Why more Weapons is the Wrong Idea. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: oh no not again!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-24, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Why more Weapons is the Wrong Idea.

I like guns, everybody likes guns... except Figment, but that is another topic. But I think PS2 took the wrong method of approaching how we choose and customize weapons.

The first and most obvious problem is the classification of customizations to overlap when they shouldn't. I dare anyone to explain why an extended magazine should not be usable with a laser sight should not be usable with a foregrip should not be usable with a taclight. Anyway, that is not quite the angle I was aiming for with this thread.

SOE shouldn't be selling us new guns, but rather we should be taking the AR platform approach: Have one base design that is interchangeable to literally fill any role desired. Basically bring the Gauss Rifle, Cycler, and Pulsar to the forefront. I'll use the Gauss for the rest of this thread since I'm NC and I'm not politically correct.

Break down the Gauss Rifle into the base components and you have:

Barrel
Forend
Upper Receiver
Lower Receiver
Buttstock
Trigger Assembly

All of these should be what we customize for different purposes. For example if we want to turn the Gauss into a Battle Rifle, drop in a higher calibre barrel, Upper and Lower. We'd also need to use a different magazine for the larger ammunition. This is all before we get into sights, scopes, lasers, compensators, suppressors, and the like.

To keep class balance mostly intact, simply allow only certain classes to use certain components, such as only HA can elect to use Drum Mags, or Infils are the only ones that can use the Long Rifle Barrels.

Now, what do we do about these weapons we already have? Consolidate them. Identify what makes them unique and let them be a kit to modify the base Gauss.

Other base platforms could be the Jackhammer, MCG, and Lasher.

I'm not sure how easy this was to follow considering I'm sort of paraphrasing what I discussed with outfit mates last night. But the general gist is to focus on modification rather than just adding more guns.

Old 2013-02-24, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Chewy
Major

Re: Why more Weapons is the Wrong Idea.

So, like Blacklight?
Old 2013-02-24, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rolfski
Major

Did you make this thread as a response to mine?

Anyway, going all Blacklight Retribution style and building your own gun from parts would certainly be nice but probably a too drastic change in the game. I guess I could settle for a system as I suggested.
Old 2013-02-24, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

For another thread invoking the name Blacklight:Retribution and a subsequent post by me, also visit: http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...d.php?p=893968
EDIT: OP of other thread beat me to it. What a strange world this is.
Old 2013-02-24, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Graywolves
General

Well my main thing with constantly pulling new guns is that it really skews things. When they said they were going to follow something like League of Legends I was really only expecting the cosmetics.

Constantly pulling new champions in that game doesn't work because they're balanced (debatable). IMO the balance comes from the veto/ban on champions in the pick. And then the entire game revolves around farming so w.e I'm done talking about this game.

But you bringing out new weapons all the time just makes me foresee a power creep. Or situations where I really have no clue what weapon anyone is using and it's a huge "well let's see if he kills me or I kill him and we'll know..."
Old 2013-02-24, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
But you bringing out new weapons all the time just makes me foresee a power creep. Or situations where I really have no clue what weapon anyone is using and it's a huge "well let's see if he kills me or I kill him and we'll know..."
Quite, quite. And in the end there will be too many similar weapons to remember them all, so they might just ALL be the same, and they look similar in the shop anyway and you can only tell them apart by type unless you're looking REALLY hard at the stats etc etc etc.

Shoving some BL:R into the Blender really wouldn't hurt. As long as they don't make us rent weapon parts, I'd start buying attachments and stuff like a maniac because I could use them on all weapons, they'd start feeling meaningful, and ALL THAT AWESOME STUFF.
Old 2013-02-24, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Varsam
Staff Sergeant

This would be great for everyone but SOE - your plan is difficult to monetize. No money, no planetside.
Old 2013-02-24, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I like guns, everybody likes guns... except Figment, but that is another topic."
I genuinely lol'd
Old 2013-02-24, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Varsam View Post
This would be great for everyone but SOE - your plan is difficult to monetize. No money, no planetside.
Not really, just let weapon parts be bought with SC or certs. They get more money out of it then they do with the current model in all likelihood.

Old 2013-02-24, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Did you make this thread as a response to mine?
Generally I make posts in response to threads.

Old 2013-02-24, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mietz
First Sergeant

I've been suggesting this since day 1.
Old 2013-02-24, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I like Blacklight, but not enough to rip off their weapons system verbatim.

edit: sorry, "borrow".
Old 2013-02-24, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Figment
Lieutenant General

It is true, I like pies better. Everyone should have a pie in their home.
Old 2013-02-24, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Varsam
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
Not really, just let weapon parts be bought with SC or certs. They get more money out of it then they do with the current model in all likelihood.
So after you unlock each attachment and platform (which won't take long given the current attachment list), then there's nothing left to monetize, unless you make the unlocks temporary, which is rather unpopular.
Old 2013-02-24, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hamma
PSU Admin

I like this idea and I think it would be a neat system for the game but honestly I don't see it happening it would require some pretty hefty changes.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion