Spawn Camping problem, Spawn room cams idea - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now remember, I like it spicey.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-22, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Spawn Camping problem, Spawn room cams idea

Watching a live stream recording on youtube I saw an NC infiltraitor spawn in a room camped by TR MAXs. There was like little to no warning. So I was thinking how about when you select the spawn point (that is not squad spawn) you can have a screenshot of what the spawn room looks like before you spawn, so if you see an enemy MAX waiting for you to score an easy kill, you can pick another site instead.

That way th focus is more on disabling enemy spawn points instead of killwhoreing.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Dagron
Captain

Re: Spawn Camping problem, Spawn room cams idea

There was a thread a little while ago in the idea vault that had some thoughts on this, lemme see if i can find it.
Edit: there you go.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-07-22 at 12:27 AM.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

That bit surprised me in the vid. I was under the impression that enemies couldn't go into the spawn rooms themselves yet there they were.

I think they got in through some fluke, most of the spawn rooms I saw had shields between them and the rest of the base and where more secure so not sure how it happened.

Besides you could spawn in a MAX suit instead of a grunt if the problem becomes a major problem. Would give you a better chance to defend yourself.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Yutty
Sergeant

what i think happend was they spawned, then the room got captured by the other team so they stayed.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Haro
Master Sergeant

I'd rather not see anything like a pain field. That was meant to discourage camping but never really put a stop to it. In this case, when people aren't entering the room by choice, there could be circumstances where someone is in the spawn room when they do not mean to be. I'd rather not have them face certain death or damage because of an unfortunate series of events.

I'd prefer to see mandatory deconstruction and reconstruction at another spawn point, either by choice or by proximity, with no loss of equipment nor any significant spawn time.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Mauser101
Sergeant

Actually I think it's a misconception that ALL spawn rooms will be uncampable. Certainly we have seen spawn rooms that even a friendly player cannot get back into due to the shield but in one gameplay vid I even saw an outdoor spawn tube. I really think it's just a matter of learning which spawn rooms are safe and which carry with them some risk.

http://www.sturmgrenadier.com

Last edited by Mauser101; 2012-07-22 at 01:12 AM.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mauser101 View Post
Actually I think it's a misconception that ALL spawn rooms will be uncampable. Certainly we have seen spawn rooms that even a friendly player cannot get back into due to the shield but in one gameplay vid I even saw an outdoor spawn tube. I really think it's just a matter of learning which spawn rooms are safe and which carry with them some risk.
Some spawn points will certainly be campable: galaxies, for example. However, everything else we have seen has been barricaded up, and I hope it stays that way. I think spawn camping is one of those things that, all of us should be able to agree, generally sucks ass. Even more so than regular camping.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
I think spawn camping is one of those things that, all of us should be able to agree, generally sucks ass. Even more so than regular camping.
/looks hurt

I *like* spawn camping. It's the up-close personal equivalent of deep interdiction bombing, it takes a lot of luck and maneuver (usually) to get into position, and it only takes one death for each enemy to find out I'm doing it. When I get camped my response is HA! YEW BASTICHE! and spawn at the next nearest place and run over to avenge myself.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
Some spawn points will certainly be campable: galaxies, for example. However, everything else we have seen has been barricaded up, and I hope it stays that way. I think spawn camping is one of those things that, all of us should be able to agree, generally sucks ass. Even more so than regular camping.
Here's the problem... friendlies can't get in the barricade and enemies stay when the spawn flips; hence spawn camping.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Here's the problem... friendlies can't get in the barricade and enemies stay when the spawn flips; hence spawn camping.
Which is why I suggested an idea to get rid of it in my first post. Pretty simple.

To answer your post, Rivenshield, I don't know what you see in camping. It's never really all that fun when you're on the receiving end, but I'm not really sure how you could enjoy doing it either. It doesn't really require skill or particular cunning, but it reaps the rewards anyway. It's a complete subversion of game mechanics.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

what usually happens is the players spawn and were hanging around changing kits/checking out other kits.. and then other team capped the point a few building over and that team began spawning in the tubes

So it looked like SC but actually kinda wasn't.. just the inevidable thing when the points change over so fast.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Yutty
Sergeant

they should put some destroyable turrets in there
Old 2012-07-22, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Haro
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
what usually happens is the players spawn and were hanging around changing kits/checking out other kits.. and then other team capped the point a few building over and that team began spawning in the tubes

So it looked like SC but actually kinda wasn't.. just the inevidable thing when the points change over so fast.
It could be. Someone may get stuck there and then try to make the most out of it. A max could potentially do a lot of damage in that situation, since no one can get back in, though no longer having to spawn in pajamas makes things a little bit better.

I do think distinguishing that not everyone may be doing it on purpose is important though.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
they should put some destroyable turrets in there
Then the turrets get destroyed and the spawn gets camped anyway.

It's less of a problem than in PS1 tho, because you can spawn in as a Max. Better pay some attention to when people in broadcast chat or in your outfit report spawnpoint X being camped.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
Then the turrets get destroyed and the spawn gets camped anyway.

It's less of a problem than in PS1 tho, because you can spawn in as a Max. Better pay some attention to when people in broadcast chat or in your outfit report spawnpoint X being camped.
I don't think it would be such a problem since players, friendly or enemy, can't enter the spawn room from the outside in PS2. The only way in is to spawn into the room. If there were turrets, or a pain field, or anything like that, it would usually kill anyone left in the spawn room, if they didn't rush for the exit.

The only way around it with destroyable turrets would be for the enemy to either destroy the turrets ahead of time knowing that the spawn room was about to flip, or quickly destroy them after the flip.

Either way, spawn camping is not a solid or sustainable tactic in PS2. You can't leave the spawn area to go hack, because you won't be able to get back into the room to camp. You're screwed without a medic to revive you and an engi to give you ammo. You'll also have MAXes and other fully equipped players coming out of the spawn as you mention, so it would be a pretty difficult camp in the first place.

But if we really want to eliminate the possibility of spawn camping no matter how ineffective a tactic it may be, why mess around with turrets and pain fields and weak shit like that? Only freshly spawned troops are meant to be in the spawn room, so why not have any enemies just be insta-killed when the room flips? Think of it like a pain field turned up to 11.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-07-22 at 10:13 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion