To CDL members - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only true cradle of the Hair God...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2004-06-02, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

To CDL members

I remember a long-ass time ago, when PlanetSide was still a concept in some dev's head, I was on the Sven Co-op (mod for Half-Life) forums that some gamer had died. I don't remember who the poster was, but it referred to the (at the time recent) passing of -CDL-Valin. I didn't give it much thought at the time.

When I joined up here and took a gander at CDL's website, bam, there it was, Valin's tribute page, the same one I'd seen at the SC forums.

What exactly happened to him?

Sorry about your loss.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-06-02, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Hmm i was wondering about that, when you were talking in Peaces thread

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-06-02, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

-CDL-Valin was an honorable warrior, a great gamer, and a close friend. He served with the utmost distinction in the ranks of the CDL and was promoted quickly to the rank of Officer. He served in the capacity of Tournament Officer setting up scrimmages and matches for us during our tenure in Tribes 1 (IX Mod). He participated in the team's activities with a wonderful attitude during the time of his illness never once complaining or talking about it - he sought no pity.

I knew he was sick, as did a very few number of us. He had a terminal blood disease he had contracted when he was an infant. He was a hemopheliac and required constant blood transfusions when he was a baby. He got the disease through those transfusions. He would go to the doctor occasionaly for check-ups and he always emailed me before he left so I wouldn't worry. The last email he sent to me said he was going in "... for a quick check-up..." Two or three weeks later I emailed him to see how he was since I hadn't heard from him nor seen him in game or on Roger Wilco. I received a reply email from his mom informing me of his death. She made mention of how the Dragon Wolves made his life so much easier and that he had told her that he loved each one of us as brothers. She thanked me personally for that. The team sent flowers to his funeral.

The -CDL- was devastated by his sudden death. The Tribes community reacted with great honor. The -CDL- changed its tag in his honor - the only time in the long history of the team that we have done this. We wore the tag as such for a period of mourning: -CDL-(V)

His sword will ever hang in the honored and hallowed halls of the Dragon Wolf Lair. His name will always remain on our rosters, and his spirit will ever fight beside us. Part of his last email to me went like this:
"Mani, I had a great time at last night's match! Really was the classic -CDL- in battle! By the way, when I get back from the doctor's, I will take over the other duties of tracking the scores and recording them. I really want to get more involved in the process. See you when I get back..."
Until the end, he sought to serve. Here is his tribute:
http://dragonwolves.com/valin/

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2004-06-02, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

R.I.P Valin

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-06-02, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
EarlyDawn
Major General

I'm glad somebody brought this up, I was wondering for some time. For some reason, I had a feeling it was a terminal desease when I saw the page. It always is =(

Honor, Valor, Victory.
Valin.
Old 2004-06-02, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

That's bad-ass. I started to tear up, but then my roommate slapped me and reminded me of my vows.

Seriously. That's awesome- your friend was lucky to have a group of caring, considerate loyal friends like you all. Would that the rest of the world was as lucky, as caring.
Old 2004-06-02, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

I'm stunned, frankly.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-06-02, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Firefly
I started to tear up
Seriously. That's awesome- your friend was lucky to have a group of caring, considerate loyal friends like you all. Would that the rest of the world was as lucky, as caring.
quoted for incredible truth

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-06-02, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Diviant
Contributor
First Sergeant

People laugh at so called "geeks," but we're all a family, an this proves how strong a family we are.
Old 2004-06-02, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

You have my condolences for his family and his friends.

But just a question, is he the Tribe member who has a virtual grave put on a playing Map in his memory?

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-06-02, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mr1337Duck
Lieutenant Colonel

God, I'm not even a member of CDL and that was sad. :-(
Old 2004-06-02, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kaltagesta
Banned

Yeah, that was. I know what it feels like to be in a tight knit group, and it's a great feeling.

/salute -CDL-Valin
Old 2004-06-02, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Corrosion

Misc Info

Wow, I wondered about that, now I know. That is very sad.
Old 2004-06-02, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

These are the kind of things that make CDL what it is. Its why I love to play with them. We support eachother through everything. I love these guys and nothing could make me think of leaving CDL. It truly is the last clan I will ever be in.
Old 2004-06-02, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
EarlyDawn
Major General

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
These are the kind of things that make CDL what it is. Its why I love to play with them. We support eachother through everything. I love these guys and nothing could make me think of leaving CDL. It truly is the last clan I will ever be in.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge