PSU: No, we don't serve mayonnaise.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2006-08-16, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kam
Major

Re: Thinking about getting an Xbox 360

It's an awesome game, hands down. However, if you don't have a top of the line computer you will miss out on much of the experience. It is not like WoW, at all. Once you complete the main quest and over 300 side quests, you can download expansions from Bethesda or install some mods for it. It will keep you busy for awhile.
Old 2006-08-16, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Oblivion

I was talking about this game in the xbox thread and decided to make a new one.

I'm thinking about buying it for the PC to give me something to kill time with while in college. What do you guys think? Have any of you played it (on either xbox PC)? If so, what's it like? Does it get boring like WoW did? Playing alone, it seems like it would be boring after a while. Is it dynamic and fun to play for hours on end? Will I get tired of it quickly?

Just let me know what you think about this game.
Old 2006-08-16, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Re: Oblivion

Looks like one of those admins decided to merge old and new.

thanks!
Old 2006-08-16, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kam
Major

Heh, I was confused when I saw I posted this.
Old 2006-08-16, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

I think my laptop can handle this game.

I'm currently running Dual 2.16GHz Intel Centrino processors, an nVidia GeForce Go 7600, and 2GB of RAM. I'd say it's good enough.
Old 2006-08-16, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
internetn
Sergeant Major

Yea, looks like yours should handle the game even at the highest settings... I won't play my version untill I get a better card or computer.. I bought this game for the looks and if I can't play it for the looks then I'm not playing it.

http://www.lastknights.com/index.php?action=register&ref_id=5639

Old 2006-08-16, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

I read this on Wikipedia just now.. and it's hilarious! These are unexpected things that happened with Oblivion's AI. (Some of them are REALLY clever for AI...) Too bad they fixed these issues before release.

According to interviews given by the developers, the following are examples of unexpected behavior discovered during early testing:

1. One character was given a rake and the goal "rake leaves"; another was given a broom and the goal "sweep paths," and this worked smoothly. Then they swapped the items, so that the raker was given a broom and the sweeper was given the rake. In the end, one of them killed the other so he could get the proper item.
2. In another test, a minotaur was given a task of protecting a unicorn. However, the Minotaur repeatedly tried to kill the unicorn because he was set to be an aggressive creature.
3. In one Dark Brotherhood quest, the player can meet up with a shady merchant who sells skooma, an in-game drug. During testing, the NPC would be dead when the player got to him. The reason was that NPCs from the local skooma den were trying to get their fix, did not have any money, and so were killing the merchant to get it.
4. While testing to confirm that the physics models for a magical item known as the "Skull of Corruption," which creates an evil copy of the character/monster it is used on, were working properly, a tester dropped the item on the ground. An NPC immediately picked it up and used it on the player character, creating a copy of him that proceeded to kill every NPC in sight.
5. In one test, after a guard became hungry and left his post in search of food, the other guards followed to arrest him. The town people looted the town shops, due to lack of guards.

Bethesda worked to fix these issues, balancing an NPC's needs against his penchant for destruction so that the game world still functions in a usable fashion. In-game there are over 1,000 different NPCs, not including randomly spawned monsters and bandits. The result is that the AI in the release version is much reduced although still impressive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eld...on#Radiant_A.I.

My favorite is the one about the druggies killing the vendor!
Old 2006-08-16, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Those glitches sound cool! Maybe I should get the game for my 360 then...
Old 2006-08-16, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Giovanni
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mag-Mower View Post
Those glitches sound cool! Maybe I should get the game for my 360 then...
Get it for the computer. The amount of mods on the pc are amazing if you look back at the earlier versions.
Old 2006-08-16, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

I just dont have a powerful system. Theres no way an x300se video card and 512mb ram would be able to run it.
Old 2006-08-16, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

So yeah, I'm pretty lucky. I told a friend of mine I was going to buy oblivion.. turns out he bought it for the PC but he could never get it to install (his comp couldn't handle it). So, months later, he bought an xbox 360 and got oblivion for that. So he just sold me his oblivion for PC for $25!!!

sweeeeet!
Old 2006-08-16, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
xmodum
Colonel

You get the same mods on the Xbox 360 (Official ones, like the Wizzard tower) from Live MArketplace....

But anyways, it is awesome, and yea, the old glitches for the AI are awesome.

You rarely see that kinda stuff in the present game though, it's taken 5 years to make the game. You can make bar fights though......and watch the NPC's beat the shit out of each other (Old grandma fighting a warrior orc 4tw).

I'v only played it on the 360, but If you don't have a 360 I'd say get the PC of course.....Some of the mods are pretty cool.

On the PC version, there is a hidden room underground that the devs used to test stuff, it has one of EVERYTHING in there, every enchanted item....everything. And there is a mod which basicly makes a door to it in one of the houses you can buy.
Old 2006-08-16, 10:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mag-Mower
General

Misc Info

Hmm, defintley sounds cool. Maybe I will pick it up for the 360, when I get tired of FIFA and Dead Rising. Sounds pretty cool.
Old 2006-08-16, 11:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kam
Major

Ya it's good fun.

I thing he was referring to the hundreds of player created mods xmodum.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.co...ow_days_back=1
Old 2006-08-17, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

I'm still trying to get the hang of this game. I played it for 3 hours last night and I'm still learning. I think maybe a chose a bad class. I custom created one.. it's basically exactly the same as a mage except instead of alchemy it's heavy armor. Spell casting is tough in this game. You actually have to aim!

And I don't like how spells are displayed. You can only have one active at a time (with 8 hotkeys.. which aren't displayed) so you have to remember what you put where and what it is.

It's tough, but a lot of fun. I'm running it at full graphics detail and it's so smooth, and SO beautiful. Everything looks amazing.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge