Assault Buggies - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Missing Mosquito, last seen near body of water.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2005-03-22, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

Assault Buggies

I've been thinking alot about assault buggies lately and their role in PS. Frankly I've noticed that no one ever seems to pull them, for one obvious reason

Assault Buggy - 3 points
Armored Assault 1+2 - 3 points

Why drive buggies when you can get badass MBT tanks? Theres pretty much no scenario where a buggy is favored over a tank, well, when you are forced to get them when tech plant is down. But even then very few people carry the cert.

I very frequently drive a fully crewed marauder with my outfit, the thing is a total beast, we've been able to topple magriders on a good day. Lightning - well, what doesn't own the lightning =P Even a BFR when I was able to circle him long enough. Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging, I'm not trying to.

I've seen Enforces and Threshers in action, Threshers totally plow infantry, and enforces make short work of most armour if they can stay out of harms way themselves. All the empire specific buggies are very powerful weapons, but no one drives the things.

A change is definetly needed in the certification of them, I can think of two decent solutions,

1: Stop clustering them with the Skyguard and Harasser, or offer it alone for a lower cost.

2: Simply lower the cost of Assault Buggy cert to 2 points. Ground Transport is 2 points, and for those two points you get the amphibious Deliverer and everyones favorite deliverer variant, total monsters on wheels, plus the bangbus. Thats 3 vehicles for 1 cert, same deal as assault buggy yes?

Last edited by Jeffey; 2005-03-22 at 08:19 PM.
Old 2005-03-22, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamorad
First Sergeant

Definately... Threshers pwn everything, tank and infantry, so do enforcers and marauders. It's a shame you rarely see them on the field
Old 2005-03-23, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

You should hear me screaming on vent for our adv hacker whenever I see an abandoned Thresher or Enforcer =P
Old 2005-03-23, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
FatalLight
Sergeant Major

Back when I had rexo assault buggy was my best friend <3 it's an all purpose cert, you got AA, forward assault, and recon.
Old 2005-03-23, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

One good reason. Buggies don't require a Tech plant. They actually used to, a long time ago, but myself and a group of other buggy fanatics harassed the Devs until they gave the buggies this advantage. So, while you're stuck with a Lightning when your Tech plant goes down, buggy drivers are still able to pull their vehicles. Also, remember that Assault Buggy includes the Skyguard, which is an absolutely mean little vehicle. I tend to switch back and forth between buggies. Take an Empire buggy out, and kill infantry until hostile aircraft get ballsy enough to enter my airspace. Then grab a Skyguard, wipe the sky clear, head back and grab the Empire buggy, rinse and repeat.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-03-23, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

I personally find the whole techplant excuse is a little shortcoming. It really seems like an empire will be rendered techless for no more than an hour or so when breaking into a cont, as theres a good threeish+(?) plants on each cont, and it's rare that the invading empire will not have one after two hacks or more. now if techplants were like dropship centres, then it might be a decent reason to make the cost equal to that of MBT tanks.
Old 2005-03-23, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Lowering the cert cost of assault buggies isn't the way to fix them, assuming they need to be fixed. Every vehicle should have a place on the battlefield. This is a concept only recently introduced to the game, but it's here to stay.

Anyway, about the buggies themselves, I seem to recall reading that assault buggies were changed to do extra damage to BFRs. I know that from my experience they do, in fact, do a lot of damage to my BFR. They also have a lot better survivability against a BFR than a tank (except for Magriders). Even if I'm remembering incorrectly and they aren't in fact better against BFRs than normal vehicles, they're still very decent vehicles. Now if only a few mines wouldn't spell their death like every other fast, light vehicle...
Old 2005-03-28, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

I haven't driven a Thresher but once, could a VS give me some details about using the thing? All I know is when I hear one and I'm footing it I usually look for someplace to hide.
Old 2005-03-28, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
jsloan31
Sergeant Major

Misc Info

The Thresher is fun as hell to drive. Hover is nice when you're on a bridge, and there's a Vanguard coming at you the other way; just hop over the railing and duck under the bridge.

Flux Cannon is basically a "point in direction of infantry and pull trigger" gun, and it works exceedingly well at that .
Old 2005-03-28, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
DeepStrikeck
Sergeant Major

But it sucks rocks vs. aircraft. But it's really fun to mow stuff with it, especially MAX units. Got a few of those under my belt when I used to drive the Thresher religiously.
Old 2005-03-28, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

God help you if you go over a minefield though. Its a fast little sucker, which means that by the time you see the mines its already too late.

However, if you're a good driver and stay away from areas that are likely to have enemy CE, it can be a damned powerful little vehicle.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2005-03-29, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Jeffey
Master Sergeant

How does it's armour compare to the marauder and enforcer?
Old 2005-03-29, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

When I carried assault buggies, the only time I pulled a skyguard was when my thresher timer wasn't up. I flat out refuse to drive a harrasser. I end up looking like a 4yo with ADD trying to steer that thing.
Just give me the ability to cert the ESB for 1-2 points, it is all I want out of the buggies anyway.
Old 2005-03-29, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
steeldragon01
Sergeant

Misc Info

I had the assualt buggy cert becuase 1. its fast 2. you could wear rexo 3.its fast
I sold it only to get the bfr
Old 2005-03-29, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Using Assault Buggies are possibly some of the most enjoyable times I've ever had in PS.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion