and 128 meg versions. These range from $130 to $160. Basically get whats in your price range, you'll get more performance out of the 9500 Pro, and prolly better quality out of the retail over the oem. If these are to much like I said before, the 9000 Pro is based on the 8500 chipset, which was a ATI's top chipset a cpl years ago. I still use the 64 meg version and it handles PS solid. But I also have alot of CPU pushing it. The 9000 Pro's are just as good if not better, especially the 128's and are only about $99 or so. If I were you I would try and make your money stretch as far as possible and get whatever kind of total combo cpu/mb/ram/vid upgrade you can come up with.

As for you Hawkeye, it'll run I think. The Geforce 4 mx440 is basically really a weak Geforce 2. Should do T&L fine. Won't exactly smoke or anything. As for CPU, again will make loading game slow, but prolly if you tone down the g/f enough it should be somewhat playable.
Old 2003-04-24, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
SpaceDrake
Master Sergeant

Spliffstar, you NEED a new machine. I'm sorry man, but it's true. With the way the Celeron CPU is crippled, you need to whack a few hundreds megahertz off of the clock speed to get an idea of how effective it is next to newer processors, in which case it's on the very teetering edge of obsolence. A newer graphics card would probably clog the processor (it happened with my previous P3 733mhz processor and my GeForce 3 Ti 500, which I still have: the processor couldn't process the information from the GF3 fast enough, and so the card was literally half as effective as it should've been.) Really, look into ways of financing an entirely new machine, especially if you want to get into any kind of serious gaming.

Hawkeye, you're a bit better off. Are you sure it's a Pentium 4 you have? I thought the lowest they ever clocked those was 1.5... the Geforce 4 MX, however, is a bit better than Daleon says. *fish-slaps Daleon* He's gotten the GeForce 2 MX confused with the GF4 MX... the former was a crippled GeForce 2 core, while the deceptively named GeForce 4 MX is in fact a GeForce 2 core on a healthy dose of steroids. The only thing it lacks really are the pixel and vertex shaders of the newer cards, which limits what it can do. Still, if your processor is only 1.2 ghz, it's also getting dangerously close to the edge of obsolence... you can probably get away with it for 3-6 more months, but then it's upgrade time.
Old 2003-04-24, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
HawkEye
Major

Misc Info

ya i plan on doing that im pretty sure it is a P4. my comp is a year old and i need an upgrade lol. ive tried overclolcking it but did not notice ne difference. dont know if that will make anything better.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum