The Gauss sucks, right? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please check your life at the door.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-09-19, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
User58
Sergeant

The Gauss sucks, right?

I use it just cause is seems more powerful than the other NC Medium Assault weapon. I get hosed even when I'm nailin' the other guy.

EDIT: It can take out a Mosquito in about 15 shots with AP rounds though. But then again, so can a flyswatter...

Old 2003-09-19, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

I thought controlled bursting was important with the Cycler, but it's nowhere near as important as with the Gauss. The bullets do enough damage to make up for it, but it can be hard in a heated battle to do the things necessary to keep the COF bloom down as much as possible. Running with it is a really bad idea, which is something you can get away with using the Cycler. Crouching helps a lot. It doesn't take a lot of bullets to tear up a reinforced though.
Old 2003-09-19, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SecondRaven
Contributor
Major

I like the gauss over all medium guns...I just think it is a nice gun with decent power and not a bad kick. If you are dumb and stand up and hold down fire of corse its going to be inacurate. Just Kneel and do controled bursts with it and its a very good gun.
Old 2003-09-19, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ViperGTS
Banned

I would rather the gauss over any gun...evan the jackhammer...
Old 2003-09-19, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by SecondRaven
I like the gauss over all medium guns...I just think it is a nice gun with decent power and not a bad kick. If you are dumb and stand up and hold down fire of corse its going to be inacurate. Just Kneel and do controled bursts with it and its a very good gun.
I think in a longer range firefight, I need to
remap the zoom since it's awfly clumsey with the Z key. It does have nice range though. When someone pops around a corner and starts gassin' ya it's hard to kneel. My framerates vary so wildly, I'm hardly ever sure where anyone is anyhow.
Old 2003-09-19, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Distance: Gauss > Cycler

Indoors: Cycler > Gauss
Old 2003-09-19, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Distance: Gauss > Cycler
Totally depends on the distance. Long distance, the Gauss is better, medium distance, the Cycler totally ownz it. I find most tower and base assaults within "medium range" The gauss is so inacurate that at medium range you get shreded by cyclers and at long range? Well, your stupid to fight a gauss at long range. It is never a problem to creep up a few trees and take away the range advantage. In my experience its foolish to fight a Gauss at long range and it is foolish to fight a Cycler at medium range
Old 2003-09-19, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by Queensidecastle
Totally depends on the distance. Long distance, the Gauss is better, medium distance, the Cycler totally ownz it. I find most tower and base assaults within "medium range" The gauss is so inacurate that at medium range you get shreded by cyclers and at long range? Well, your stupid to fight a gauss at long range. It is never a problem to creep up a few trees and take away the range advantage. In my experience its foolish to fight a Gauss at long range and it is foolish to fight a Cycler at medium range
I think the Cycler is what's my problem. Believe it or not, I faced the VS for the first time and that Lancer or whatever. Yea the Gauss is pretty useless in short - Medium range against a Lancer or a Cycler. The COF easily gets very large.
Even at Medium Long range on basically semi-auto type firing, it tends to shoot in a random circle.
Old 2003-09-19, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

If you got a guy trying to snipe you with a Lancer, its just better to vacate that particular area or get the distance down to 40m or so
Old 2003-09-19, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Cease
First Sergeant

I've gotten a new respect for the Gauss recently as I've been spending more time with one of the top 10 killers on NC/Markov who ISN'T certed in HA. His primary weapon is the Guass, and watching him use it make you feel like a complete n00b for certing in HA.
Old 2003-09-19, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
User58
Sergeant

I may have the VS weap wrong

Originally posted by Queensidecastle
If you got a guy trying to snipe you with a Lancer, its just better to vacate that particular area or get the distance down to 40m or so
I'm not sure which it is. I't shoots an energy beam looks like lightining.
Old 2003-09-19, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Trebor95
First Sergeant

Re: I may have the VS weap wrong

Originally posted by User58
I'm not sure which it is. I't shoots an energy beam looks like lightining.
Pulsar? their MA weapon
Old 2003-09-19, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Cease
I've gotten a new respect for the Gauss recently as I've been spending more time with one of the top 10 killers on NC/Markov who ISN'T certed in HA. His primary weapon is the Guass, and watching him use it make you feel like a complete n00b for certing in HA.
Yeah, it took me a little while to get used to even being passable with the Gauss after getting used to the Cycler, but when you see one of the people who is really good with a Gauss it's amazing. I've watched from the NC side and eaten it from the TR side and the Gauss in the right hands is a very efficient weapon.
Old 2003-09-19, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I think the one that looks like "lightning" is the Lasher :d
Old 2003-09-19, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

I love the gauss, it is very effective in combonation with agile and surge. Since you'll be bursting with it anyways, you basicly run past the enemy doing rapid strafeing runs. At medium range, you can take pot shots from behind cover since it takes less than 15 hits to take anything other than a MAX down(not even 10 on an agile).

This also makes it very ammo-efficient, which is an asset to medic-engineers like myself that have long life-spans.

It is a very hardware-dependent weapon though. If you cant get at least 20 fps, you're fairly well screwed trying to use it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion