PSU: Nerf the "u" key.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-20, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Installed a new HSF (Cool pictures :D)

So about 2 weeks ago my slk-900A HSF from thermalright arrived. Just today my 92mm vantec tornado arrived, so I finally got to get this badboy mounted.

Old (stock) HSF removed:

Yeah so I take the old crappy stock HSF off and this is what I find...

This is actually after I had cleaned it off a little. Basically the whole die was covered in the thermal pad stuff. Long story short, if it can be avoided, never use the stock AMD HSF....

Ok so now we have it cleaned up:

and ready for thermal grease. I forgot to take a picture with the thermal grease on there but whatever so anyways I got the slk-900 on....

and omg its fucking huge.

Ok so I put everything back in, start the computer up and check out my bios temps.... what the hell it says 60 degrees Celcius.... uhhh..... Yeah so I let it run a little thinking maybe its messed up or something, and it gets up to 70 C... ouch. I shut it off and take everything back out. I then realized I didn't take off the little pads on the processor and put the new ones on doh. Ok so I rip those off put the new ones, that go onto the actual HSF on, then put some new thermal grease on. Ok boot it up 28 C kickass.

Right now I'm idling at 33/34 C when before with the stock HSF I was idling at 43. A 10C improvement, awesome. Tonight I'm gonna run some benchmarks and see what I get at full load, I can't wait.

EDIT: Forgot to add how fucking LOUD this thing is. I've seen people on various forums say that this fan sounds like a jet engine taking off, but I dismissed it seeing as everyone at hardocp and the like are so anal about having silent pcs. But damn they weren't lying this thing really does sound like a jet engine.
Old 2004-01-20, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

sweet man, mine came with a reotostat(sp) that lets me change the speed right now i can't here it over the rest of my comp but when i'm gaming it turn it up to about mid way, If i turnt it all the way up it sounds like a jet/vacum/dieing cat

You can probably get one for your fan too off of frozencpu.com or another PC cooling store

EDIT: Just saw the vantech tornado lable man those are beasts

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-01-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 2004-01-20, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

yeah I just thought about that, probably gonna get one, and turn it on low while I'm sleeping/not using the comp.
Old 2004-01-20, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Nice, yea I have the 80mm Tornado and it drives me freaking insane.
Old 2004-01-20, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Was just doing a test in prime95, ran it for an hour and the highest temp reading I got was 38C full load. I was running about 53-55 full load with the stock hsf. I love this thing.
Old 2004-01-21, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Do you think you could take that zalmans im getting and take the tornado apart and mount the actuall tornado fan in it. 8) There both 92 mm. How good of an HSF would that make?

Old 2004-01-21, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

that would be pretty insane, probably really effective. The whole point behind the zalman being so big is so the fan can rotate slower (about 1200 rpm) and be quieter, yet still affective. Sticking a 92 mm tornado would be awesome . Just really make sure you have it on there tight, this thing is faaaaaasssssttt. Would hate to see it fall off ouch.
Old 2004-01-21, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ait'al
Contributor
General

The zalmans is actually 2400 on slow(quite) mode and 3500 on regular. Its made to hold a high speed fan. 8) What are the rpms on The tornado?
Old 2004-01-22, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Old 2004-01-22, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ait'al
Contributor
General

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-34.html is this the exact same one you bought?
Old 2004-01-22, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

I don't know if it would fit. Tornado's are much thicker than normal fans.
Old 2004-01-22, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Cyanide
Major

I run my AthlonXP 2600+ at about 30 degrees C under full load. I have a Zalman flower style HS using a 92mm fan and Arctic Silver 3 thrermal compound. The fan runs at about 2900rpm and is almost totally silent, even when I'm gaming.

In short, Zalman kicks ass.
Old 2004-01-22, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

ait i wouldn't mess with a sweet cooler like that zalman, its quiet even when on full speed and it cools very very well, i would have gotten one but it was 2 expencive i got mine (it reatials on $5 less) for $18 with rebates and stuff

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-22, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ait'al
Contributor
General

YOu have to mount the zalmans fan in hte first place, and both the tornado and the zalmans fan that comes with it are hte same type. I can always put it back. The only thing i can really do is hurt the tornado.
Old 2004-01-22, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Smaug
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah that link is my tornado. It says 4800, but my mobo reads anywhere from 5080-5110 rpm. If I were you I'd just use it as intended, and see if it works fine that way. If you are dissatisfied, then mess around.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum