When it comes down to it, I really didn't need Core Combat - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will be your friend for a dollar.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-04, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Valcron
Master Sergeant

When it comes down to it, I really didn't need Core Combat

Before I get into the *FAT* of my post, I do enjoy CC. Fighting in the caverns is fun, well when there is actually people in there which half the time there isn't.

But, I did some thinking last night and I came to the conclusion that the way SOE designed this expansion I actually didn't *NEED* to get it. Here's a list of what I came up with.

- The new weapons are limiting. Since you can only use the weapons when you have an equipment module, or down in the caves. It in turn makes the new weapons pretty much less desired, it's kind of like the old phrase "Out of Sight, out of Mind". While the malestrom and Spiker may be okay in a sense, I just don't go out of my way to use them.

- Same with the new vehicles. Now that the Flail fever is dying down a bit, this is clearly the only vehicle that is *Really* worth it. The router is very buggy, and the switchblade really doesn't make anyone's mouth water all the much. They're not BAD vehicles, but to actually limit their use makes people not want to run out and go buy an expansion for it.

- The caverns. They're empty, there has NOT been a pop lock on ANY emerald cavern yet. Unless it has happened during the day or in the morning hours which I highly doubt, the caverns are filled with a squad or 2 at most. The fighting in them can be fun, but, it's just not worth it in the end.

Looking at the whole picture, CC isn't really needed. The limiting factors of it actually hurt it in the end. 6 caverns that are largely inactive, vehicles and weapons that I don't *REALLY* need to use, and the fact that I can accomplish what I want on the surface with moving modules, stealing modules, and destroying modules, it makes me really question the 30 dollars that I spent on it.

- Thoughts
Old 2003-11-04, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

/agreed , but most of us are consumer whores for Planetside. The expansion has new things but i would really like to see more people in the caverns.
Old 2003-11-04, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
sutserikeru
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Valcron
The new weapons are limiting. Since you can only use the weapons when you have an equipment module, or down in the caves. It in turn makes the new weapons pretty much less desired, it's kind of like the old phrase "Out of Sight, out of Mind". While the malestrom and Spiker may be okay in a sense, I just don't go out of my way to use them.
One word: Locker

Originally Posted by Valcron
Same with the new vehicles. Now that the Flail fever is dying down a bit, this is clearly the only vehicle that is *Really* worth it. The router is very buggy, and the switchblade really doesn't make anyone's mouth water all the much. They're not BAD vehicles, but to actually limit their use makes people not want to run out and go buy an expansion for it.
How is the Router buggy?
The Switchblade is badass, it gives ATV cert some reason for getting
Originally Posted by valcron
- The caverns. They're empty, there has NOT been a pop lock on ANY emerald cavern yet. Unless it has happened during the day or in the morning hours which I highly doubt, the caverns are filled with a squad or 2 at most. The fighting in them can be fun, but, it's just not worth it in the end.
:agreed:
The caverns are full of action in the mornings.
NC has most of the cavern locks on Emerald... in the mornings

Last edited by sutserikeru; 2003-11-04 at 11:15 AM.
Old 2003-11-04, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bad Mojo
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I totally agree when it comes to the weapons and vehicles. I'm not even a tech plant dependent vehicle person. But, there's only one vehicle that demands it's own cert and that's the flail. So, I don't feel cheated or anything when it comes to the rest of the game. I don't know if I would have a favorite set up with a CC weapon, though. In that respect, I can agree that CC is a nice addition, but not much of a "big deal".

But modules. Someone has to GET them for us to steal or use them. So, even if you don't have CC and you use the modules, you depend on those caverns for them. I also think the modules are really the lynchpin of what CC offered Planetside. Modules really can make a base more defendable against an enemy force and the pain module ... HOLY SHIT ... the pain module has to be one of the most potent modules. I hate that thing so much. But, I like to have them in my own bases. Hehe.

I think CC is all good, and I like what it brings to the game. But, modules are clearly the "bulk" of the deal, IMO.
Old 2003-11-04, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

The caverns are interesting, but I have never seen them used that much on Markov yet. Last night they were open on Amerish and there was only me and one NC in the entire cavern. All we did was play round robin as we hacked one facility after another from each other. Amerish had 3 modules installed at 3 seperate bases and that was it. I checked the other continents and it was about the same. A couple didn't even have modules installed anywhere and only Hossin had more than 10.
Old 2003-11-04, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kerosene31
Staff Sergeant

I have to agree with you for the most part. I too love the caverns, but I have not yet had any kind of fun battle down there. Each time I go down there, they are either empty, filled with all the same realm, or totally owned by another empire (with nobody really having any interest to go down there to get it back).

I really think there CAN be really good battles down there eventually. Once people figure out where they are going.

I'm not really a vehicle person, so the new vehicles are pretty useless to me. Other than a few Maelstroms in some lockers, I really haven't gotten any real enjoyment for my $30. I'm not complaining, just hoping that things will change soon.

I wonder how many PS people actually bought CC. Other than flails, I don't really see any CC stuff very often.
Old 2003-11-04, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ducimus
Sergeant

Theres really no need for anyone who hasnt bought CC to have CC anyway.

Everything in CC comes up to the surface. No need for the average joe to go down there. I see modules, flails and the like all the time, why do i need to go to the core?

I don't.
Old 2003-11-04, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
sutserikeru
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by kerosene31
I have to agree with you for the most part. I too love the caverns, but I have not yet had any kind of fun battle down there. Each time I go down there, they are either empty, filled with all the same realm, or totally owned by another empire (with nobody really having any interest to go down there to get it back).

I really think there CAN be really good battles down there eventually. Once people figure out where they are going.

I'm not really a vehicle person, so the new vehicles are pretty useless to me. Other than a few Maelstroms in some lockers, I really haven't gotten any real enjoyment for my $30. I'm not complaining, just hoping that things will change soon.

I wonder how many PS people actually bought CC. Other than flails, I don't really see any CC stuff very often.
/agreed the caves are big enough to hold a 3 empire war, tho the twr like buildings arent to great. The buildings should be on a 15 min timer and you should have to cap the core to use it which should also be on a 15 min timer
Old 2003-11-04, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Laeritides
Staff Sergeant

Angry

I want my money back! I wish I could return CC. It has not added a damn thing to the game that I want or use.
Old 2003-11-04, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I love CC and that is precisely the problem! I dont want to continue having to play all battles on the surface. I was bored of the zerg base assault months ago. I want to log on, go to a cave, and fight in caves untill I need to log off. Currently the caves arent used at all and even when there are hot spots there, you CANNOT instant action to one.

I guess I am different than other posters here because I want to fight no where else BUT the caverns. at least for the next few months. I want to be able to play with AT weapons exclusivly and have fun with all the new stuff. Currently when I log on my outfit is NEVER in any cave and never goes into the caves and neither does anyone else
Old 2003-11-04, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Very True , CC Beta Battles in the playtests were awesome. The expansion's only problem that it doesnt have enough people.
Old 2003-11-04, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
sutserikeru
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
I want to fight no where else BUT the caverns.
i hear that
Old 2003-11-04, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Aen
First Sergeant

I like the caverns and such, but if I knew what I know now, I dont think I wouldve bought CC.
Old 2003-11-04, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Valcron
Master Sergeant

Aen,

Agreeded, with all of the restrictions and the limited time I am in the caverns it's proven to be damper on the actual product.

Also, what happened to CYssor and Ishundar?
Old 2003-11-04, 03:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jagd
Major

The switchblade is actually pretty friggen sweet, so don't be dissing it! You can deploy and obliterate a reaver before he knows what the hell is going on, and that is good news for my infiltrator.

Other than that though the fights down below are usually pretty frustrating cause once you die you either can't find where you were before, or you can't get any weapons so you're running around in standard armor waiting to get shot in the back. And that's incredibly frustrating when it's like a miracle that you actually found an enemy to fight with in the first place! I think you should be able to HART to any cave, whether the continent that leads to it is locked or not. Once we can get to them more easily, maybe we'll start figuring out our way around (still get soooo confused trying to get to the top CC rooms) and eventually maybe it will be worthwhile. As it stands today though, SOE has a huge strike against them as far as my purchasing their next expansion.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion