Review so far of update. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We don't swim in your toilet, so don't pee in our pool.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-05-20, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Review so far of update.

TR perspective thus far...

Baron: Not really interesting. It feel very generic and I'm just not a fan. Its not that it shouldn't be in the game, it just doesn't really feel worth the time or money.

TORQ-9: Not bad. The sound of the weapon is probably the worst part. It feels like it has no weight when its shooting and it sounds like the gun is either wheezing or muffling a fart. The time to kill is noticeably higher than its competitor the Cycler TRV. Recoil is much more controllable that the TRV, so it should be good for newer players. For people with half decent recoil control, there is no reason to choose the TORQ over the TRV.

Implants: My biggest gripe with the update. Everyone wondered if this was going to be pay to win. Well, I don't think they are, but they are not a good addition either.
The biggest problem is that the drop rate is not what they said it would be. After going around marauding the NC and racking up countless kills (3.4 at end of session), countless revives, countless points, I was not able to sustain a tier 1 implant. I was doing very well and going on long streaks of kills and heals and not matter what, I could not get enough charge.
Basically, this is one of the biggest pay for advantage moves that SOE has done. People hated it, or were at least banking on the drop rate. From what I have seen, it is a failure. The rich will get richer, and the poor will get poorer.

This isn't my absolute review of the update, and I will continue evaluating, but the implant system has not left a good first impression. What are you're thoughts guys?
Old 2014-05-20, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Re: Review so far of update.

Sounds like it might be a bug, honestly. I dunno. There shouldn't be any guesswork to how long it takes to get an implant. I'm sure there's a mathematical point where you have enough XP to gain one.

Anway, as far the "Pay2Win" aspect of them... I noticed no such thing after three hours of play. Maybe it might take more time for people to get familar with the system, but I had no problem gunning down all who stood before me, implant or no implant. Didn't even use mine. I logged in, bought a 5-pack, fiddled for with the crafting system for a bit then got bored and moved on,
Old 2014-05-21, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mordelicius
Major

I hear Liberators got ninja hoover-nerfed via acceleration delay. True? Might be worth checking PS2 again if true .
Old 2014-05-21, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I've popped back to try again, but it's still a way off. They have resources tied up with the ps4 release (funded by the implant /battery cash grab) so pc is deprioritised for now.

Not even going to try the implants. Sounds too much like a drug habit you have to keep up with an outlay of certs/smeds. No thanks.

Old 2014-05-21, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Chewy
Major

For all of the people that wanted to use Mattocks on TR or VS toon. Use the Baron. Almost the same level of change using that weapon next to the other shotguns compared to using Mattocks next to the other MAX shotguns.

Will buy once I get the certs. Having a reliable 3 shot kill (VR) at 20m is massive when the Mauler (now free shotgun) needs 5-10+ (VR) at 20m.

The Tross (new NC weapon) also feels rather good in VR. A DMR but with more ammo. Burst fire it and things die.
Old 2014-05-21, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

After reading a bit about implants i wonder if SOEs marketing guys finally succumbed to their brain parasites, also known as "ea disorder".

I mean wow, that sounds like a really horrible, horrible mechanic. Did they even try to monetize other aspects by now? Like, proper character customizations, name/sex/server changes, all that stuff? Because this, in combination with the existing shop, will give a terrible first impression to any potential new player, regardless if it is "p2w" or not.

*Sigh*...you know, at some point in the past i was really looking forward to this game and how it could change the stupid, bland, money-grabbing, iron sights, call of duty shitfest that is current gen fps gaming. But now i have to ask myself if i even want to check it out again when they got hossin/intercontinental lattice into their "game".

Ahwell, this bubble of bullshit will burst too sometime, 1983 will come again. And the landfill for this generations "e.t."s still has some space left, PS2 currently seems to be applying for a spot.

Edit: Just who managed to stand up and pull this incredible awesome stunt of making PS1 completely free? I really wanna know so i don't accidently pitchfork them in the inevitable uprising of taste against bollocks.

Last edited by Babyfark McGeez; 2014-05-21 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2014-05-21, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vanir
Staff Sergeant

After playing for an hour I was able to earn 8 implants and a bunch of energy. All just from playing. I got most of them from going around repairing stuff like turrets and gens.

Old 2014-05-22, 12:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
After reading a bit about implants i wonder if SOEs marketing guys finally succumbed to their brain parasites, also known as "ea disorder".

I mean wow, that sounds like a really horrible, horrible mechanic. Did they even try to monetize other aspects by now? Like, proper character customizations, name/sex/server changes, all that stuff? Because this, in combination with the existing shop, will give a terrible first impression to any potential new player, regardless if it is "p2w" or not.

*Sigh*...you know, at some point in the past i was really looking forward to this game and how it could change the stupid, bland, money-grabbing, iron sights, call of duty shitfest that is current gen fps gaming. But now i have to ask myself if i even want to check it out again when they got hossin/intercontinental lattice into their "game".

Ahwell, this bubble of bullshit will burst too sometime, 1983 will come again. And the landfill for this generations "e.t."s still has some space left, PS2 currently seems to be applying for a spot.
Why are you still here when all you do is make shitposts like this? Just curious. Funny thing about implants, I was worried it would be P2W as well but. The drop rate for chargers and implants in general are insane. I'm getting more implants than I know what to do with, building the implants you want for free really isn't going to be a very hard task to achieve at all.
Old 2014-05-22, 04:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Vanir View Post
After playing for an hour I was able to earn 8 implants and a bunch of energy. All just from playing. I got most of them from going around repairing stuff like turrets and gens.
Interesting... maybe drops favor support roles. If so then that's actually a really good idea.
Old 2014-05-22, 07:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
Why are you still here when all you do is make shitposts like this? Just curious. Funny thing about implants, I was worried it would be P2W as well but. The drop rate for chargers and implants in general are insane. I'm getting more implants than I know what to do with, building the implants you want for free really isn't going to be a very hard task to achieve at all.
I play planetside. And this is the best forum for it.

It just so happens to also be the forum for this -ahahaha- "sequel", which btw i also played untill last year. So from time to time i glance over to see if it has gotten any better. Which it hasn't. Infact sometimes i feel it has gotten so much worse that i just can't resist the urge to point that out.

You seem to like that -ahahaha- "sequel" to planetside, and that is fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone that PS2 is crap, i'm not trying to ruin your fun, i'm just expressing my opinion.
Old 2014-05-22, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Your -ahahaha- "opinion" about something you haven't had any experience with for a very long time? That -ahahaha- "opinion"?

The Baron: A Jackhammer like shotgun for everyone? Eh I'm not a fan of shotguns, but it seems versatile enough for a shotgun.
New Medic ARs: I've only tried out the TORQ. A very versatile weapon. Basicly a longer range Lynx AR. So far I've had more success while using it with a laser and hipfiring in CQC. I'll still pick my TAR for CQC and the NS-11 for med-long range over the TORQ.
Regarding implants: A cert and SC sink. Had to come, we knew it would happen.
What's the cap for drops, I stopped getting implants and boosts after some time (At least that's what it seemed like). Might just have been bad luck. I guess we'll know when we figure out just how drops are handled.
The RNG crafting is probably going to be a love hate thing for many people. Me? I dislike RNG, goes for most games that feature it, simply because I have the worst luck
I don't really mind them currently, as I haven't really noticed anyone using them actually performing noticeably better.
Notes on some of the implants:
Battle hardened is probably going to be the one I end up using since I've never liked flinch mechanics.
Regeneration: Don't like it, balance wise. Probably going to be one of the most used implants.
Safe Landing: Kinda makes ejection seat a bit pointless, but it does mean that pilots can safely go engineer and stil bail when needed. One of the more interesting implants since you can have entire squads of non-LA jump from cliffs down to a point.
Enhanced Targeting: Seems to be very useful for going up against vehicles.

Although I haven't used em yet I does seem like there isn't enough of a difference between T1 and T3 for a lot of the implants, at least not a big enough difference that warrants spending double the power per second.
It kinda seems like they will have to do some tweaking, but the coming weeks or months will tell what implants people go for the most.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2014-05-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 2014-05-22, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Boildown
Sergeant

If the average player can't keep implants running 2/3rds of the time just by the drops they get playing the game, then this is a new level of Pay For Advantage in Planetside 2. There can't be any disputing that, that isn't from SoE apologists or trolling.

It doesn't seem like drops are that frequent. But its actually hard to say, because we don't have enough time in the system yet. The most efficient way to get charge is to combine your Tier 1s into one Tier 2 and one Tier 3, and then make a super charger from those (this generates 10,000 charge from 30 Tier 1s). The 1000 charge from a Tier 1 and a Tier 2 is half as efficient (1000 charge from 6 Tier 1s).

Until I get all my implants, I'm not going to be making the T2+T3= 10,000 charge conversions, so I don't know yet the end state rate of charge income, and until I do I can't say that there's really new Pay For Advantage in the long term.

Old 2014-05-22, 01:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

They've removed the drop cap in the hotfix today, so now we just have to see if the drop rate is high enough for the majority.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2014-05-22, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Your -ahahaha- "opinion" about something you haven't had any experience with for a very long time? That -ahahaha- "opinion"?

Sure that was maybe uncalled for, but cut me some slack.
I really had some hopes for this and felt quite letdown by the actual game despite rolling with it and putting cash into it for over a year. PS2 managed to go beyond being "meh, not really my kind of game" into the realm of "why the fuck did you do this to my fond memories of a beloved game".
Maybe that's why i sometimes feel the need to shake my fist at it impotently.

However if you like the game, good for you, and i mean that. I got my PS1, you got your PS2, all good. I will try to restrain myself from glancing over unless it's maybe, i dunno, hossin or something.
Old 2014-05-22, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Obstruction
First Sergeant

Safe Landing: Kinda makes ejection seat a bit pointless, but it does mean that pilots can safely go engineer and stil bail when needed. One of the more interesting implants since you can have entire squads of non-LA jump from cliffs down to a point.
it isn't that effective, it only changes the range at which damage and then fatal damage begins by some number of meters that is approximately less than 100.

i bring this up because as a full time bail assault i can report faithfully and with full authority and dignity that most of the times you die while bailing it is because your jetpacks ran out at the last moment and you took some small falling damage, ran out unfortunately early and took fatal damage, or took some explosive damage from your vehicle or stray bullets from chasing enemy craft, and the small falling damage mentioned above becomes fatal. also we don't really know how horizontal velocity is affected by it. another common cause of death while bailing is slamming into the ground before you've canceled your horizontal velocity, or had it canceled for you by a tree or wall. testing will need to be done in this regard, it could be that a certain amount of horizontal velocity is tolerated because the game can't tell the difference. but we don't know yet.

so while the most it may help the average infantry is allowing them to fall off of landing pads, the irony in what you're saying is that it mostly helps light assaults bail more effectively. engineers will still have to nearly land to bail, like they always have (but say they don't lol.)

also ironic here is that ejection seat has always been pointless. no one that seriously uses aircraft ever picks ejection over anything else in that slot. only people who spend air certs to put their infiltrator on a spire or some other niche insertion use do that. and while that is useful in very niche ways, it hardly qualifies as suddenly being useless now that players can spend time/certs/money on falling 80 or 90 meters.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion