Size does matter! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Flame's not welcome
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-02, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Crator
Major General

Lightbulb Size does matter!

In particular scale. For instance if we take Planetside 1 models (infantry, vehicles, bases, etc.) and compare the scale of them to the size of the map you will see that the map is very much larger in scale.

When we look at Planetside 2 we see the scale of everything has been made larger, except for the land mass. So it seems claustrophobic and hectic. We need more land mass. Open space areas between capture points to allow more large scale engagements to form. Allow for more varied vehicles and engineer capabilities in that field of play.

I'm not proposing the same land mass scale when compared to Planetside 1 scale. Some of that was just too much and a lot of it unused anyways. But much more land mass is needed in PS2 I think...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Crator; 2012-09-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Levente
First Sergeant

Re: Size does matter!

still bigger then Caspian Border......
Old 2012-09-02, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
OnexBigxHebrew
Sergeant Major

Putting large dead areas between bases is a terrible idea. They'll just go unused. Make the map bigger? Fine. But don't empty it out. Besides, the last 100 years has shown us that Fighting jn an arbitrary field just doesn't settle anything.

Besides, with the wealth of ways to quickly move in this game, a battle out in the open away from a base probably won't happen often.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kipper
Captain

I kinda agree with more "in between" space just from what I've seen. Ur doesn't mean it has to be empty though - people like to fight over 'features' not just facilities.

Be imaginative - make a hex that's a bridge hex with CPs in a bunker either side for instance. No base needed.

Make one a tiny comms array with one or two tiny shelters on a high plateau.

And so on.

I would like to see some big vehicle battles though, deffo.
Old 2012-09-02, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I kinda agree with more "in between" space just from what I've seen. Ur doesn't mean it has to be empty though - people like to fight over 'features' not just facilities.

Be imaginative - make a hex that's a bridge hex with CPs in a bunker either side for instance. No base needed.

And so on.

Come on West 1 there's normally a huge vehicle battle everynight
Old 2012-09-02, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phisionary
Corporal

I also feel it should be more spaced out. I'd like to see more stuff, but chained together sort-of so there is a nice progression, and have more open space in between. Right now, especially for air play, you leave one base area and you're immediately right on top of a different base. Like a bunch of big base maps, each on a puzzle piece, all fitted together. I'd like to see the terrain and world scaled up by about 50% maybe, and possibly have a more natural layout.
Old 2012-09-02, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
DaMann
Private

I really want to see some battles more on open ground. This base hopping gets really annoying after a few hours. Some of my favorite times involve a smaller capture point with two outfixs trying to flank the other.

So have fewer capture points maybe. Get rid of most of the single com bases and have things more spread out. I have yet to see a huge tank battle on east 01 so lets make it happen
Old 2012-09-04, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Ryoji
Private

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

And so on.

Really like the idea of this to make use of having more open space and encouraging more non-base battles, used to love it when fights developed between two bases across one of those bridges.
Old 2012-09-04, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Levente View Post
still bigger then Caspian Border......
Ran into this the other day:

http://drunkenmafia.com/showthread.p...red-to-BF3-Map

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-09-04, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Higgles mentioned at last year's SOE Fan Faire that areas of terrain would be able to be taken only by tanks or only by aircraft. I wonder if that concept has been scrapped? I would personally love to see the hexes broken up more and have some of these types of mechanics in place.

That said, Indar is small. It doesn't feel small, it is small. No hate, just truth - it's half the size of a Star Wars Galaxies map and that's the game I come to PS2 from, primarily.
Old 2012-09-04, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
dsi
Staff Sergeant

More space in-between bases doesn't even matter if the only important vehicle for the only important thing in the game, base capping, just flies over it all.
Old 2012-09-05, 02:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Levente
First Sergeant

Unbelivable guys, we finally have a PC exklusive game, built just for the PC power, we finally get not just 64 players but 2000, we have a freaking huge map and you guys are complaning about the size. WTF?!? SERIOUSLY?
to me this game is just perfect. After BF3 dissapointment and fail, planetside 2 is what i have been waiting for since Bf2142
Old 2012-09-05, 04:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
TokyoZeplin
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
When we look at Planetside 2 we see the scale of everything has been made larger, except for the land mass. So it seems claustrophobic and hectic. We need more land mass. Open space areas between capture points to allow more large scale engagements to form. Allow for more varied vehicles and engineer capabilities in that field of play.
I agree very much with this.
It was one of my favourite things in PS1, the battles that formed BETWEEN the bases and capture points. Those fights in the forests, or on/over a big hill, trying to hide your AMS somewhere safe, or trying to set up closer AMS's to move forward. Now those were awesome games!

Originally Posted by dsi View Post
More space in-between bases doesn't even matter if the only important vehicle for the only important thing in the game, base capping, just flies over it all.
Also that. The way the system works right now, there's no real reason to run along on foot. The only reason you get a tank is if you are bad a flying. My play session last night was spending a lot of time in a Galaxy flying back and forth capturing random points :S

Last edited by TokyoZeplin; 2012-09-05 at 04:31 AM.
Old 2012-09-05, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
AThreatToYou
Major

I expected a lot more open, baseless fields as well and I think the game is lesser for it.
Old 2012-09-05, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Toppopia
Major

Didn't Higby say that every inch of the continent was made for fighting on? So shouldn't that mean battles should be forming on most of these inches that were made specifically for the task of being fought on?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion