Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It will Mag your Rider
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-14, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sonny
Contributor
First Sergeant

Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable

Hi all,
Saw this on reddit but no thread here about it.
I'm pretty happy about this change as I think the way AT mines can be thrown around at the moment is pretty lame. What do you guys think about it? Is this the end of the suicidal anti-sunderer engie?

edit: Higby did respond to the possibility that an engie could just explode his mines with a grenade. He also gave further details saying that any class could disarm a mine by shooting it. See the discussion here, important quotes below :

'666 Westy543' who asked:

Okay!

Drop tank mines

Throw grenade

Does add some extra work to it though, it was getting ridiculous."
Higby responded:

In this case we would be allowing the mines to be killed without detonating. Shooting them with smallarms fire would also kill them without detonation, essentially to allow anyone to disarm the mine that some butthole just kamikaze dropped on your sundy without HAVING to be an engineer, as well as making it more than just "Drop them then detonate them"
Sonny

Last edited by Sonny; 2013-03-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Canaris
Contributor
General

Re: Mines to explode only when driven over and disarmable

Now that would be very good! I like it

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-03-14, 04:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

YES! Will we be able to see actual minefields in the near future? I hope so.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-14, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Nice touch about disarming them, too.
Old 2013-03-14, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
JesNC
Master Sergeant

While I agree that throwing AT mines like frisbees is lame right now, this change -combined with the change to c4 - is going to make AT mines lame, period.
Old 2013-03-14, 05:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Mines actually working like mines hasn't broken any other games that employ them correctly (i.e. BF3 and PS1 to mention but them).

I don't care if it makes some people cry because they can't frisbee kill a vehicle anymore. Lamest thing ever.
Old 2013-03-14, 07:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kerrec
Master Sergeant

As frustrating as having your Sunderer insta-killed by mines is, this proposed change is going to cripple defensive efforts.

This game, as it is now, is about controlling spawns. If you attack, you have to push defenders off the points and corner them in their spawnrooms.

As defenders, you have to take out enemy spawn points as fast as they come, or else at the very best, you have a never ending battle.

If mines become a non-threat to parked sunderers, then Blockade armor will be THE defacto choice. That means Sunderers will become much stronger versus other vehicles and HA rockets.

I've seen many "arguments" that a team using a sunderer should require a team to take out a sunderer. However, when I play, I see teams trying vainly to hold points (bases and points not really designed for defense) while one or two guys try to take out the sunderer. So the whole "suicide engy" vs. Team argument is flawed IMO. There IS a team effort against the Sunderer, it's just not all focused AT the Sunderer. THIS is what people fail to see and understand.

Making Sunderers harder to kill is going to cripple defenses even more.

One last point: I'll just spec into sticky grenades now. So it will be click-click-G instead of click-click.
Old 2013-03-14, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Finally an end to the discussion. Thanks SOE, good call.

.sent via phone.
Old 2013-03-14, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Want I'm thinking about now is the wording of the tweet. Will you only be able to remove mines by either driving over them or by disarming them? Will firing at them no longer have any effect? Could make for some very interesting gameplay.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-14 at 08:32 AM.
Old 2013-03-14, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Thanks for posting this honestly happy to hear about it.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-14, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mod
Master Sergeant

Great to hear, although I think shooting them with small arms fire should still detonate them.

Having some sort of disarm skill for the engy and/or infil would be great as well.
Old 2013-03-14, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

Throwing mines=bad. Agreed. But changing it so they only go off when driven over? If the target that mine is geared for is within the proximity radius of the mine it should go off regardless if there is any movement.

They just need to implement a set time for each mine placement and call it a day. And if they implement a set time on mines there needs to be the same on c4. The fact that a light assault can use his jetpack and drop c4 with the same ease needs to also be modified.

Old 2013-03-14, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
GunmanTheH
Private

Isn't this pointless? You will just drop your mines and then throw granade on them to make them explode
Old 2013-03-14, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by GunmanTheH View Post
Isn't this pointless? You will just drop your mines and then throw granade on them to make them explode
Except if that is indeed no longer possible.

Old 2013-03-14, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Kerrec View Post
As frustrating as having your Sunderer insta-killed by mines is, this proposed change is going to cripple defensive efforts.

This game, as it is now, is about controlling spawns. If you attack, you have to push defenders off the points and corner them in their spawnrooms.

As defenders, you have to take out enemy spawn points as fast as they come, or else at the very best, you have a never ending battle.

If mines become a non-threat to parked sunderers, then Blockade armor will be THE defacto choice. That means Sunderers will become much stronger versus other vehicles and HA rockets.

I've seen many "arguments" that a team using a sunderer should require a team to take out a sunderer. However, when I play, I see teams trying vainly to hold points (bases and points not really designed for defense) while one or two guys try to take out the sunderer. So the whole "suicide engy" vs. Team argument is flawed IMO. There IS a team effort against the Sunderer, it's just not all focused AT the Sunderer. THIS is what people fail to see and understand.

Making Sunderers harder to kill is going to cripple defenses even more.

One last point: I'll just spec into sticky grenades now. So it will be click-click-G instead of click-click.
That's what C4 is for, the use of mines with this tactic was poor design choice from the start.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion