how do factions organize rank? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If two gay guys go out, who pays??
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-08-01, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PsychicNinja
Private

how do factions organize rank?

Hi I'm very excited to get in on some PS2. As a newb to the PS universe I was wondering if there are any player faction leaders/generals and how that affects gameplay. Do they give commands and or plan attack strategies? With combat on such a massive scale it seems this would be necessary for victory.

Oh yeah what faction wants a PsychicNinja on there side. I'm taking recruitment offers
Old 2012-08-01, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Re: how do factions organize rank?

Originally Posted by PsychicNinja View Post
Hi I'm very excited to get in on some PS2. As a newb to the PS universe I was wondering if there are any player faction leaders/generals and how that affects gameplay. Do they give commands and or plan attack strategies? With combat on such a massive scale it seems this would be necessary for victory.

Oh yeah what faction wants a PsychicNinja on there side. I'm taking recruitment offers
there will be command and leadership certs that will allow individuals to eventually be able to try and co ordinate the mass of players for their faction. aside from that your best bet of structure is to join an outfit.

as far as recruitment, the TR is always willing to accept those who pledge their eternal loyalty.

OpticalShadow - Terran Republic Stabasaurus-Rex
Old 2012-08-01, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Sounds like a perfect thread to be moved to New Player Questions.

Within each outfit leaders can choose to command squads or platoons "on the ground/air" issuing order through in-game VOIP or out-game VOIP like Teamspeak 3 (TS3). Some leaders can choose more strategic commanding like issuing orders to their officers, or generating missions using the mission system.

There will be a player-generated mission system, where squads/platoons in your outfit, or public squads can take, complete, and gain experience for.

There will be entire certification tree(s) dedicated to leadership skills. Some of these might be related to unlocking the Player-generated Mission System to either use it in a basic fashion or possibly creating larger-scaled public missions.

Our empire is also forming the NCA(lliance) which will include many outfits with a player & leadership channel TS3 support.
Old 2012-08-01, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
RSphil
Contributor
Major

sounds cool. so in my outfit say, can i have different platoons for different rolls? like one for infantry, one for air force and for armored? and can these platoons be named? i know we dont know much about the outfit system yet in ps2 but would like to know more as i want to start up an outfit of my own with friends who spec in different skills and would them to be able to take charge of these rolls in my outfit and me command the lot.

is there any info on outfits that iv missed by the way?
Old 2012-08-02, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Gonzo
Private

Outfits are the PS2 equivalent to Guilds. They can likely have as much command structure and organization as they want, but some of it will be through communication and set-up outside of the game. You might not be able to micromanage every outfit member's assigned role in a menu, but you could certainly tell them what to do.
Old 2012-08-02, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by RSphil View Post
sounds cool. so in my outfit say, can i have different platoons for different rolls? like one for infantry, one for air force and for armored? and can these platoons be named? i know we dont know much about the outfit system yet in ps2 but would like to know more as i want to start up an outfit of my own with friends who spec in different skills and would them to be able to take charge of these rolls in my outfit and me command the lot.

is there any info on outfits that iv missed by the way?
Yes different squads/platoons can have those different roles you're describing. We did that in PS1, and we'll continue that in PS2. In PS1, Outfits would start a private squad and call it, for example, "Air Calvary". This is usually pre-planned stuff outside of the game like on your outfit's website. You needed players to prepare with certifications in the proper air vehicles. Some outfits would design crests for each unit type. Some outfits created sub-channels on their Teamspeak (TS) for each of these unit types to communicate. In platoon of 3 squads there were also 3 colors - Gold, Orange & Purple. In PS2 I don't know how far they'll take the naming and unit type identification.

Now there will be an in-game player-generated mission system. Players will create missions. Squads and platoons will accept those missions, complete them, and gain experience for them. So someone could launch a mission that says, "Need an armor column to roll toward facility ##" So if you have a squad that's ready and certified in armored vehicles, you could take that mission. Your specialized units can gain quite a well-known reputation in-game.
Old 2012-08-02, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
PsychicNinja
Private

Yeah sorry should have posted in New Player Questions for sure didn't see it till after I posted Derp . . .

Originally Posted by Timithos View Post
Yes different squads/platoons can have those different roles you're describing. We did that in PS1, and we'll continue that in PS2. In PS1, Outfits would start a private squad and call it, for example, "Air Calvary". This is usually pre-planned stuff outside of the game like on your outfit's website. You needed players to prepare with certifications in the proper air vehicles. Some outfits would design crests for each unit type. Some outfits created sub-channels on their Teamspeak (TS) for each of these unit types to communicate. In platoon of 3 squads there were also 3 colors - Gold, Orange & Purple. In PS2 I don't know how far they'll take the naming and unit type identification.

Now there will be an in-game player-generated mission system. Players will create missions. Squads and platoons will accept those missions, complete them, and gain experience for them. So someone could launch a mission that says, "Need an armor column to roll toward facility ##" So if you have a squad that's ready and certified in armored vehicles, you could take that mission. Your specialized units can gain quite a well-known reputation in-game.
Wow sounds awesome I can't wait to play this game. I gave up on Modern Warfare and the like because of the lack of teamwork and negative players online. I will be refreshing to play a shooter with a more intelligent player base oriented around teamwork and leadership. In addition I can also not wait to see a fleet on fleet battle unfold around me!
Old 2012-08-02, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PsychicNinja View Post
Yeah sorry should have posted in New Player Questions for sure didn't see it till after I posted Derp . . .

Wow sounds awesome I can't wait to play this game. I gave up on Modern Warfare and the like because of the lack of teamwork and negative players online. I will be refreshing to play a shooter with a more intelligent player base oriented around teamwork and leadership. In addition I can also not wait to see a fleet on fleet battle unfold around me!
its F2P so the entire playerbase isnt likely going for teh teamwork route, ps1 had its fair share of people running around doing only god knows what.

that said, if you join an outfit, you will have that vast sense of teamwork, and if you join a big one, you might never be playing alone or with pubbies.

OpticalShadow - Terran Republic Stabasaurus-Rex
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion