Fix the the hills on Quartz Ridge Camp (Indar) please - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Unofficially the most official unofficial fansite.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-16, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

Fix the the hills on Quartz Ridge Camp (Indar) please

Atm, it's only one way (top-down, S-N) defensible, heavily favoring VS. At least TR infantry coming from the North should have an easier way to climb up the hills flanking that base to counter somewhat all Magriders and infantry having a turkey shoot field day all the time there.

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-01-16 at 07:39 PM.
Old 2013-01-16, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Fix the the hills on Quartz Ridge Camp (Indar) please

I like asymmetrically defendable bases. Especially considering that we're not going to be all housed on the same continents forever.
Old 2013-01-16, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Brutal Magikarp
Private

I feel like the VS are supposed to have an advantage there, kind of like hamburger - hill.

If you notice near the TR warp gate they have that giant canyon, and the giant crater.

If you notice by the NC warp gate they have all the air cover from the way the rock formations and canyons are...

Knalmean.
Old 2013-01-16, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rolfski
Major

I don't mind the VS advantage here at all but enemies from the north should have more options.
Old 2013-01-16, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

This one really sticks out in my head for some reason.. but I do agree there should be bases like this.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-17, 03:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

I've only fought there a couple of times now (so I don't know how valid my observations will be), but i've always thought it was quite easy to get in from the north. People can get up from the hill on the northwest side, and climb up the hill on the northeast side (not to mention slip themselves between the hill and the east tower of the north gate).

The point that's on the east side of the camp (I don't remember which one it is, B maybe?) is also a pain if you're defending at the gate, because the enemy can slip in near the east side of the wall, whereas the defenders have to go all the way back up to the south side and around to get to that point (unless LA, of course).

Every time i've fought there as VS, the TR seem to have no trouble getting up the hills and getting to the northeast and northwest points, making themselves a nuisance. If people had a decent sized force, you could get them up that northwest hill and flank the defenders at the gate quite nicely I think.
Old 2013-01-17, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I like asymmetrically defendable bases. Especially considering that we're not going to be all housed on the same continents forever.
I agree and even as TR I say leave this as it is.

At present though if you try to attack South from Quartz Ridge, well, don't is my advice.
Old 2013-01-17, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

There is no reason to keep the gate shields up at Quartz. The Vanu coming from the South can easily bypass the walls/shield and go up over the hills with their magriders and proceed to nail anyone in the base. The base is pretty indefensible to be honest. It needs a revamp.
Old 2013-01-17, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
KaskaMatej
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CrazEpharmacist View Post
There is no reason to keep the gate shields up at Quartz. The Vanu coming from the South can easily bypass the walls/shield and go up over the hills with their magriders and proceed to nail anyone in the base. The base is pretty indefensible to be honest. It needs a revamp.
Quartz Ridge Camp is the worst place to be in as a Magrider. While the outside hills are "made" for them, the roads inside are narrow and indented, it's a death trap. That's bad for any ground vehicle, yet the only real advantage Magriders have (strafing) is nullified.
Old 2013-01-17, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Moodel
Private

Landscape forces you the defender to be reactive.

A good force can hold that place for a long time and and an equally good force can take it as was proven yesterday on Miller.

Don't bitch about the lay of the land because just like real life you can't alter it at short notice. Many battle have been fought in unfavorable terrain and still won.

Learn to adapt and switch class depending on the situation and learn to do it fast.
Old 2013-01-17, 08:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rolfski
Major

Don't get me wrong. I see great battles at QR all the time but these are mostly Vanu defending the place. For TR, it's currently too much of a bottleneck to attack and as an outfit we often don't even bother going there, taking the route via West Highland Checkpoint instead.

From a TR defensive point of view, there's really not much you can do about these VS flanking maneuvers. Magriders, heavies and infiltrators are having a field day all the time on the hills, without worrying too much about being counter-attacked.
I don't mind the VS having an advantage here and I love asymmetrical base design, but if these hills were a bit more climbable for infantry coming from the North, at least these flanking parties would be forced to be a bit more on their toe.
Old 2013-01-17, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brutal Magikarp View Post
If you notice near the TR warp gate they have that giant canyon, and the giant crater.
A giant canyon that is a big disadvantage for TR because the base that needs to be defended (Camp Connery) is on the other side of the canyon from the warpgate.

And the crater really just boils down to a bridge battle, which is not advantageous for either side.

The rest of TR country is nothing but flat, indefensible land
Old 2013-01-17, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
For TR, it's currently too much of a bottleneck to attack and as an outfit we often don't even bother going there, taking the route via West Highland Checkpoint instead.
Wimps

I've been defending there on miller and been rolled a few times by tr there. Once you take and hold that south gate and then push in - its hard to defend as its spread out and quite hilly.
Old 2013-01-17, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

Side note, I've had some epic fights at quartz ridge

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-01-17, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

Side note, I've had some epic fights at quartz ridge